BC Fishing Reports banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE SEE RECENT UPDATE AND VOTE ON PAGE 5

During the past few years we have had several "river" fishouts. ;D ;D why don't we plan a weekend of camping,trailer,tenting,fishing at a low level interior lake in May or June? I am willing to get the ball rolling, if anyone is interested. I would first like to have a few suggestions as to the preferred month/place, preferrably close enough to make it feasible for a larger group to get together. (Meritt/Kamloops) A place that can accom. campers,trailers and tenters, boat launch etc., and a place where some fish can be had......I think we have a lot of talent on this board and this could be used to stimulate some discussion from our experts to show how stillwater fishing is done,both with the flyrod and the gear.
If we plan it now, it will happen.......Get out your 2008 calendars.........Any interest??.....Ortho 8)

*****see update at page 5******<')))))><

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Re: BCFR stillwater camping/fishing weekend

Absolutely! People need to know however that there is no lake that will match everybody's criteria. I agree that the Merritt/Kamploops area is the way to go. The lakes in this area have a rich nutrient base and for the most part good to excellent visibility. The only area that compares is the Central Caribou area but that is a bit far from most of the members on this site. The ice should be off of most higher elevation lakes mid May so if they have good access let's not rule them out as some of them, particularly off the connector can produce upwards of 75, 12-16 inch fish per day. If it's trophies we're after then there's lots to choose from as well. They fish much slower and are almost always fly only so that eliminates some of the members who will only fish gear. To name a few, Lundbom, Marquart, Kidd, Courtney, Kane, Kentucky Alleyene, Buck, Pennask, Hatheume, Roche, Peterhope, Heffley, Sawmill, the list is endless.....

· Banned
2,854 Posts

I'm in Ortho!!!!

i will keep my eye open for the thread to "actually" start for names and locations and when and what not ;D

this is a great idea.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts

I'm in...! :thumbup: I think anywhere in the interior would work out great...! Big fish and good times are a priority, but I am sure we could choose a base camp from which several different waters could be accessed...great idea ortho...

· Premium Member
3,684 Posts

Great idea Ortho...!! So many places to fish and so little time . ;D

I've got the tarps and a few prises to give out that I have collected along the way.

:beerchug: Marko

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yer givin' away my tarps??? LOL ;D............I think we could have a great weekend. We just need to decide where we want a basecamp/lake so we can reconvene at the end of the day....We need to come to an agreement about a location and the reservations for campsites/trailer sites can be made.....I don't think it needs to be a derby thing at all...It needs to be a "meet the members" gathering.
A lot of crap has rang thru the halls of BCFR this fall and I am sure more is to come in the future....It is just so much easier, to solve problems when you know who the person is on the other end of the 'puter.
The statistics show around 60-80 very concerned and active anglers on this site and that is good.....Lets hook up, have some fun and get to know one another so we can solve some problems and become a real voice for BC.......Let's go fishin'!...............Ortho 8)

· Registered
3,796 Posts

Count me in. I had a great time at Rampart this past July (near Princeton). and it is a short drive to get to The Thalia lakes from there. The thing that was great, was that it had the best and perhaqps the largest forestry campsite i think I have ever used. And it was empty for four days while we were there.

· Registered
691 Posts

Sounds like some fun. This gonna be a come one come all sort of thing? What about families, kids, wives, all that sort?

· Registered
909 Posts

Count us in :thumbup:
Crazy D

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

OK....If we are to do this, we need a central, convenient place to gather. Lets have a few suggestions. Lets have some lake suggestions. I have plenty of ideas as to how the group can have a lot of fun, without a derby or politics involved....JUst a fun weekend gathering....You springtime stillwater members know best....when????....Just after the long wekend? before the long weekend? June?
Give me some scoop......Ortho 8)

· Registered
279 Posts

I would love to do this and if we can nail a date down early I can plan to be off for it. I want to learn how to fly fish on the interior lakes and I'm sure you guys are who I want to learn from!! I hated to miss the fishouts BCFR has had this year but its been a crazy year for me and I just havent been able to make them.

· Registered
1,078 Posts

hey ortho sounds like fun. could i suggest leighton or tunkwa as the camping could accomadate a big group, as for time of year i would think after the long weekend in may.these lakes are of course fairly close to alot a day trip lakes that can produce some nice fish aswell. count me in.

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts

Leighton or Tunkwa are moody, but good lakes for nice sized fish but will be very busy in May and June. Good facilities however. I would also like to see the gathering called "Meet the Members." I agree with Finder, Roche is central to lakes around Kamploops as well as the Merritt area (where we can try a few hike in lakes that have some 5-8 pound fish!)Roche does not however offer a lot of privacy as a lot of the timber has been removed due to the pine beetle. Plus it can be very warm towards the end of June. My vote is for the weekend of May 31st. Most of the higher elevation lakes will have turned over by then.

· Registered
1,989 Posts

This is a great idea i'd go for sure so i can learn from the seasond vets on how to properly present a fly for some nice rainbows! I'm in! :thumbup:

CK

· Registered
2,676 Posts

BGM's right about Tunkwa and Leighton being busy. The big issue in the spring time is weather. We need options that are relatively close by incase of it. Bigger lakes like Tunkwa are very prone to the nasty stuff. However if we were more central there would be more options to tuck into. Even off the connector. Lundbom, Marquart, Courtney all within minutes of each other. Really it doesn't matter because for most of us, the campsites will be a home base and social central after fishing. I'm sure a good number of us will want to fish different lakes while up there. Only an hours drive in any direction can put you into multitudes of lakes. Regardless I feel this should be planned in late May at the earliest. By then turn over should be done in most of the lower elevation waters.

Finder ;)

· Registered
3,796 Posts

Knouff Lake is another good lake with many around it - Community, Heffley, Badger, Spooney, etc. - has lots of available camping if it is to be a family event.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.