BC Fishing Reports banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I went out for a couple of hours to Wellington Bar. It is a nice place to BB for Sox, except there are a couple of nasty snags mid bar that eat up a lot of tackle. This is the third time out in the past week. I hit a sockeye and it fought very good. Got it up to the bar and one jump and it was gone. Two guys above us were hooking into them quite regularly. One was a spring that they couldn't get to the beach...somewhere in the 20lb range. We started to hook them a little more frequently and my son landed his first of the evening around 6 pm. It was a beautiful evening with just a little wind keeping us cool.
We landed three sox with me losing 2 and bumping a couple more hit and runs. The one larger buck put on quite the show with some huge leaps that cleared the water by 3 feet. The previous two outings each of us foul hooked a sturgeon...good size that we just couldn't handle. The one we chased in the boat, but it was too much for us on lighter tackle.
Waiting now for the Adams River run to show. Should be a great end of summer fishery this year.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Yes i agree they are fierce fighters when hooked, often jumping out of the water a few times before they come ashore. Probally another week of fun coming up before DFO shuts it down.Fine table fare...cedar plank sockeye fresh from the river,it doesnt get much better then that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Went to Peg Leg this evening, had my 2 sox in about an hour and a half. It was an absolute zoo, have never seen anything like it! We walked in but people in larger 4 x 4 trucks were driving across the channel.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Have my own little spot at work that rocks.
Limited out yesterday in 10 mins (also lost a spring and 3 other socks) on the fly rod.
Today got 6 in 30 mins. Not too shabby without a soul in sight.

Man do these things every fight hard on a fly rod without the extra weight.
Had some clearing the water by at least 4 feet and doing blistering runs (hence why I've lost so many each day). Glad I brought the 8 wt and not the 6.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I dont find sockeye to be much of a fight... actually it reminds me of pulling in a sturgeon weight or a stick - lol... The best thing about them is the odd one will be acrobatic but to me I wouldnt say they are a fighting fish - I guess I will have to take the fly rod along and give them a try on that..... sounds like fun
So which flies should I try for sockeye?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I dont find sockeye to be much of a fight... actually it reminds me of pulling in a sturgeon weight or a stick - lol... The best thing about them is the odd one will be acrobatic but to me I wouldnt say they are a fighting fish - I guess I will have to take the fly rod along and give them a try on that..... sounds like fun
So which flies should I try for sockeye?
I have noticed the wet stick fight as well on the gear rods, totally different on the fly rod, the fights are insane.
They can pull and run better and jump a lot more because a 2 ounce weight isn't pulling them down.
IMO they are the best fighting fish pound for pound in freshwater (on the right gear). If you hook them during red spring season (yes they actually bite) in the Vedder during July you will know what I mean.

Sorry to inform but Im pretty sure I was just fly flossing them.
Getting them all on the swing, just use your normal big hook with some wool on it, a heavy sink tip and a 6 ft leader and hang on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Iv probably caught as many sockeye has I have steelhead, and Im with everyday they are a great fighting fish pound for pound. But if you want the best fighting fish, hands down Coho.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yes I know as they say - sockeye are just flossed - but this year I landed 2 sockeye which sure felt like a bite to me and when I pulled them in - the hook was square in the beak of the fish -(not on the side of their mouths like normally flossed fish are) plus one time on the bar set up we caught a sockeye - which again was right in the beak.... in my opinion - they do bite... most are flossed - yes.... but I do think they do bite... Just my opinion of course...
Anyways I am going to try the fly rod - only have a sinking line though... try with a weighted fly and see how it goes...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with fishnfvr about whether they bite or not. I do get some that are inside the mouth. I had one thursday that had the hook deep in its mouth. As for the fight. When I use a light weight and short leader, the sockeye can give a good fight. If you don`t reem in the fish right away and give the sockeye a chance to realize it is hooked, it will give a better

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well I have had the same as most as in all things it just depends on the situation,----- just my opinion . Getting one on the fly rod would be sweet like most we never take the time at sock fever as they are great table fair, we get are 2 each and fly home.
As far as the fight, we have had some of are best days with tons of laughs for all on the socks, but I will go with the all mighty COHO WHAT A SCRAPPY FISH. N ice to see all are having so much fun chow for now.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Iv probably caught as many sockeye has I have steelhead, and Im with everyday they are a great fighting fish pound for pound. But if you want the best fighting fish, hands down Coho.
Really?
I live on the island and target coho 10 mins from the salt or even in the salt and find sockeye to still be a better fight on a 6 wt rod.
I find the socks jump a lot more and don't give up as easy. Coho tend to do a few runs, 2 or 3 jumps or rolls on the surface and the rest of the fight is just headshakes and the infamous coho roll that loses them right at the edge.

I have also landed a few sockeye this year right in the beak. I still don't think they are biting, I think they either toss the hook and get re-hooked or you are just late on the hook-set as the hook is going through their mouth. I know they will bite in clear water but I think trying to get them to bite in the Fraser will mostly be a waste of time, they will bite but not very often and you'll be out all day to get 1 or 2 fish MAYBE.

Fishnfvr.. I was using the sink tip with a 6 ft lead. Can add a split shot to get you down and knick bottom.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Try hooking a sockeye on the vedder...they fight way better than coho or most steelhead.
they are a very tough fish to get to hit sometimes. they will take shrimp under a float and occasionally a blade or roe. The odd time on the Fraser they will take a spin n glo...every sockeye bottom bounced or hooked on the fly in the fraser mainstem is flossed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have my own little spot at work that rocks.
Limited out yesterday in 10 mins (also lost a spring and 3 other socks) on the fly rod.
Today got 6 in 30 mins. Not too shabby without a soul in sight.

Man do these things every fight hard on a fly rod without the extra weight.
Had some clearing the water by at least 4 feet and doing blistering runs (hence why I've lost so many each day). Glad I brought the 8 wt and not the 6.
Wondering what your set up is for the fly rod. I am hoping to try on the fly but not sure what the set would be.

Appreciate the tips.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Went out again today with a buddy who only gets weekends off to fish.I usually avoid the weekend crowds but wanted my buddy to get his limit of socks.Took the boat out and got away from the crowds and wow had to share the bar i fish with one other boat! After hearing the fishing slowed down a bit on friday and saturday i found the fishing today to be the same as it has every other time ive been out in the last two weeks with the boat which is gang busters! We limited out quite quickly and left the area to return home...my buddies elderly parents were very happy to recieve a fresh sockeye to eat for supper which made the trip very worth while. Been a great run of sockeye this summer and it continues!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wondering what your set up is for the fly rod. I am hoping to try on the fly but not sure what the set would be.

Appreciate the tips.
Just use a heavy sink tip or if you are worried its not getting down use a split shot on your leader.
All my fish have been within 15 feet of shore, but then again I'm fishing way upriver in faster water.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Although I mostly flyfish, I haven't had the pleasure to fight sockeye on the fly. I hope that changes this season:) But as far as the fight goes, they were tail-walking and taking some crazy runs on our trolling gear up north on the salt chuck! I was so surprised how strong they really are!

BTW, I have a full report from a buddy up north, with the Fraser Sox that are flying through. Folks, another huge huge push is showing up there now. A buddy hooked 18,,couldn't get those darn things off! Apparently it's the early stages of the Adams strain:) I'll paste it on another report on here with a separate post! It's a matter of time before they hit here:) Get ready friends!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.