BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article seems even Fisheries believes bass have been in the Fraser system for a very long time.

http://www.gvrd.bc.ca/sewerage/pdf/WaterWaysSpring05.pdf

If they were introduced that long ago that would explain why they are in tributaries from the Brunette River to Hope slough in Chilliwack. How were they right under Fisheries noses all this time without them knowing it. Or did they? :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stocking where? Where would you find records of that? All this time we thought it was local bass fisherman but when you take a look at how spread out the fishery is and how extensive the population is it simply couldn't be a bunch of guys with buckets. That would be a lot of buckets of bass to create that! I think Fisheries wants us to believe it's the bucket brigade. :naughty:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
newsman said:
They have known all along, in fact they did some of the stocking themselves.
When? Do you have any records of that. I know the stocking of bass on the Island was sanctioned in the '30s but I have never heard that they stocked the Fraser!

·
Registered
587 Posts
There are bass in the hope slough!? ??? :eek: I knew they were in the stave and lower pit but I didn't think they have made it this far!.....a little birdy was telling me that they couldn't reproduce this far up because of the water temp. one degree is all it takes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if there are any numbers of bass in the Hope slough I just heard that a bass was brought to Chilliwack Dart and Tackle and the guy caught it in the Hope slough. Who knows might be a hoax.

Newsman if you made the request to Fisheries they can say no but go through the Privacy Commission and you'll get it. How did you manage to see the document then may I ask?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I remember as a kid and fishing the brunette river with a fly rod we would catch pumpkin seed fish all day below the dam didn't matter what fly we used we always cought them! but never in my days of fishing this system did i ever catch a large mouth bass! Now bull heads are a non native species in the lowermainland? Man those suckers are everywhere doesn't matter where you fish we always cought them too! Back then when i was very young 10 years old at best we would catch bullheads and throw them in the bushes after catching them because we thought they ate up all the trout in the river! Lots of ditch eels in there too or lamprey whatever there called!

CK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.