BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a discussion with a friend about barbless hooks. I have always used a barbless hook for fishing EVERYWHERE in BC. I was under the impression you had to, according to regulations, let alone for ethical reasons. Anyways, he figured unless specified some lakes do not REQUIRE barbless hooks. :confused:...tried to find this out on the web, and couldn't. Is this true? Can barbed hooks be used in some lakes?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Unless the regs state otherwise, barbed hooks are permissible in lakes. Barbless hooks are required in all streams throughout the province, but no region has a blanket ban of barbed hooks in lakes. You must check the regs for the specific lake you are fishing.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
lets not say you were "wrong" persay because you can just tell him your fishing more "sportingly" than he is :thumbup: and just think when you go to a barbless lake you wont have to pinch all the flies because you will already be done ;D

I have noticed that quite a few of the barbless lakes also have smaller limit quotas. example LOGAN LAKE single barbless fish limit of 1 per day!!! there are some huge fish in there but average is around 2lbs. first time i fished it was insane smallest i hooked was around 6lbs (only one i landed) and the local next to me kept one that was around 12lbs!!! :eek: I lost so many that day just casting from shore because i had no net. well that and they broke me off alot with crappy 6lb test LOL :'(

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yes it is true. Fishing in lakes does not require barbless hooks unless specifically listed in the corresponding table. Doesn't matter to me as I always use barbless hooks - period! In fact, I always de-barb the hook before I tie the fly! IMHO - the barb does not add any real advantage as long as the hook is sharp and you keep some pressure on the fish (i.e. don't let the line go slack). Besides, barbless hooks are easier to remove which is particularly advantageous if you want to release the fish.

Should the province go barbless as a general rule? How about a bait ban on the Thompson? Fly fishing only on the Vedder/Chilliwack? 3 foot leader restriction on the Fraser? jk guys...Lol!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Flyfishin Magician said:
Should the province go barbless as a general rule? How about a bait ban on the Thompson? Fly fishing only on the Vedder/Chilliwack? 3 foot leader restriction on the Fraser? jk guys...Lol!
I'm all for those ideas FFM! Especially the fly fishing only on the Chilli! Then I might just go to that river more often LOL j/k!

I personally pinch all of my barbs regardless of the regs.

I'm also very glad that they instituted barbless hooks in the chuck when they did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
personally I won't fish with a barbed hook. conservation reasons, I don't keep alot of fish and it makes the release so much easier on the fish. Not sure about fly only on the chili/vedder but short leads rock. NO 8-12 foot leads would be awesome, no more snaggin!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ya good call Tuberdude...there definitely is another nerve dimension added to a fight using barbless hooks. It makes fishing on a fly line very interesting when a fish decides to change directions and move towards you. Then the fish jumps at the same moment! Very stressful and also very exciting at the same time. Good lord slack line!!! AAAAAAH!
:eek:

Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
124 Posts
tuberdude said:
I dont ever fish with a barbed hook. For me personally its alot less of an experience when you dont have to worry about losing the fish. With a barbed hook just hookset and drag'em in :-\. My :2cents:
Interesting comment. I partially agree. It is still easy to loose a fish with a barbed hook though when not properly played. :2cents:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.