BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really understand why DFO bans barbed hooks for salmon fishing but allows them for ground fish. I always use barbless hooks no matter what species I'm targeting. From my experience it's a lot easier to keep a bottom fish on a barbless hook than a salmon, and I usually end up having to release bycatch when I'm bottom fishing. While fishing for halibut I often get dogfish after dogfish and it's hard not seriously harm them with barbed hooks on. The same thing goes for undersize lings. I find another bonus of using barbless hooks while bottom fishing is that if you feel you've got a small one on "rockfish" you can sometimes shake them off just by letting the line go slack instead of bringing them up hundreds of feet to see them inevitably die.

I'm curious to see what other opinions there are on barbed vs barbless hooks. Perhaps I'm being narrow minded and missing the big picture, as I often am.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm not sure what their reasoning is (assuming they have one). My personal opinion ensures all of my hooks are barbless out of respect for the fish. If I have the upper hand (standing upright with an opposable thumb), I'd like to give the fish a fighting chance of going free, although he's eventually going to go free anyway since I C&R only.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts