BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Lower mainland bass fishing basically stinks, but if you want a shot at a decent bass try Silvermere but it's tough to get onto and it is easiest to fish it from shore along the lougheed highway.  For real action head to the interior or Vancouver Island.  It's more than likely that the next Canadian record for smallmouth will be caught either in Shawnigan Lake or Osoyoos or Skaha and for largemouth in Vaseaux or Osoyoos (a 7lb smallie was caught 2 weeks ago on Shawnigan).  The current BC record for largemouth was caught last summer by a Vaseaux lake resident and weighed 9 lbs 9oz.  This is a great time of the year to hit them up too.  Good luck!  

· Registered
17 Posts
Hello,
I live in Penticton so those lakes are right in my back yard :happy:
Any suggestions on what gear/setup/to use as I would like to get
my 13yr old boy interested in Bass fishing. Is it best to fish from shore
or in a boat?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
327 Posts
A few years back I took my family to Christina lake for a week or so. I used my snorkling gear and went along the drop off at the Provincial Park.
I found 2 or 3 Bass nests, circular indents in the sand about 3 feet in diameter, and Bass sitting above them.
Later during the evening I took my boys to the beach in from where I saw the nests and had them cast out and over them.
Sure enough one got a strike then the other. Each one hauled in a Bass at 3 LBs and 2 LBs. Great trip and experience for my 2 boys.
The camp host was jealous of both of them.

· Registered
59 Posts
Great Bass fishing on Christina Lake and at Cascade Falls......I stock all kinds of Bass gear and flies at the store......the Christina Lake bass are marvelous to eat....fillet them and deep fry in a beer batter.......best darned fish I have ate in a long time... the lake hosts both large and small mouth.....plus Dollies, Rainbow and Kokanee......a great resource that is not over fished and is accessible to all.......I will not mention the really good lakes here tho'....I'd get smacked by the long time locals.

KF

· Registered
413 Posts
When I used to flyfish I would go fish Mill Lake in Abbotsford while the wife and kids played in the park. Anyway Used to catch them with big and colorful leech patterns on a fast sink tip and strip fairly fast. I would cast just into the lilly pads let it sink to the bottom and off you go. Caught a 1lb 13oz crappie in there, fought like a bat out of hell.Couldn't believe it. :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Never gone bassing in the lower mainland, but St. Mary's on Saltspring and many of the lakes on the southeast end of Vancouver Island hold smallmouths.
Good fun on a fly rod. Try wooly buggers and streamers, they work good. I hear poppers work good though I've never tried it. Tube jigs work well too.
Don't be affraid to keep a couple (check the regs for the legal limit) to eat.

They really are fun to catch, but it is too bad that some people took it upon themselves to transplant them all over the place.

T.

· Registered
223 Posts
I fish bass on thew Fly!

I have found a private 1/2 acre lake loaded this crappies, small & Big mouth bass. They where transplanted in the 50's. I fish there once a week off the shore. I have tied a foam winged fly with rubber band legs i tied up. I can't keep the fish off of it. I also made balsa wood poppers that are great on the slow days. The biggest fish yet for me was a 16" big mouth. I have hooked 4 crappy that when I was reeling them in splashing away they where consumed by a LUNKER and folded my rod over. This is amazing that a 6" crappy was swallowed howl. GULP :eek: then i pulled it out of it's belly trying to land this dinosaur.The scary thing is that these fish are so aggressive and eat fish a third there size. I mean stupid aggressive. I Cringe at the thought of a bass or crappy being released :naughty: into the Fraser Valley river system! Trout would be doomed they would have no chance! Bass sure are fun to fly fish for. :thumbup: Bass on fly is a must!

Good luck and keep the lines wet boys! and gals too!

· Registered
223 Posts
I live in the Wack! Thats Chilliwack. I was up there last week and the owner told me he found 3 otter in the lake this last winter. He came up on them chewing on about 15" bass. :wallbash: I hope they didn't get all the trophy's! All i got was a muskrat on that fishing trip. I'll try and get up to the lake this may long weekend, with the hot weather the bite will be on at dusk :thumbup: I'll let you know if it is worth the trip. Where are you from?

Later

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Fish trap creek in abbotsford has lots of bass if thats what your after, as do the 3-4 lakes around abbotsfors as well 3 i think! Do a search of the lakes around abbotsford on the south side of the #1 highway and the are killer i've been told!

C.K.

24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stormin...burnaby. Coho...I was at fish trap fri night before I went up to jones and as much as it looks like a bass pond, it's at the deepest about 4 feet and all a saw was a chair and a floating cooler. Are you saying that there's bass in there because you've caught them or did you read it like I did in the canada outdoors mag? I'm being matter of fact not rude just so you don't misunderstand where I'm coming from. I hope your right, what were you using and where were you fishing from? I walked around the whole pond and didn't really know where to start. There is a dock but it leaves you about 20' above what ends up being about 3' of water. Could one put a canoe in there? What happens in late august if the water level is at 3' now? Hope to hear back from you :thumbup:

· Registered
413 Posts
Talk to darrel at reaction fly and tackle he's fished it lots. Apparently it's full of bass. I've tried but I got the same reaction the only thing I didn't try was spinnerbaits :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.