BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wind and 7-8ft seas were the operative words for this year's June Barkley Trip report.

We ran out 22-25miles from Bamfield each day but fishing was tough as 6-8ft swells at 7-8secs and 2-3ft wind waves made it hard to dail in troll speeds and presentation at the honey holes. We scatched out some nice Columbia bound chinook and coho each day but the ride out a slow slog.

Highlight of the trip was trolling for chicken hali's in 190-200ft of water on the outer La Perouse Bank. Cop-car or Green 11in Hotspot flashers and Army-truck coyote spoons, army-truck candle fish hoochies or North Pacific hoochie #C28CR on 48in leaders trolled at 1.8-2.8mph, 15-20ft above the bottom was the set up. Solid hookups and sporting fight on salmon rods made this fishery an absolute blast. We also pick up 2-3 lings and one or two chinook on same troll tracks each day. Talk about your multi-tasking! Halibut ran 30-37in and lings around 8-9lbs. Chinook ran 18-26lbs and coho were a healthy 7-10lbs.

Idea rod stacking was 20ft from bottom for halibuts and lings and secon and third rods at 85-110ft deep.

We also were able to scratch out resident chinook inside Barkley Sound at Swale Rock, Kirby Point, Whitlesome point, The Wall, and Cape Beal trolling above mentioned army truck spoons or hoochies at 80-120ft down in 200-300ft water. Cape Beal was fished at just off the bottom in 120-150ft of water. Other producers were Ry Davis anchovy specials at same depths behind red, green, cop-car and purple haze flasher. Forget about bait outside the sound - dogfish were way too think to let the salmon even get a sniff.

Cop-Car Hotspot w/ Amry Truck Coyote spoon was the 2-1 favorite for samon inside and outside. Looks like ocean is to lay down this coming week for those headed up.

Plan on 5-8ft swells if the wind is blowing more than 10mph. Worst seas of the trip we 8-9ft sea at 10seconds mixed with 3-4ft wind wave when wind kicked up in the afternoon one afternoon. We had only one wave break on the motor bracket which, was a non-event but for a healthy dose of spray for the skipper while reaching down to fire up the kicker. Most troll tracks speed controlled by backing into the swell to slow down wind drift. The upwind trolls were 15deg off the wind to either port/starboard tack. Trolling straight up wind was pure mental gymnastics and beam trolls put the downwind riggers and rods way under the boat and into the prop.

Sockeye are still not schooling in the ususal areas. Plenty of boats working it but very few nets flying just yet.

Great trip but can't wait for August Trip and the promiss of Robertson Creek springs, fishing inside and calmer weather.

Special Thanks to Iron Noggin for his insite and wisdom. Regrettably we had no cell service to inform of our delay arrival and we were unable to connect Saturday.

·
Registered
172 Posts
BEauty! We are heading to Pachina in a couple hours and hope to run into IronNoggin as well. His knowledge seems to be worth it's weight in gold already. Glad you had a great trip and I hope to report back with a story or two of my own!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Great report Salt! I'll be heading to Ucluelet July 18th - 21st. We've booked 2 afternoons (8 hours each day) with Todd Jenning's Highroller Fishing Charters! I'm super stoked about this trip because I haven't fought a chinook since I was a teenager...I'm hoping that we'll be able to tie into some big ones! The only thing I am worried about is if the "bite" will be good during the afternoons.

Salt: Did you get many fish (Chinook and Coho) in the afternoon?

Thanks again to all the BCFR members who gave me advice on what to look for in a guide. WERD UP!

Fitter71 said: todd jennings slays the fish,and is a good guide..... greg said: Todd Jennings is a great guide.....

I'm hoping we slay some Kings! Cheers all! -Nathan in NW :D

ps. I plan on documenting this trip with a journal and some pics. There will be a detailed report upon my return!

·
Registered
143 Posts
5 Salt....
that is a well done report !! Have not seen anything quite like it here before. Good on you and thanks for the info....I just wish I were heading there.
H/T

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fished Bamfield for three days last week. The three of us kept a limit of springs from 10 to 24 lbs, and released some smaller ones. 100 feet down with a green/white coyote or hoochie was the ticket off Edward King Island. We also caught two halibut while trolling, 30 and 42 lbs. We would have liked to have gone offshore, but it was quite rough water so we didn't bother.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice_One said:
Great report Salt! I'll be heading to Ucluelet July 18th - 21st. We've booked 2 afternoons (8 hours each day) with Todd Jenning's Highroller Fishing Charters! I'm super stoked about this trip because I haven't fought a chinook since I was a teenager...I'm hoping that we'll be able to tie into some big ones! The only thing I am worried about is if the "bite" will be good during the afternoons.

Salt: Did you get many fish (Chinook and Coho) in the afternoon?

Thanks again to all the BCFR members who gave me advice on what to look for in a guide. WERD UP!

Fitter71 said: todd jennings slays the fish,and is a good guide..... greg said: Todd Jennings is a great guide.....

I'm hoping we slay some Kings! Cheers all! -Nathan in NW :D

ps. I plan on documenting this trip with a journal and some pics. There will be a detailed report upon my return!

We were able to pick up coho and springs pretty much anytime of the day.

Edward Island tip is a good one and we chat with several other who had good luck around the island.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing I did not add was that we had good succes with Baitrix Soft-Plastic Chovy and Herring lures running them in Ry Davis anchoy and herring specials.

Learned about them from Iron Noggin. I will post pics of them in a couple of days.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey 'Salt.............Thanks for the great report!. I have one question for you, What do you take when you are out in such marginal conditions to keep you from feeding the fish? On a couple of trips to the Charlottes & Pt. Hardy area I have spent some time in rough weather and even with gravol I only lasted a few hours before the shine on the trip started to wear off!.....just curious.........Thanks,.Ortho 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fishortho said:
Hey 'Salt.............Thanks for the great report!. I have one question for you, What do you take when you are out in such marginal conditions to keep you from feeding the fish? On a couple of trips to the Charlottes & Pt. Hardy area I have spent some time in rough weather and even with gravol I only lasted a few hours before the shine on the trip started to wear off!.....just curious.........Thanks,.Ortho 8)
Ortho,

Regrettably, I have never been sea-sick to the point of puking. I have however, had to fight it off 3-4 times in the past twenty years.

One of those times was the first day outside on our recent Bamfield trip. Way low on sleep, I had been tying leaders with my head down for about 45mins. Not really paying attention to wave/swell action, I swung my head up at a funny angle while reaching back/down for a pair of rigging pliars and I got really dizzy. I mean really dizzy. After about 5mins of my head spinning I could sense my stomach starting to roll-over on me. It then became a battle of mind over matter while I tried to get my inner ear back on plane again.

I knew if I were to fixate on my nausea I would chuming for certain. So I find somthing to do - a task to keep my mind occupied - drive the trolling motor, drink some gingerale and munch on some dry salty crackers, anything to keep the mind off my stomach. No longer nauseated but still pretty dizzy I began to meditate on something to my wits back.

To meditate I will focus/stare on something close to me like the end of a rod or the edge of the gunnel thus, closing out all movement around me. After 15mins or so my head stops spinning and I had a little light lunch to give the digestive musles something to get there natural rythm back on track. Nausea is the feeling you get when your degistive muscle get out of their natural rythms.

Stomach stablizers like saltines, dry salty snacks (not greasy), or ginger snaps are the ticket. It is reported that ginger is the one of the best preventatives and recovery products of all the sickness aids. Ginger Snaps, Gingerale, Ginger Beer (rootbeer derivative), or Angostura Bitters added to soda water are all good items to keep stocked on the boat. You can find Angostura Bitters in any Liquor Store - add a little to a can of Gingerale and drink it on your way out of the marina - good stuff.

Another option is the "Explorer Relief Band or Watch". The Explorer was developed for Emergency Room and Surgery Personel. It seems to work pretty well for my 7-year old when she is feeling poorly. As well, it has kept a couple of her friends from puking from car sickness. The Explorer sends a very mild electronic signal down your wrist nerves that serves to restore the natual rythms of your digestive musles.

Google "Explorer Releif Band" for more info. They run about USD 99.00.

I would start with the low-tech Gingerale/Bitters, bring a box of Ginger Snaps and a box of Saltines. Much those in place of breakfast and drink your ginger ale and you should be good to go. Munch and drink every couple hours or as needed. Get plenty of sleep so your mind and body have their full resources for the battle - this is important. Lack of sleep has been the cause of all of my sickness fights.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good advice S-5-F,

When I was younger, I never got sea sick. Now it is terrible. Last year at Eucluelet I was starting to feel a bit off and tried the 12 hour gravol to no effect. (Lack of sleep didn't help). The next day I took 2 regular gravols an hour BEFORE we went out and then 2 more every 3-4 hours all day long. It worked well for me. I guess the point is, motion sickness is easier to deal with BEFORE you get sick.

Dinsdale.

B

·
0 Posts
got new report I was fishing around the outside of the broken group. jigging for cod with a 6 oz. dart jig. checking the sharpness of the hook around 10 ft. to the surface BANG fish on took 15 to reel a nice 23lbs. spring in. also some hali in barkley sound. I am surprised that they are in that close.

tight lines,
Brendan :)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Thanks for the info,'Salt'...I have taken a med called Bonine in ther past but you have to take it the day before you hit the water, and last time it didn't seem to work so well....I do know that once I start to feel dizzy or a bit nauseous, I'm a done deal for the day!
Good info..thanks for sharing......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fishortho said:
Thanks for the info,'Salt'...I have taken a med called Bonine in ther past but you have to take it the day before you hit the water, and last time it didn't seem to work so well....I do know that once I start to feel dizzy or a bit nauseous, I'm a done deal for the day!
Good info..thanks for sharing......Ortho 8)
I do not care for medicine cures as they usaully leave me feeling out of sorts - neither sick, nor well, and dry mouth something terrible. Gingerale w/bitters, lite breakfast and gingersnaps munched regularly during the day will keep you upright.

Give the more natural approach a try - you may just find it works for you.

One other item to note- keep your waist and up on level plane throught out the day. Your legs should be moving constantly with your hips acting as a swivle to keep you stomach and mellon level and relatively free of side-to-side and forward/aft motion. Keeps the inner ear in-check and happy. More Sleep will give you the mental physical energy to keep up the swivle action. Can't tell you how many times I have seen guys who let their flop around after a couple of hours on the salt, turn green in short order.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts