BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......for those of us who where hoping to "swing" down to the OP this spring, sad such a great looking river with such nice fly water. Hopefully this closure will put some pressure on managers to decrease netting of steelies at the mouths of many OP rivers.

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

March 27, 2008

Hoh River will close to protect wild steelhead

OLYMPIA - The Hoh River and the South Fork Hoh River on the north coast of the Olympic Peninsula will close to all sport fishing April 3 to protect wild steelhead, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) announced today.

The closure will take place at 12:01 a.m. on April 3 and the rivers will not re-open through the remainder of the season. The Olympic National Park also will close portions of the two rivers that lie within the park's boundary.

The fishery closure is needed to meet the wild steelhead spawning escapement goal of 2,400 fish, said Bill Freymond, WDFW regional fish manager.

Other rivers regulated by WDFW on the Olympic Peninsula will remain open for fishing as listed in the WDFW 2007-08 Fishing in Washington pamphlet http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/fishregs.htm . Information on other fishing opportunities within Olympic National Park is available at http://www.nps.gov/olym/fishing.htm .

Fishing on the Hoh and South Fork Hoh rivers had been scheduled through April 15. Future regulations will be announced later this spring when WDFW's new 2008-09 Fishing in Washington pamphlet is published, Freymond said.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Pat AV said:
Hopefully this closure will put some pressure on managers to decrease netting of steelies at the mouths of many OP rivers.
In a perfect world, this may persuade them to do something different in regards to the fish management. However, since Boldt and $$$ came around........I can't hold my breath. Sad scene over there. :(

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Thrasher said:
Pat AV said:
Hopefully this closure will put some pressure on managers to decrease netting of steelies at the mouths of many OP rivers.
In a perfect world, this may persuade them to do something different in regards to the fish management. However, since Boldt and $$$ came around........I can't hold my breath. Sad scene over there. :(
Sad scene for the Hoh?...or all O.P. rivers? ???

Finder

·
Registered
956 Posts
Sad scene in regards to the general direction of most of the OP rivers since the Boldt decision came about. As long as they are making $$$ and are federally governed, it will be hard to ever turn things around.

·
Registered
956 Posts
However, the numbers that are taken are grossly abused well over 50%. Originally, their netting was supposed to be for subsistence and ceremonial purposes only. It was not planned to have them sitting in a roadside van at every corner on the Peninsula, selling wild steel head. Nor were the nets to be left in rivers, completely blocking the travel ways, around the clock unattended.

Like I said....Sad

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It makes me want to cry just thinking about it :'(

It must be very hard just to drive by somthing like that..........I had a conversation over some beers around the campfire on the Cascade with a great guy from WA. He said alot of the gillnetted OP steelies end up being sold as crab bait........... :pissed:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have seen pictures from the OP of steelhead and kings, that have been netted, hauled to shore, and left lying on the bank to rot. Why? I can't think of one good reason. I have also seen pictures of many fish laying, rotting in the back yards of tribal members.

It is a total waste of a once bountiful resource.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Down here in the states all we have had is bad news. However over harvest is starting to get some press and the Costal Conservatory Association have promised that if the sportys will ban together they will take up our fight. So let your voice be heard and join CCA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.