BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While fishing with some Irishmen this weekend they showed me a lure that was sold to them from a local fishing store. They were told its a great choice for catching pinks. They were not advised at all that you are not allowed to use a 3 prong with barbs.Completely useless illegal lure for fishing salmon on the Vedder. Are they that "dirty" of a business where they would mislead a foreigner to make 8 bucks?
I find this horrible!

Thoughts?

Any other experiences like this? pinklure.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fishcreature... I get that... but when a customer comes in from another country you would think that a store a located a few blocks from the River would be more proactive about educating on gear and regs... You just as a regular fisherman... if you saw a foriegner with that lure in his hand would you not advise them just out of friendly fisherman advise?
I will also mention that the first time I walked into this store I was treated rudely and sold rotten roe. Never stepped back in there again.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yes I understand. I would let the person know about the restriction if I seen him or her using it where they are not suposed to. But what im saying is even if they are not from around here they should still look at the rules and regulations before fishing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly... and they did check the regs. Thats why they never used it... and to be truthful, that lure is almost impossible to break the damn hook off. It took large bold cutters to get through that treble hook and these guys were big Irish dudes...lol!

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
A pair of Kliens would have them off in short order but quite honestly there is no excuse the second the mistake
is identified and properly delt with resulting it full compliance granting peace and happiness for all...:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Saw the same thing happened to me in a store in Langley. The fellow and his son were standing in line to pay for their goods and they had everything you need from rods, reels, line, etc, etc. They also had lures with treble hooks so I asked them where they were going fishing and they replied up the Fraser for pinks. I then advised them to be sure and change the hook to a single barbless but the guy got a bit huffy with me at first and basically told me to mind my own business. After a few more seconds though he asks me why he should change the hooks and I tell him because they are illegal to use where he plans on fishing. Well now its on between him and the sales guy who appeared from the aisles after listening in on the conversation. This guy was none too happy that he had almost been sold goods he legally wasn't allowed to use as is and had to modify. I don't know the outcome as I paid for my stuff and left but I can see why he would be angry.

Regardless of what regs exist, some people get their start in angling later in life and need some coaching as to what to do in order to be sure what they are doing is legal and correct.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
Saw the same thing happened to me in a store in Langley. The fellow and his son were standing in line to pay for their goods and they had everything you need from rods, reels, line, etc, etc. They also had lures with treble hooks so I asked them where they were going fishing and they replied up the Fraser for pinks. I then advised them to be sure and change the hook to a single barbless but the guy got a bit huffy with me at first and basically told me to mind my own business. After a few more seconds though he asks me why he should change the hooks and I tell him because they are illegal to use where he plans on fishing. Well now its on between him and the sales guy who appeared from the aisles after listening in on the conversation. This guy was none too happy that he had almost been sold goods he legally wasn't allowed to use as is and had to modify. I don't know the outcome as I paid for my stuff and left but I can see why he would be angry.

Regardless of what regs exist, some people get their start in angling later in life and need some coaching as to what to do in order to be sure what they are doing is legal and correct.
A conscious does not come with the receipt, nor is it the responsibility of the salesperson to explain
where when and how. This is why most if not all tackle / hunting shops have guides and regs. right
at the check-out. There is no excuses. This topic has come up a many times in the past and no matter
how you slice it there is only one side that matters......

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I think that we all share the responsibility to inform of regs with a big disclaimer that the regs change and it is best to get first hand information about regs by actually checking them.

On the other hand, tackle shops in the Valley should be able to at the very minimum ask where their customers are fishing and its a pretty good chance it will be a river and regardless of the species targeted, it will be single barbless. This is just good business practice, getting to connect with clients.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I went to a tackle store in a different country and was handed a lure that had a barbed treble hook on it I would be like "cool man, thanks. By the way , are these legal here because I am not allowed to fish with them at home" Regardless of what his answer was I would make sure to leave the store with a copy of the regs. You wouldn't go to Home Depot and take the guy's advice on how to repair your plumbing without doing some of your own research would you?

·
Registered
363 Posts
If the sales person at the store was smart, they would inform the person and suggest a packet of single hooks to go along with their lure purchase. They would be doing the right thing, and be making MORE money. Not all people in this world have common sense, just look at the riverbank.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If I went to a tackle store in a different country and was handed a lure that had a barbed treble hook on it I would be like "cool man, thanks. By the way , are these legal here because I am not allowed to fish with them at home" Regardless of what his answer was I would make sure to leave the store with a copy of the regs. You wouldn't go to Home Depot and take the guy's advice on how to repair your plumbing without doing some of your own research would you?
Yes and no, depending on how the lure was presented to the angler. The sales person could have said something like "use this, it'll do the job!". It should be up to the store to do the right thing and inform people of the regs regardless. AND it should be up to the angler to know the regs as well, double coverage is a good thing.

If I owned a store, I would make sure my staff knows the regulations and preached the regulations on a regular basis.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is very unfortunate.

Maybe the sales person was having an off day and forgot to mention it?

However, if it's the store I think it is, I have not had very good dealings there either. At the very least, copies of the regulations should be offered up with purchases, or a simple "are you aware of the fishing regulations?"

There are some tackle stores out there that have actually offered to switch out the hook for me upon purchase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the biggest point to this is... 2 responsible fisherman enter a well known store in Chilliwack and asked to be set up with what they need to fish pinks in the Vedder... The "salesperson" hands them a lure with a big ass 3 prong hook and says "this will them"
COME ON!!! yes its up to the fisherman to read and understand the regs... But you are a tackle shop promoting the sport, and responsible fishing.

For example... My first time in Pacific Angler (Main and Broadway in Vancouver) they sold me a coho killer... before even asking he opened it, cut off the 3 prong and attached the proper sized single hook and pinched the barb... NOW thats a responsible fishing store with ethics. I suggest boycotting this store in Chilliwack... You all know the one...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is very unfortunate.

Maybe the sales person was having an off day and forgot to mention it?

However, if it's the store I think it is, I have not had very good dealings there either. At the very least, copies of the regulations should be offered up with purchases, or a simple "are you aware of the fishing regulations?"

There are some tackle stores out there that have actually offered to switch out the hook for me upon purchase.
"Forgot" to mention you can't use a 3 prong hook??? Come on!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its always good to check the regs before you fish any body of water. Whether the fishing store tells you one thing or another. Wasn't there a thread on this no more than a month ago. Your responsible for knowing the regs, and getting proper clarification on the regs by your local CO. I understand this guy was from out of town so he might not know where those resources are know, but with how many foreign people we have in BC how is the tackle store supposed to know.
It makes sense to educate their staff, but i have never been told to switch out the hooks at any store. Although i don't buy things that have treble hooks on it anymore. It seems as though people are coming to the age where they can't think for themselves. Its not the responsibility of everyone else to tell you what you can and can't do all the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its called good customer service... Which that store does NOT have... Thats why the 8 or so thousand I've spent on gear over the last couple years goes to stores like Pacific Angler or Michael and Young where they spend the time to give you advice and help... not just sell you rotten roe and rush you out the door.
The first time I walked in that store I had never used a float set up. I asked how to use the stoppers and was told in a real douchebag way "google it"

Its always good to check the regs before you fish any body of water. Whether the fishing store tells you one thing or another. Wasn't there a thread on this no more than a month ago. Your responsible for knowing the regs, and getting proper clarification on the regs by your local CO. I understand this guy was from out of town so he might not know where those resources are know, but with how many foreign people we have in BC how is the tackle store supposed to know.
It makes sense to educate their staff, but i have never been told to switch out the hooks at any store. Although i don't buy things that have treble hooks on it anymore. It seems as though people are coming to the age where they can't think for themselves. Its not the responsibility of everyone else to tell you what you can and can't do all the time.

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
Ok out the window with everything. With this day and age of internet and the license and gear is all bought
on line.........NOW WHAT ? Almost half of all purchases and info is going to be ,if it isnt already,going to be
at our fingertips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts