BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know charter and buget don't go together but I would like to take a day of fishing I cold book for about 250 for my person and about 250 for my other expeness, for two to three days. Other expeness would be booze, food and ext. I would like the potential for a good size fish. To date I've been lucky but if I'm not fine with me... I've had my share.
Any ideas?
Places?
Or person wanting to share, I alway like a fellow fisher that is a eger as me - whether or not the big fish is caught by me.
Have fun, Jason.

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Jason...

Let me know what you come up with.....I could probably be enticed into a few days. Hell...we could go out with Korsch or Bonnie and save $$$ on accomodations and get dropped off right at the Sandbar for cocktails and perusing the local female population. :thumbup:

Seriously though I could possibly get into it in August. I know for inexpensive you can look to Princess ????; the bigger boats over in Tofino or Ucluelet. But getting 2 or 3 guys on with a smaller charter would give ~$750.00 per day which could be better than being shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of tourists wearing sandals with black knee high socks on one of the Princess boats.

Scott

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking on the net and there seems to be some good deal in Port Hardy. Maybe the possiblity of renting just the boat. Check my PM. The Alberni canal is an option too.
Anyone else itching for a fishing trip in August?
Have fun, Jason

· Registered
30 Posts
Ok guys not the same issue but I’d like to try get into some halibut, both in July and August. The 4 people per boat sounds perfect but it’s the travel time that will be an issue for me. Since I have no idea what’s involved is it reasonable to think that I could drive (from North Vancouver) in the afternoon or evening get to the marina, spend the night, fish for the day and head back that evening or the next morning? Or does good halibut fishing require a bigger commitment? I have at least one or two guys that might be interested [Pippen I’m looking at you (LOL)] I just have no idea about the logistics.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
You guys are on the right track.....Just keep in mind the following.
What type of fish do you want to catch?
Where do you want to fish?
How much do you want to spend?
I ask these simple questions for the following reasons. Certain species are hot one week and gone the next all along the coast in the summer. In August, there are PLENTY of fishing opportunities close to home......no need to travel too far.
Go with a reputable guide, and "share" the boat for the day. Two guys is fine for the Ocean and as many as four would be fine for Sturgeon on the Fraser.
Expect to pay $2-300 bucks per day per person. Multiple days can be negotiated with the guide.
Before you shout.. :eek:.....look at the savings and the experience.
You WILL catch fish with a guide
No wasted time
No gear hassles
Nothing to do but take in the local scenery and have fun!
The money spent on Motels & BC Ferries & Gas would be better spent doing what Pippen suggested....get dropped off at Granville Island, a quick shower & change and spend the night at the local bars, and G. I. Hotel or take one of the Harbour Ferries to a buget hotel on Howe St.
If you really have to do a road trip in August I would suggest the Alberni Canal....It will be full of heavyweights heading to the Stamp....You could also go to Bamfield and fish for Hali's.......PM me if you want more info.....been many times and know some great guides.....Try camping and save even more!!..Ortho 8)

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Budget hotel?!?!? Hell.....I can just head home in a cab for $15.00.

I am not too concerned with budget but the logistics can be a bit of a pain with the ferries and getting up to Hardy. It is a good full day of travel each way from Vancouver. Flying would likely be the most sensible given the price of gas, ferries and the savings on likely an extra night of accomodation.

Zacon.....we don't tend to get out fishing in the summer as we are usually cruising but if you want to look at a local day charter around Vancouver I would be all over it. I think Bon Chovy leaves from either Granville Island or Coal Harbour and there are good patios nearby to sip and cold one and revel in ALL the fish we landed during the day!! Out in the local waters there are springs to target, a good run of ho's....sockeye towards the mouth of the Fraser and this is a 'pink' year. Things will likely be pretty good right through the summer months given all there is to target. BTW.......you still looking for an end of June/early July arrival?

Jay....I am all over any sort of ideas you have. I have lots of holidays to burn this summer and my girlfriend is gone for a few weeks in August for some big family thing in Europe. Although Zacon is an "easterner" ::)......I have been back and forth with him for a few months about his imminent arrival out here, and he seems like not a bad guy ;). I think he really needs an 'intro' to the West Coast.

Ortho....thanks for the input, it is always appreciated from a good "reliable" source!! ;) A lot of good things to consider. I know the local waters are pretty good in the summer but I can also agree with Jay that maybe seeing some different scenery would be a nice change. Plus the coho's around the Cap can get pretty tight lipped out in the salt once they spend much time out front. It can be amazing when you get some fresh fish showing up.

· Registered
3,928 Posts
zaconb said:
Ok guys not the same issue but I’d like to try get into some halibut, both in July and August. The 4 people per boat sounds perfect but it’s the travel time that will be an issue for me. Since I have no idea what’s involved is it reasonable to think that I could drive (from North Vancouver) in the afternoon or evening get to the marina, spend the night, fish for the day and head back that evening or the next morning? Or does good halibut fishing require a bigger commitment? I have at least one or two guys that might be interested [Pippen I’m looking at you (LOL)] I just have no idea about the logistics.
Rick....for Hali's it is going to be a trek via Ferry and highway, or a flight to save time. You could do a "day" trip to some hali waters, but it would be a pretty good haul for one day of fishing. I am not sure what things are like off Victoria for Halibut into the summer but it would be the closest. Other than that you take a ferry from "north van/horseshoe bay" which is about 1.5 hours over to Nanaimo. From there it is about 2 hours North to Campbell River which has "good" fishing. It is about 5 hours up Island to Port Hardy/McNeil area or you can go across towards Tofino/Ucluelet. (these are rough estimates of driving times) I am not sure about the driving distances to Alberni or Bamfield, but all in all anywhere on the island there is going to be a ferry involved which is generally a pain in the ass and makes a quick day trip with a vehicle a long trek.

If you wanted to look towards salmon......as I said there is no need to look much further than our local waters. The scenery is not as pristine as being up north, but to do a quick trip there is nothing wrong with a day charter in the local chuck. Some of the local guys will run across to the gulf islands as well.

· Banned
189 Posts
Re: August charter on a budget!

zaconb said:
...it’s the travel time that will be an issue for me. Since I have no idea what’s involved is it reasonable to think that I could drive (from North Vancouver) in the afternoon or evening get to the marina, spend the night, fish for the day and head back that evening or the next morning? Or does good halibut fishing require a bigger commitment?
A friend of mine regularly does that and the only problem is falling asleep driving from Port Alberni to Parksville-he's almost gone for a swim a couple of times so an extra night makes a lot of difference.

You could take charter anytime to do it-what I find is that later in the year guides aren't at all motivated to head out to the Big Bank and fish for Halibut because it's more work that just dragging gear for Salmon, more work hauling them up, more work cleaning/packaging the fish.

The end result is guides telling guests that 'Halibut are all gone now, migrated back into the deeps'.

Well some have and some haven't but unless you go out there and start pounding bottom you'll never know and neither will anyone else how many people are targeting Halibut at that time of year anyway?

Watch carefully when asking Guides about Halibut trips later in the season, do they eyes shift a little is, there a catch in the voice, is the body language a little strained?

That's because they are BS'ing you. :naughty:

Another part of the snow job is "Oh we catch them trolling here all the time, we just troll for Salmon and land lots of Halibut" and that does happen.

So does Xmas.

· Registered
30 Posts
Thanks to all for the information, this truly is a great board!
Pippen- Thanks for taking pitty on this easterner :happy:- a day trip out of Vancouver is a done deal I will have lots of time on my hands in July. I was just curious about the Halibut since my wife is already planning a menu around some filets :thumbup:
I’m also excited about trying for sturgeon!
We take possession of our home on July 1st, I’m leaving Quebec around June 20th and I’m camping and fishing my way West.

Dogbreath- thanks for the heads up on the guides , I'll be doing a lot more research before I book!
Cheers

· Registered
3,928 Posts
zaconb said:
Pippen- Thanks for taking pitty on this easterner :happy:- a day trip out of Vancouver is a done deal I will have lots of time on my hands in July. I was just curious about the Halibut since my wife is already planning a menu around some filets :thumbup:
Well....there is Granville Island fish market right by where one of the local guides leave from. You can whip into the market or down on to the fish docks and pick up some filet's before heading home. Just make sure your wife knows that you bought then and don't try to fool her that you caught them in the local waters. You will NEVER get permission for a 2+++ day trip over to the west side of the island to actually catch some hali's.

Have a good trek across! Lots of good fishing through Northern ON on the north shore of Superior. If you haven't driven across the prairies before.....do it at night ::). I am from Wpg originally and have driven across many times.....it is just as dull the first time as the last. :wallbash:

· Registered
606 Posts
Heading out on the Princess boats(puker boats) late June(27th to 29th)...
No tourists on our boat,just 15 hungover firemen(my son and I will be the ones laughing at the rest suffering :happy:)..
Halibut are what we are targeting ,most probably at the 7 mile bank but if weather and reports are good we will probably head out to the 26 mile bank.
Our group has been there several times and always done very well...Helps when you know everyone on the boat..
For $360 you can't beat it for 3 ddays of fun...

· Registered
3,928 Posts
abbyfireguy said:
For $360 you can't beat it for 3 ddays of fun...
Abby....that is per day @$360.00 though right? I have heard good and bad things about the Princess set up. Nothing ever really bad about the business just the "group" type environment. But I guess if you know everyone that would certainly help.

· Registered
606 Posts
We got a good rate. Airfare,leave on the 27th from Vancouver South Terminal, arrive around supper time...Have the evening to bs and walk around town...Fish the 28th and 29th,,,,,fly home after dinner on the 29th ..All fish arrive with the plane ,iced in coolers and ready to place in your own cooler for the short drive home......We got a good price of $366 per person for the entire package,air,accomodation and 2 days fishing(not per day)...
Some of my friends have a slightly lower price as they are 4 in a cabin(we are 3 in our cabin).
For that price I couldn't say no, esspecially when they guaranteed our group would all be on the same boat...
My son is looking forward to the ocean experience,we don't get out on the salt too much as most of our time is spent on the river...
I am trying to do as much with the kids before they get too old and don't want to go anywhere with the old farts.. :happy:
Last three years, this group has all limited out and has had a great time in a very beautiful area of B.C.
Hope all the pictures I plan on taking are good ones(not too many of guys bent over the railing chumming).. :wallbash:
I don't get to do this very often so plan on making the most of it..

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Wow....that is one hell of a package price!!

When you say limit out, is it salmon and hali's or just one of the two? I may have to look into that as maybe a quick cheapie type weekend with some buddies.

I was going to head North with my Dad from MB this summer, but it may have to wait for a Charlotte's trip next year due to a busy summer with work for both of us.

· Registered
347 Posts
Abby, what a package for the price, best of luck. Very mixed results down here with what we call party boats, large crowds of 12 to some of them say 50 people. Sea sick hints if you all are interested, works for us and my crowd: nights before, get some sleep, moderate dinner and limit the alcohol, next day little to no food and drink water only, back in moderate dinner and repeat the next day. Never been sick following this. Salt.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.