BC Fishing Reports banner

Battery life on an electric motor??

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  spring king 
#1 ·
Im going to buy a 9ft pontoon for drifting the squamish system and for use in the interior stillwater fishery and was wondering what kind of life you guys get in general out of a fully charged battery for your electric motors? I dont mind spending some extra cash on a good battery/better motor etc. What are the better brand of battery to buy?

thanks you for any responses :beerchug:

tight loops
derek

#3 ·
I have a Minn Kota Edura 30 lb thrust EMO that is a couple of years old, and on top of the motor, it will give you the approximate running time depending on the different speeds assuming that you start out with a fully charged battery in good condition.

I mainly use my EMO to reposition my 12' aluminum so as not to spook fish, or to move short distances around a structure in a lake, and on most occassions, I have fished for several days without my battery dying. This is also considering that I had a Humminbird fish finder that was powered on the same battery. The battery that I use is the Group 27 (I think) deep cycle battery from Costco...excellent buys IMO.

One important thing I learned though is to regularly charge up my battery every few weeks or at the very least every month even when it's not in use to prevent sulphating.

#6 ·
Hey darcycote

Do yourself a very big favor and buy one of the Minkota Maximizer electric motors. All the guys that I lake fish with have electrics and two have the old Minkota's and on average I get about double to triple the amount of battery life that they do.

As far as batteries go I used to spend the big dollars but I have found that they don,t seem to last nearly as long as you would think they should. My parents and all their friends are big into the RV's and almost all of them have switched their batteries to the Costco brand Kingsland I believe. I switched my boat and extra battery to the Costco ones and have been extremely happy since doing so.

Centerpin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.