BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bass fishing; what, where, when and how? My knowledge of bass fishing is limited to one trip to Phazon lake in WA, with Darryl from Reaction years ago! I caught one bucket mouth about 6 inches long casting to the shore line with a black woolly bugger! :) I know there are many techniques to catch these buggers, lure or fly, myself and I'm sure others on this site have no idea and would love to here some of the what, where, when and how? Any bass pro`s out there willing to share some of your techniques to catch these large mouth bass here in British Columbia? :)

:cheers: Rick

· Registered
2,676 Posts
Well I'm no pro when it comes to Bass. But I have had some fun trips fishing for them on the Island while visiting family. From this fly chuckers personal experiences, I found it to be all about Wooley Buggers, Big Dragons, and Epoxy Minnows (the bigger food items) fished in amongst lots of cover and obstructions. Retreived on a type 3 sink tip, or a dry line under Lilly Pads, weed beds, dead heads ect. I also found the Smallies to be much better fighters than Large Mouth Bass. The summer time months seemed to fish better than in spring.

Anyone else?

Finder ;)

· Registered
1,702 Posts
FishTrap Creek, Silvermere Lake, Mill lake. I love topwater and swimbaits. The last 2 weeks they have started to get active and with warm weather this weekend they should come up shallow.

Early season tips-

right now topwater wouldn't do you anygood, water is to cold, and the fish are lethargic. On the other hand if you fished a swim bait SLOW, or twiched it and got it to do a couple motions and then a long pause you could get it done. If you just wanted to catch fish right now then a worm or a jig is your best bet. Fish them slow in the timber and pockets, off ledges and drop offs right now would be perfect, on the drop off fish the shallow side the bass will be parallel to it cruising for food. Once they move onto their beds anything could work but only a select few baits usually do. 2 baits i like for bed fish are lizards and swimbaits. you could use a worm or crank but because u need to fish them fast, when i say fast i dont mean burning them in but with crankbaits u need to continually reel to add motion where as with a swimbait u can twitch/reel then pause and it will slowly sink, one method is slowly swimming it towards the nest and then just letting it kinda die for a seck allowing it to drop down as if going to pick out eggs and then it will either get smashed on the drop or the first 2 or 3 cranks as u start it up again.(you can sight fish bedded bass) With lizards they are a bass' enemy, in theory. Bass hate them and clober them, i crawl them up into the nest and they get picked up hard.

Gear-
Swim baits- A stiff rod in the 7-8ft length, rated for 10-30lb and can cast 1-6oz of weight, u need to buy a swimbait rod to fish swimbaits, unless you make your own and they are floaters that weight around 2oz u'll snap anyother rod. I used between 20-25lb mono or 50-65lb braid. I like the round reels for swimbaits (Abu C3's and C4's, and Calcutta's are most popular) as casting and throwing such a big bait on a lowpro with tear up the gears FAST. When casting swimbaits your lobbing them, not snapping, unless u wanna break ur rod tip off.

Rubbers and jigs- A medium action 6-7ft rod rated for 10-20 with do you well, the lighter rod has a softer tip for those light bites and light baits. Mainline i like 10 or 12 mono, sensitive and has some stretch which when setting the hook on a lighter rod wont break the rod or tear the hook out. I like low pro's for rubbers Abu Revo and Max series reels are great as are the Shimano's. you can fish worms alot of different ways, you can drag them, twitch them, wacky rig them, shaky head rig them, burn them, crawl them, jump them. Tip: Adding trailers to jigs is a GREAT idea.

· Registered
45 Posts
When the season opens here in the summer basically the way I like to fish for mr. Largemouth is the first 2 hours of daylight loud topwater stuff... then as the day progresses I use Tubes, and jerk shad type plastics, and toss the odd scum frog on the thick slop. I am not a huge crank bait guy so you'll need to get that from somewhere else, the odd rattletrap makes it out but not too much past that. Tubes and Senko type worms rigged literally anyway and fished anyway from topwater to bottom dragging has worked for me. Good luck to you!

· Registered
347 Posts
Comments from the South. Throw top water , buzz baits, early and late when the water is warm, on a cloudy day you can fish them all day. Favorite color is white. My son caught a 5# bass last week and lost another with a break off of line. (ultra light, 4# test).

· Registered
45 Posts
Crankbait= a body bait (generally) that one reels in whereas a flipping lure is something like a jig/jig&pig and the like that you toss out and twitch back, usually into heavy cover hence the hugebass rods and 50lb braid!

· Registered
72 Posts
I personally prefer to fly fish for the smallmouth through the summer on te island lakes.I find this outperforms throwing lures and is alot of fun.I use a 5 or6wt rod,clear sink for lillypad and shallow shore structure such as boulders and overhanging trees and a type 4 sink for dragging bottom near deaper weeds and boulder dropoffs.Large dragon nymphs,leeches,woolybuggers and stickleback patterns.In st.Mary lake on saltspring,a large green spratley works wonders as this looks like the stickleback.Lately I have been getting a fish every 5 casts on average.Use 6 or 8pound leaders about 8or9ft in length.Every few fish,retie your fly due to fish teeth weakening your leader.

· Registered
45 Posts
When I am stripping streamers or swimming minnow patterns Generally I go right above any weed growth before it surfaces and then target weed edges and pockets in weeds. Remember you don't need much action or swimming in a fly to entice a bass. In my opinion fishing the heavy slop should be left for flippin sticks, bass jigs, and 50lb braid

· Registered
298 Posts
yamadirt426, are you fishing from shore at albert dyck? I tried there once with my fly rod off the dock but no luck. It was back in april though so maybe it was too early in the year :confused: I would like to try it again for sure, I've never caught a bass before so I definitely want to see what it's like :thumbup: not opposed to bringin my spinnin rod either if thats what it takes to get em. any help would be great :cheers:

· Registered
188 Posts
salmon slayer said:
yamadirt426, are you fishing from shore at albert dyck? I tried there once with my fly rod off the dock but no luck. It was back in april though so maybe it was too early in the year :confused: I would like to try it again for sure, I've never caught a bass before so I definitely want to see what it's like :thumbup: not opposed to bringin my spinnin rod either if thats what it takes to get em. any help would be great :cheers:
go to the north/east end. the dock is on the south/west side so complete opposite. bring the waders or just wear shorts but its kinda muddy on that side. throw out some beadhead leeches and you can't miss them. in that corner there is a little bush growing in the lake and you can walk out a bit. also just walk the shore line to the south east side casting around as you go. you'll have to do a flip cast in some sections as the trees are behind you and it drops of fairly quick. Its easier to fish where there is gaps in the tree line. Throw some other flys too!! you can't miss them. If you have some trouble I'll join ya. For spinning use any plastics. I have had most luck on red sparkly worm. good luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.