BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new reel and it's rated for a wf8f + 200 yards of 20 lb backing.
I want 30 lb and some more yardage.
Anyone ever use braid for backing, like tuff line, fireline.... etc ???
Just thinkin :-\

·
Registered
694 Posts
Gel spun backing might be a better choice. I'm not sure if Tuff line is thinner than backing. Out of curiousity though. Why do you need more than 150yrds? You in big water or open water?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why the poundage and yardage. I have seen a few guys lose thier Flyline.
Hatch Match'r ties on a glued double nail knot. I like that!! Waiting for the glue to dry and talking with Peter was a an added bonus!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
694 Posts
The Rio lines are all nice, the Rio gand I think sits a little heavier than normal weight so it should load the rod good. But I don't really see the point in the 50lbs test.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have Gel Spun in many of my larger flyfishing outfits because I tend to like reels slightly on the smaller side, especially in single handers. My Bauer M4SL loaded with a Rio 8wt Versitip is one example. You don't want your fingers anywhere near gel spun or braided line when a fish takes off...trust me on that. Let the drag of your reel do its job, and if you need a little more control, hopefully it has an exposed rim so you can palm it. A properly loaded large arbor reel with the right dimensions shouldn't need your finger to guide the line back on as you wind it. Reels that stack line too much often are the wide and shallow variety.

One thing about brightly coloured backing that I don't particularly like is that they often stain the end of your flyline the same colour. This is not really a big deal, as it doesn't affectg performance, but it's just a little bit annoying.

The Rio Grand is a nice line. I'm somewhat of a Rio fan myself. Matched with the right rod, you'll have no problems turning over larger/heavier flies over longer distances.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
finseeker said:
Why the poundage and yardage. I have seen a few guys lose thier Flyline.
Hatch Match'r ties on a glued double nail knot. I like that!! Waiting for the glue to dry and talking with Peter was a an added bonus!!! :thumbup:
A cemented double nail knot is the only way to go. :cheers:

Finder

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
jetboatjim said:
You want distance ? you need the CND GPS in a 5-6 wt for your 8 wt. I used it for summers this year and it really casts big flies with little effort.

But at 140$ a line, better not step on it. :wallbash:
Hey Jim, isn't that the pink line? :) I always wanted a pink line :peace:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.