BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FishFreak you said in the other thread one of the main things you look for in roe is that it has to have no smell. I know that blood in your roe is a NO!NO! but no smell, fresh roe has a scent that you want and if you want better roe add krill scent ie Pautzke's fire cure ;) This is what makes a fish hold on to great bait that split second longer 8) So for me smell is HUGE ;D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Guys who use roe for a living know exactly what bait additives such as chemicals, amino acids, bite stimulants and various fish attracting scents can do to a egg cure.
theres alot more to creating SUPER eggs than just sprinkling pro cure or other store bought brands of cure on your eggs and laying out to dry.
It's not all about the color, or look.
I've been curing eggs for 20 years and still learn more about what fish like all the time, it's an on going experiment and one that can result in eggs that suit different fish in different situations.
There is no one cure for all fisheries, you have to be flexible and carry multi cures to find exactly which will work best.
If it was all about the visual, then roe bags , that lack milking power, would be the best option.

Steelhead being dumb, will take most cures and roe bags with no question asked.
But having a different cure with additives can and does see an angler catch fish when others roe failed, happens all the time.
I have come up with additives to my cures that Chinook go crazy for, not only do they hammer the stuff, they won't let go, it's all about the smell and flavor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What about curing Steelhead roe? I caught a nice 12lb doe last week and was thinking of curing the eggs, but I haven't found much info on curing.

Anyone out there curing these little buggers?

G

·
Jbarnes, Go and click this link this is my basic roe cure for all around roe , I have other cures i do for certain things but here is an idea of how i do some of my roe and it works.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have a couple buddies that always catch everything on roe, they have this formula that they add, different substances and it doesn't look like any roe that i've seen before, its orange and that but it just doesn't seem to look that good to fish with but they out fish everyone with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts