BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of heading to Belize on a holiday in April and have heard so much about fly fishing in Belize for bone fish, but don't really have any clue what its all about, so if anyone could point me in the direction if they have done it and what kind of fly gear I would need to take that would be a big help.

Cheers

·
Registered
784 Posts
Go on the trip and go out on the flats!!!!!! I can offer a few pieces of adviced on my limited experience fishing for bones. I would take two rods and have both rigged and ready with you. A 7-8wt and a 9-10wt (the bigger rod for those unexpected visitors) both paired with reels that have a dependable and good drag. All the usual items as well... good leader material and a some well tied flies. If this is your first time out I would definitely get a guide, spotting the fish is a large part of the battle and a trained eye is very useful. It is so tempting to head out for the day in a t-shirt and shorts but the sun burn that follows is enough to ruin your whole trip. Long sleeves and long pants as well as a hat that covers your neck and even a scarf for your face. I know it sounds stupid in the hot tropical sun but after 6 hours with no shade the alternative is a lot worse. If you will be walking the flats take along some old running shoes otherwise your feet can get cut up pretty bad. As far as actually fishing for bones the guide will most likely give you all the information you need and after that just hold on and have fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.