BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that are currently enjoying your summer adventures, it may seem a little early to be looking ahead to 2011, but for the BCO team the New Year is fast approaching. With only two issues left to publish this year we need to start planning for next year; we start working on our January/February 2011 issue in October. So when heading out for your vacation, a day on the lake, or a camping trip to one of our many beautiful locations this summer, think about how you can turn your outing into a story for BC Outdoors Magazine.

BC Outdoors is currently seeking queries for 2011. We publish seven sport fishing and two hunting and shooting issues each year that feature stories and information about BC’s best sport fishing and outdoors experiences. We are looking for writers who can tell a good story as well provide expertise and valuable information to our readers. This is your chance to share your knowledge with our readers: tell them about your favourite river or lake; introduce them to a new fishing technique or a secret fly that has brought you great success; brag about your best trophy catch or lament about the one that got away; or treat them to a belly-laugh with the tales of your misadventures. Regardless of your subject matter, we expect unbiased, well-researched, accurate and articulate articles free from errors from all of our contributors

We are looking for stories that captivate and engage our readers. We want them to feel compelled to try a new skill, provoked into voicing their opinions about controversial subjects, and pulled to experience all BC has to offer.

SPORT FISHING
Seven Issues: Jan/Feb; March; April (Lake Guide Special); May; Summer; Sept/Oct; and Nov/Dec

We are looking to mix things up a little more this year. How-to articles are a valuable and important part of our magazine, but we are looking for more. We want to include a wider variety of fishing experiences to our arsenal. We need to hear from both salt and fresh water anglers. We want stories from drift fishers, fly-fishers, spin-casters as well as those of you who fish the open ocean for BC’s silver prizes.

We are also looking for those of you who have strong opinions about sport fishing. Bring forward some of the controversial issues that get your blood boiling and investigate them for our readers. Just make sure you can always back up your claims with facts.

for guidelines and other information please email
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
There is no question in my mind that this publication needs a shake up. It has become as stale as week old bread, IMO.

The writing staff are all getting on their new TV show so they need cheap writers. :p

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
There is no question in my mind that this publication needs a shake up. It has become as stale as week old bread, IMO.

The writing staff are all getting on their new TV show so they need cheap writers. :p
I agree Tofinoguy, seems no matter how appealing the title of the article or the picture on the cover, once you open it up and start reading there is basically nothing there worth reading, no content, just basics and fluff. I haven't bought a copy in many years for precisely this reason...you thumb through with the initial hope of something good in there while the wife is doing the rounds shopping and before you know it you've put it down in disappointment and gone to grab some steaks...

Interstingly enough, I look back at some of the old issues I bought when I was younger and see similar, if not the same article in newer editions. Some seem to be just cut and pasted from several old articles with a new picture or two added in, others are just carbon copies.

I wonder a little about this "aspiring writers" ad...I know of a few people that submitted articles over the years that were declined, including myself, only to see new articles the next year or year after on the same topic heading that had never been in any prior issues before. Maybe they're looking for inspiration, new topics to write about...? A clever way of finding out what to write about based on what real fishermen submit...?

Regardless, there is one positive I can give to the mag, the biologist, Trevor Welton (sp.)...he puts some interesting pieces in there, but not worth buying the entire mag over imo...

Definiely agree Tofinoguy, they need shake it up for sure.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
For those of you considering writing an article for any magazine, the old adage is true; get a written contract before doing any work, or at least have a copy certified by a Notary before sending it in.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Rib, but it's the only magazine BC based. I like Island Fisherman. The Internet Forums seem to be the best place to get current info. Maybe we should start a new publication? Would there be enough interest for a publication with some new articles? Seems like newspapers and magazines are a dying breed a sign of the times. Any financial backers out there willing to take on the Internet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts