BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the word on bait busters? they look awesome i bought one 4 inch in green but have trouble getting the right action on this lure! anyone used it with any success sent or no sent?

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
there is a boat in port renfrew that runs them. that is the only person i have ever heard running them and most the time hes trolling achovies :?
have you checked thier website?

·
Registered
143 Posts
To adjust the roll, undo the velcro from the other side to set the bend you want to set the roll. Yes they work.....BUT are not worth the money you have to pay. After you've hooked afew springs on them they get thrashed and ragged. Forget about the scent...thats just BS.....soak it in your oily bilge like Charlie White and it will still work. Copared to spoons of the same money...you'll get far more out of a stewart or coyote than the OVER priced Bait Buster.

A

·
0 Posts
so bait buster is a flop for the money u have to pay? thanx for the tip on the proper action i have one in my box but could never get the right roll! i think i will stick to spoons and bait for i have never cought a salmon using hootchie but i'll start a new thread on that one!

C.K.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
never under-estimate the hootch. ive had years where needlefish hotchies have out produced bait on big springs. also there is a secret hootchie that will out produce bait any day of the week on the west coast for springs (doesnt seem to work in the straits). unfortunatly they dont make the colour anymore and they are hard to come by. they do make a similar one that doesnt seem to work the same

·
Registered
816 Posts
I agree with Fishaholic, there is hoochie for everyday. Unfortuantly, I think too many of the patterns today are glow which is not always a good thing. There use to be a dark blue with a light purple strip and two lime stirps... I though the guy selling it to me was giving me a line but it consistanly caught spring in April and May. But by far the best lure ever is The Lure from Charley White, it was the only non-sented or baited lure to catch dogfish reguarilly... and never did you have to worry about pesky salmon. :wink:
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hootchies around vancouver? do they work? the only hootchie i herd that works is the skunk or cop car as well as army truck maybe i'll look into the whole hootchie thing and when i'm fishing the chuck with my partner i'll put an o'le hootchie on one of the 4 rods were dragging! thanx!

C.K.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In all reality around the Van area, lower gulf islands, hootchies have been a huge part of my box for 30 years now. If I had to say the most consistant over the years has been a 3 1/5 to 4 inch white and green, I maintain several different hootchies for local fishing here and the white and green in all different shades is one of my favorites. Several of our fish right in Van harbour, Cap mouth, Fraser mouth are taken every year on these white and green's. I like a 36 to 54 inch leader behind any favorite flasher. We took a number over 20 with the biggy being a 42 with these plastic baits. They are my mainstay along with anchovy or herring if I am trolling. Get some!!!

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
white and green - fantasic hootchie. the army truck, purple haze, the ole peanut butter all work really well (along with many others) i am a really big fan of the needle fish style i have really good luck with those. or one that i found that is now going to be not so top seceret: take a white/green or green back w/scale and glow belly, instead of the mylar insert use a pink squirt. trim off the legs of the the big hootchie to the length of the squirt. give that a wirl on winter springs, coho as well :wink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
During winter spring season and anytime off sidney, prple haze squirts and hootcies are my go to lure. They also work well for chums in the fall.

·
Banned
187 Posts
I like to use pink hoochies for coho and pinks. If you put them on then tie a # 4 hook on you leader they also were good for fly fishing for pinks.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I don't know where you obtained your info on the baitbusters, but I took them up to Pt. Hardy last year after talking to the reps and the people at Berry's in Richmond. I bought several in different colours and sizes and they outfished all the coyotes,hootchies and live bait 2-1........Coho absolutely love them when trolled fast near the surface.....We caught several springs in the 30 lb. range on the largest chrome/gold combo they make trolled at 60 ft. at first light.........I'm not a big fan of scent, but the scented ones caught more fish than the ones we did not scent on identical gear.....Ortho

·
Registered
35 Posts
Us fishing folk are a salesmans dream. We all repeatedly (myself included) line up to open up our wallets and hand out the green for a chance to try out the newest gimmick. My tackle box is so crammed full of new crap (half of it unopened) that every time I hit a wave wrong I have to untangle it all. But the funniest part of all of this is that when the fishing is truely lousy we all head straight back to that good old favorite that dad taught you how to use........whether it's an old strip teaser, favorite hootchie etc. We only really get to fish our new toys when the fishing is so good that your arms hurt. I have personally seen the baitbuster fish amazingly last summer in Bamfield but the fishing was so hot that is really didn't matter. All the gear was working.

just my two cents.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Breiber, my only issue with the bait buster is there not lasting, Springs teeth seem to shred them as compared to a spoon or the likes. There price is a little bit out there too. They do work though....just another tool in the chest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
High tide, I do agree with you. The baitbusters don't seem to stand up. If you want to imitate the roll of a herring with something synthetic then why not stick with APEX they work well and are more durable then the baitbuster. Although I must also add in defense of the baitbuster that from my experience a baitbuster will last long enough to recoup it's costs in saved anchovies if your second choice was to fish bait. And I have fished it on the same boat with anchovies running out the other side. The fishing was hot and neither method a noticeable advantage.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I particularly like the "cam shaft grinding" and "animal planet panda cam" items on the list...
...they sound real dirty! :lol: :lol: :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
ribwart said:
I particularly like the "cam shaft grinding" and "animal planet panda cam" items on the list...
...they sound real dirty! :lol: :lol: :roll:
Sure, But the 15 year old girls cam is by far the lowest thing ever.........

Mike <")))))><

1 - 17 of 17 Posts