BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did some searching of the forums here and didn't find anything specific, so here goes:

Took some out of town family members to the Barnett Marine Park on the weekend for a lil picnic, and I was surprised to see guys chucking little crab traps from the shore. Ok, "surprised" and maybe just a little bit trepidatiously excited.

Question that first popped into my mind, was what about the 100+ years of industrial usage of that water? Any of you old timers know if the dungeoness crab in there are any good? I am kind of 1/2 on the side of "that'd be kinda fun and a quick and easy way to source my own crab (being boatless)... and 1/2 on the side of "holy crap, those crabs are probably one step short of a total toxic avenger movie."

any experience with this "fishery"?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

The way crabs feed the toxins are kept in the Pancreas (orange guck under the shell) So I don't believe its an issue unless you eat that part of the crab.
I would be VERY surprised if you were ever able to pull out an actual legal size crab from there. The only "crab fishermen" I have encountered there are harvesting illegal crab, all undersized and usually female. I always ask them if they have a license and usually say "sorry no english" I have called DFO many times and they never show up (PATHETIC)
I like going down there in the evening after dark with my really bright headlamp and watch the guys (and girls) scatter in the bushes and hide with their buckets and traps. Theres no wonder that the Vancouver area is so depleted of crab and ground fish due to the illegal harvesting and the lack of policing the areas by the DFO

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously?
Oh that's awesome. Add that to my general love of the crowds around the Vedder during the Pink seasons.

Well, I recently moved into the general neighborhood of the aforementioned park, and I WOULD like to actually spend some time down there, but your report there kind of freaks me out a little. Perhaps my presence down there will be more effective with a video camera, than a crab trap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know... it sucks. I went out fishing for Pinks in Richmond on the weekend at a spot that is usually quiet and it was a GONG show. I bet not one person on the beach had a license. After one jerk walked over and stood directly in front of my GF and almost caught her in the face with his 3 prong hook!!! I had to go over and have a little "chat" with the guy.
A few years ago a bunch of us got together and went to Barnet with our headlamps, after watching all the "fishermen" disperse into the woods we cut all the lines to the crab traps. We did this every night for about 2 weeks and every night they would be out there. I was actually told the other night by a chinese friend of mine that its now a cool thing for the young crowd (not teenagers but people in their 20's) to go down there and "crab fish" I asked her how many she got and she said at least 50 of them. When I asked her how big she said the biggest ones were about 2 inches. I then asked her males or females and she asked how to tell the difference) I told her if she went again to tell me (she thinks I want to come with.. I'll actually drag the DFO down there myself if I have too;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just confirming I am reading this right...

You went at night and cut peoples lines to their traps leaving the traps in the water for the crabs to die?

So now there are random crab traps in the water with line hanging off them full of dead crabs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did some searching of the forums here and didn't find anything specific, so here goes:

Took some out of town family members to the Barnett Marine Park on the weekend for a lil picnic, and I was surprised to see guys chucking little crab traps from the shore. Ok, "surprised" and maybe just a little bit trepidatiously excited.

Question that first popped into my mind, was what about the 100+ years of industrial usage of that water? Any of you old timers know if the dungeoness crab in there are any good? I am kind of 1/2 on the side of "that'd be kinda fun and a quick and easy way to source my own crab (being boatless)... and 1/2 on the side of "holy crap, those crabs are probably one step short of a total toxic avenger movie."

any experience with this "fishery"?
Terrible location for crabs. The water is too shallow especially at low tide. I have thrown traps from the "pier" (lol) and the rocks further down the beach. Unless you have a boat and can get out to deeper water, don't bother.

I brought a little telescopic rod with me and fished there too. Tiny flounders and bullheads. I caught a four inch bullhead and a guy was SHOCKED when I took it off the hook and put it back in the water.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just confirming I am reading this right...

You went at night and cut peoples lines to their traps leaving the traps in the water for the crabs to die?

So now there are random crab traps in the water with line hanging off them full of dead crabs?
Yeah, from what I can see of the types of traps they're throwing from the shore, the lay flat and open on the bottom, and when you go to pull in your rope it closes like a clamshell, hopefully trapping the crab in it for the haul to the shore.
If the lines are cut, then that crab trap will just lay there, the crabs will eat the bait and move on their merry little crabby way.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I used to dive at Texaco Wharf for crabs years ago. It used to be good in amongst the pilings but started to deteriorate 10 years ago or so. Everything got smaller and smaller and the crowds got bigger and bigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just started crabbing last year since i love floating around in my inflatable boat. then i picked up crabbing after seeing many people doing it. dun like eating dungeness crabs taht much anymore but its always fun to catch them and watch them scurrying about in the cage.

what i have noticed is that there are barely any females in the cage. i generally go during the morning so i dunno how bad the poaching is during the evening

Signature: http://mrdungenesscrabber.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts