BC Fishing Reports banner

Bar Fishing help

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  darcycote 
#1 ·
My son and I (26/55) just bought a bunch of bar fishing gear. Would appreciate learning the ins and outs. Anyone willing to be generous with their time and keep us in mind once the river drops? Not looking for any secret spots...just would appreciate learning and getting up to speed quickly. I know the season won't start till July.

Will be very generous with food, refreshments and fuel costs. :beerchug:

#2 ·
Its alot like steelheading hit and miss. maybe youll go weeks without a hit, and then some days youll hook into a bunch. Best bet is to start by plunking off a gradually declining gravel bar off the main channel of the fraser, the water is slower here, and the fish take advantage of this.

#3 ·
What specifics will I be lookin' for when looking to drop a rig...ie. you mentioned slower moving water with gentle gravel slope. Is there generally a guide to the depth I should be casting to and how does one read that depth if the water is mirky? Never fished a river before...have been a lake fisherman so far so moving water is new to me.

#4 ·
Taras, start by getting a new regs guide. This will help with what you can use, where and when.
.....Then pick up a map of the Fraser showing most of the popular bars to fish. Then post back with specific questions on where you intend on going. This way you will receive more helpful feedback. ;)

Simple steps for long term success.... :thumbup:

Welcome to the club. :beerchug: Marko

#5 ·
Welcome aboard to this horrible addiction we all share :happy:. Once the river does drop try posting in the buddy section =, there's a ton of people on this site that will offer you top notch advice. Try scrolling back through the topics in freshwater topics from last summer. Mike D did a great little write up on bar fishing , set ups and how to's. " have'nt figured out the whole insert here and paste thing yet ::)" I'll dust off a couple lawn chairs for you's this summer ;)
Cheers
Crazy D

#8 ·
Mike D.

I checked out your post and really appreciate the effort you put into it. Thanks for the info. I also went an bought the "Bar Fishing Guide to the Lower Fraser River" and "Fishing Fever: Fishing the Fraser River - Mission to Hope"

For anyone to comment:

It makes a lot of sense to this newbie to use roe with the spin and glows especially in silty water. Any comments?

Any advice on what roe to use...buy already cured roe or buy fresh roe and cure it with borax?

Any downside to putting the roe in a cheesecloth wrap and then putting it on the hook...?

#9 ·
Taras said:
Mike D.

I checked out your post and really appreciate the effort you put into it. Thanks for the info. I also went an bought the "Bar Fishing Guide to the Lower Fraser River" and "Fishing Fever: Fishing the Fraser River - Mission to Hope"

For anyone to comment:

It makes a lot of sense to this newbie to use roe with the spin and glows especially in silty water. Any comments?

Any advice on what roe to use...buy already cured roe or buy fresh roe and cure it with borax?

Any downside to putting the roe in a cheesecloth wrap and then putting it on the hook...?
I think that roe is more easier to use down in the slower currents of the fraser (tidal waters below mission) but in the upper I have used scents instead and just pounded the springs! a little easier to use than roe as well! Use scents like Anchovy, salmon frenzy etc. reely good and easy to use...thats all you need...I try not to make things too complicated when barfishing....basic = results!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.