BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently left Beautiful BC and really miss the great river fishing for salmon, trout and steelhead that our rivers have to offer. Although my 'post count' doesn't show it, I've been a regular visitor to this website for years (as ribwart will attest to) as well.

Anyhow, my question to all: I've moved to Kentucky and although there's no salmon fishing :'(, there is a lot of bass fishing. I've never been, but hope to have some opportunities to go bass fishing this summer. Are there any guys out there willing to pass on any advice on techniques, equipment knowledge or websites I could visit to find out more abot this sport?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fish a fair amount of bass in the Kooteanays and Okanagan.

Mostly, I'm doing it on a fly rod using big grasshoppers, poppers or flashy minnows. Depends on the water.

If I use spinning gear (now and again when my arm gets tired of casting) I uses spinner baits (have many colors for different waters and light conditions).

Towards the end of the day I like to suface fish over a weed bed with poppers or 'water walkers'. Its amazing how shallow the water can be and still hold 13" bass.

Basically same rules apply - look for structure, overhangs and weed beds. I also find that bass are agressive and will more likely hit a fast retrieve than a slow one.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Nick

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey there Sweetbubbalove

i think a good person for you to ask would be a member here that goes by the name of

South Texas Salt

as he lives in the states and fishes alot of bass living down there he is a great member here and gives help where he can umm you will have to look him up and PM him im pretty sure he would help you out

tight lines

HOOK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bassmasters.com has extensive links, and more advice than you can shake an UglyStick at. . . Good luck on making the transition to chasing bucket mouths, jest don't tell anyone how long your rod is or you're be labelled one of them "sissy boys" what don't don't have no barbs.

Bob

·
Registered
306 Posts
I 've had alot of luck in southern ontario fishing for largemouth bass. My favorite technique is using a floating rapala minnow, i toss it out near a weed bed edge and give it a couple little pops before slowly retrieving. it usually motivates a strike within a couple of seconds from hitting the water! years back i nailed a 6lb smallmouth in a northern lake with that same technique!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your fishing smallmouth,try fishing once it gets dark as they feed like crazy at night.Look for structure,cover eg;logs,rocks etc and cast a (jitterbug) with very sharp treble hooks with 6 or 8 pound test and retrieve listening for a huge smashing sound meaning the fish took your lure.It works best on long hot days and usually you should fish later when it starts cooling off.This technique works amazing in southern Ontario!Hang on if you hook a monster,we have caught many in the 6 to 8.5 pound range this way,not bad with the world record around 11.5 pounds I think! Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info, guys. It's a big help. I'll let you know how the fishing goes down in the land of catfish and bucketmouths.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts