BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Kryptonite said:
Dubz said:
I dont understand why people are not barf'in on the vedder with this.... Its dirty like the fraser so wouldn't it work just as well?
You mean like this?

Thats what im talkin about :thumbup: I do it maybe 1-2 a week on the vedder (get lazy lol) but everyone seems to give me a cocked eye when i mention it. Even at freds tackle they kinda looked at me like im crazy. So i never knew if i was just waisting my fishin time or not. Seems like it would be the same though :confused:

· Registered
707 Posts
Whats wrong with barfing the vedder?
[/quote]

the only problem with barfing any river is you need moving fish to have success. If the fish don't move, they don't swim past your stationary gear so no bites. High or colored water times are great for Barfing on any river when fish are moving.

· Registered
90 Posts
Hey guys,

just a note from another site...if you guys are concerned about the ranger slide.... check this out

"Ouch. Time to write to Mr Penner NOW, it is an election year and ask he get some of the Living Rivers to CRAC to fix this problem and ask for a reply, then post his reply here in the forum. I wonder how many of you will do so? I have and I have a reply and will try and find it when I return from PG.

E-mail Penner at [email protected], thanks to all that will take the time to do so"

I've sent my letter with my concerns.......with the huge grant from the government (living rivers trust fund) the chilliwack river action committee has not received any funding.....with that said the chilliwack river is most likely if not the most fished river in the lower mainland (besides the fraser) ;) so if you guys have the time to post on the form about the slide send the minister a short letter....anything will help

· Registered
151 Posts
Bar fishing used to be done in the canal, around the dragline run - it's not a popular (or encouraged) method as stationary fishing clashes with drift fishing.

I don't think you'd be making many friends out there by fishing this way, the river is just too busy when salmon season gets going to pull it off.

If you're off by yourself in a less popular run, not interfering with others, then I'd say go for it :)

But be prepared for an altercation if you show up at Osbourne road and plunk your bar rig into the gravy water... That would be something you'd see on Kenny vs Spenny :happy:

Just me 2 cents...
Nicole

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I have just my letter to Mr. Penner as well and I also sent a copy to the NDP environment critic as well as the critic for fisheries. Here is a copy of my letter.

Dear Mr . Penner

I am writing to you today as I am very concerned about the condition of the Vedder/Chilliwack river after a massive clay slide happened on the upper portions of the river. The clay slide has happened in an area known as "the ranger run" and it has caused the water to turn to a milky grey color. This sediment will continue to come down river and settle as a sludge on the gravel beads that our precious salmon stocks use as their spawning grounds. This sludge if allowed to continue will eventually destroy these spawning grounds by suffocating the eggs and destroy future runs of these wild salmon. Action needs to be taken now by this government before it is too late. I understand that there is money available through the Living Rivers Trust Fund. I also understand that the Chilliwack River Action Committee had applied for funds but was refused. I believe this is the perfect opportunity to change that decision and provide them the funds so that work can begin to divert the river away from this bank. The river as it runs right now is 25% on the side where the slide occurred and 75% on the opposite bank so fixing this would not take much if done right away. I hope you take the time out of your busy schedule and pay this area a visit so that you can see first hand how devastating this is going to be to the river and all that it provides to the community of Chilliwack. Thank you for your time and I hope to here a positive response from you.

· Registered
98 Posts
Kryptonite said:
I dont want to give the impression that I do this all the time, because I dont. But at the same time, it works and like with any other kind of fishing you need to know what to set up when and where to maximize your chances at success.

Dubz, you mentioned that you were using the larger sized glows and I too would not hesitate to use them if the conditions would warrant it but when I was out the other day there was about 2.5' of vis in blasting sun. The fish were holding in about 5' of slow moving water. A huge glo with a huge hook on mega line would probably have just scared the crap out of the holding fish. I positioned my gear at the top end of the holding water by casting above and walking my rig into the desired spot. With the set up where it was. I was using the allure of a spinning lure with the added attraction of bait to bring the fish from lower down to my set up.

The hardest part was detecting the bite. No big hammer downs like you get on the Fraser fishing unscented glos, the rod would just slowly load up like a small branch was catching the line.
Cool, thanks for the tip bud. Think i might try again tomorrow but for sure on monday. Is time of the day an issue with barfin?

· Banned
2,854 Posts
I hear you on the soft takes Krypto. I only had one fish hit hard yesterday, we were all drifting roe and the takes were extremely soft most of the time only shaking the float a bit :wallbash: made for lots of missed strikes :wallbash:

· Registered
876 Posts
HOOK said:
I hear you on the soft takes Krypto. I only had one fish hit hard yesterday, we were all drifting roe and the takes were extremely soft most of the time only shaking the float a bit :wallbash: made for lots of missed strikes :wallbash:
Me too... missed a lot of hits today. But then again I had quite a few hammer it too :peace:

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Nicole said:
Bar fishing used to be done in the canal, around the dragline run
Actually Nicole it was done mostly down by KWB when it was a 1 lane bridge by the old fella in the yellowish colored mazda that lived on 3 Road in Yarrow. He caught a ton of steelhead down there. I heard there was a plaque of some sort in that area recognizing him?? I'm sure the veterns like George Dyck, Peter Vandermullun(sp), or the son of Mike(Mikes Reel Repairs) could attest to that. In the past couple years guys like Werner and Jim J. have bar fished in the area where the dragline used to be, but not as effective as the old guy...

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Kryptonite said:
I remember bar fishing in the canal below the highway bridge and around the corner with my dad when I was a kid. There were usually a few guys down there if I remember correctly. I cant say that I actually remember catching any fish though...
Remember the days when guys used to bar fish between the 2 hwy bridges on the Sumas all the way down to Marshall Cr. in the fall for coho? Getting old sucks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.