BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy!

I went fishing in the Skagit River for a few hours yesterday. The water is low, as can be expected this time of year. We decided to start at the 26 mile bridge and walk downstream, as I have not explored this part of the river in a few years.

There were a few fishable pools within reasonable distance from the bridge, though I am sure the pools around the Silvertip campground, Strawberry or Rhododendron bar would have been more productive.

I caught 3 rainbows in the 12-14 inch range and lost one. Would have caught more, but we spent a lot of time taking pictures and videos as well. We got some amazing underwater footage thanks to my girlfriend filming.

I am unable to post the video here because you need to have five posts before posting links or embeding videos, so for now if you want to see it, search Youtube for "skagit river underwater". It's currently the first video the shows up, by username vaporeyez.

Perhaps someone with more than 5 posts will be nice enough to embed the video in a reply to this post for everyone to see.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Here you go. Tell your GF she did a fine job with the camera. So you were nymphing?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for linking to that for me. You guessed it. We were nymphing the whole time with the same gold bead headed nymph with a green body, probably about a size 14. I am not sure what it is called, but will post a picuture tomorrow.

I really like catching fish on the dry fly, but nymphing always seems to be more produtive for me at the Skagit. Although I have had a lot of success with stimulators, deer hair caddis, tom thumb, irresistable adams, etc.

I did notice a lot of large sealed up caddis fly cacoons that might still hatch in numbers. It would be nice to be on the river if that were to happen!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Very nice. Cool to see local underwater footage. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Definitely try the underwater video. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. I was using a Canon Powershot D10.

I promised a picture of the fly I was using and now I am a bit embarrassed, because after ransacking all the pockets in my vest, I believe I left the flies we had on at the edge of the grass at the 26 mile bridge parking area. A present for the next guy! Hint: they can be found next to two bright yellow strike indicators. Anyway, it was a size 14 gold ribbed bead headed hares ear with a green body like this one:

17953.jpg
View attachment 2843

I will have to pick up some more, but I still have some light brown and tan ones that work just fine. Not that it usually matters too much. Those Skagit fish seem to take nymphy looking critter.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Your net have knots in it, caddisguy? Just askin' as it looked like it in the video and there are plenty out there without. Nice vid BTW.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your net have knots in it, caddisguy? Just askin' as it looked like it in the video and there are plenty out there without. Nice vid BTW.
Yeah I need to ditch that net. My gf was sporting my good net and my good waders. At least she has her own boots now. I might try doing the next video without the net at all.

Reminds me of something funny that happened that day. I actually had a fish jump out of the water and hit my backside right around where the net was hanging. That was a first. It would have been even more funny if it managed to net itself somehow.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
No worries, not dissing you. Catch and release nests are cheap. Think my long handle one was about 30 bux.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would it be worth my while to start my day of fishing at Ross Lake with a 11' Zodiac. Would I be able to go up stream at all from Ross with a small boat. Or should I just leave the boat at home and start wading.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No worries, not dissing you. Catch and release nests are cheap. Think my long handle one was about 30 bux.
Good point dude, the net texture makes a huge difference in survival rate, but his care to keep the fish wet was exellent. Small stream trout fishing is the jewel of fly angling(in my opinion) and it is also one of the most sensitive fisheries. We should all treat those little guys like gold and maybe we will get some bigger fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts