BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have been looking into getting a new rod and reel combination after attempting to go for salmon on a spinning rod. It seems like everyone suggests for salmon to either get a baitcaster or a centerpin. From what I have found out it seems like baitcasters are a bit more versatile while centerpin are almost always used for float fishing. As of right now I'm leaning a bit towards baitcaster and have been looking into the Daiwa Luna. Just wondering if anyone could give out some more information or a real comparison between the two or even just your honest opinion and why you have a preference.
Thanks
Jackson

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey everyone,
I have been looking into getting a new rod and reel combination after attempting to go for salmon on a spinning rod. It seems like everyone suggests for salmon to either get a baitcaster or a centerpin. From what I have found out it seems like baitcasters are a bit more versatile while centerpin are almost always used for float fishing. As of right now I'm leaning a bit towards baitcaster and have been looking into the Daiwa Luna. Just wondering if anyone could give out some more information or a real comparison between the two or even just your honest opinion and why you have a preference.
Thanks
Jackson
Hi, Get yourself a nice bait casting set up and then one day get a 2nd set up with a centre pin. The Luna is a nice reel along with the proven Calcutta 400B. As for the rod you can go with the Shimano Convergence 10-20lb 10'6" ($90) or get a Temple Fork Outfitters 11' for ($150). Spend you money on the reel first... When you want to fish all types of water with short and long casts, then the bait caster is the best all around reel. If you are going to a favourite spot that only requires a centre pin then you might enjoy that. It is all preference..
Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
171 Posts
Exactly what he said, it is all preference.I rotate between a few reels for diferent situations.For starting out I would get a baitcaster, that way you can cover a few bases.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with marsman and skyhard. Th baitcaster will be more versatle and according to a fly fisher friend of mine easier to use than learning to use a CP. Assuming you go the baitcaster route. I would strongly suggest you check out the Shimano curado 200 and 300 series reels. They are low profile reels and are more comfortable to cast all day. I like these over the luna or the calcutta.

I use my 201 with a loomis str 1263 rod( 6-12 # test rating) for rivers up to 3X the size of the Vedder and for all salmon except springs.

I use my 301 for all fraser river salmon paired with a Lamiglas 1000 series rod(10 - 20 # test rating)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree start with a baitcaster then go to the pin, the Curado 300 paired to a technium Rod is a great combo and once you go to the pin you won't have to strip everything off when you want to fish spinners and spoons.

This coho season I have been carrying 2 rods and have had great success.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i made the change to a CP 4 years ago, since then i have used my level wind once, very versatile but the only thing it does not do well is throw spoons, love the CP and will never go back.....my preference

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Could a centerpin rod not serve double duty a lightweight downrigger rod?
Will probably work. But be careful as they were designed for float fishing. I use a 10 weight fly rod on my down rigger but need to be extra careful when manually releasing the clip as the tip section does not have a lot of backbone. Also pin rods tend to be longer and sometimes longer rods in a boat can be a pain unless of course you have bigger boat and dance floor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
X2. It's the best way to float fish any river. And when I want to chuck spoons, I bring a spinning rod.

I made the switch a few years ago, and haven't picked up a level wind since. Too many cheap plastic moving parts, and problems with the level winds. If you fish 11 months a year like I do, a level wind is lucky to last a season. Buy quality CP, it will last a lifetime, and you can give it to your grandkids..

i made the change to a CP 4 years ago, since then i have used my level wind once, very versatile but the only thing it does not do well is throw spoons, love the CP and will never go back.....my preference

·
Registered
332 Posts
ive been centrepin fishing for about a year now. i already have 3centrepins. (Islander,Milner and a Campbell)..... After getting the hang of a cp the drifts are flawless and smooth.

my 2 calcuttas and my abuGarcia levelwinds set-ups havent be used since........
Dont get me wrong im not saying levelwinds are bad by any means but maybe just skip the level winds and get a cp........

during salmon season i carry my cp for drifting and a 7ft trout rod to fish spoons, and i have landed a ton of coho on my trout rod.......

good luck, Tangent

·
Registered
332 Posts
Can you use a centerpin out of a driftboat effectively?It should work fine for pulling plugs wouldn't it?
should work! the only problem i think u may encounter using a cp to pull plugs with is the "clicker"(on some reels) may not be strong enough to hold your line in the reel with pulling plugs. Larger, more action and heavier weighted plugs would have much more resistance possibly pulling line out. Your drift speed would play a factor aswell.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I made the switch a few years ago, and haven't picked up a level wind since. Too many cheap plastic moving parts, and problems with the level winds. If you fish 11 months a year like I do, a level wind is lucky to last a season. Buy quality CP, it will last a lifetime, and you can give it to your grandkids..
Don't know what level wind you're using but my Shimano Calcutta and Luna 120 times a season and no problems for me except the odd tune up

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
should work! the only problem i think u may encounter using a cp to pull plugs with is the "clicker"(on some reels) may not be strong enough to hold your line in the reel with pulling plugs. Larger, more action and heavier weighted plugs would have much more resistance possibly pulling line out. Your drift speed would play a factor aswell.
Plug rods are usually shorter and have a faster action too.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
One thing not mentioned here is the retrival rate of your line. A level wind will retrieve your line alot more quickly then a center pin. Faster retrival equals more casts in a day,more casts equals more fish. If you want to be a more effective fisherman go with the levelwind. The other thing is cost,a level wind will be less money then a center pin reel if your just starting out.Good luck out there!Cheers.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
sorry but using a levelwind does not make you a more effective fisherman, more casts in a day does not necessarily equate to more fish, a better drift with a CP can equate to more fish and as for more casts i have never had any problem getting in as many casts as i could want in a days fishing...as stated earlier it is a matter of preference but i think once you try a center pin you will love it

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
sorry but using a levelwind does not make you a more effective fisherman, more casts in a day does not necessarily equate to more fish, a better drift with a CP can equate to more fish and as for more casts i have never had any problem getting in as many casts as i could want in a days fishing...as stated earlier it is a matter of preference but i think once you try a center pin you will love it
You can fish more river much quicker with a level wind.More river,more casts,more fish.How do you get a better drift with a center pin bro?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Couple things....A good quality baitcaster will last a lifetime.Second, I laugh when guys say that CP gives a way better drift, once again if you actually try a quality baitcaster it gives the same drag free drift.It is all simply preference.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts