BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BCFR Summer/Fall Fishing Contest

Well the summer is half over and the forums have been riddled with conjecture regarding snaggers, flossers, First Nations fisheries and DFO. While all of these are important when it comes down to affecting us sporties on the river, I am personally tired of beating that dead horse. This is why I would like to start a fishing contest to help bring back the Fishing Reports to BC Fishing Reports.

Based around Fishortho’s Fall fishing contest from last year, the categories will be the same for each month. However, the Grand Prizes will be different. We want to see reports and/or pictures from all types of fishing (even Bass fishing…Nates :D ) Lets see your Trout photo’s, Salmon reports from the fly and gear and Monster sturgeon stories. I would like to stress that I would like to see Catch and Release Practices throughout this contest as pictures of live fish are much better than pictures of dead ones :thumbup: . (If you are taking a picture of a C&R fish, please do your part by having your camera ready before pulling the fish out of the water…..nice pictures can even be taken while the fish is half submerged, I know the judges are partial to those ones ;) )

The contest is as follows:

Each month there are two winners, one for best picture (scenic and fishy shot) and one for best story. The contest will run until November 31, 2007 at which time the last two monthly winners will be awarded and the judges will sift through the stories and pictures for the Grand Prize Winners. The Grand Prize winners will be broken down into these separate divisions:

1. Best Salmon Picture
2. Best Sturgeon Picture
3. Best Trout Picture
4. Best Scenic Picture
5. Best Story

The prizes are still to be determined, but I am determined to get some quality gear to give away.

Contest Rules:

There are only two rules for this contest:

1. Entrants into the contest will be allowed 4 entries per month for each; Story, Fish Picture and Scenic (Scenic pictures also include
wildlife)

2. All pictures and stories must be current, coming from your latest expedition.

Posting your Story or Picture

Keep all of the story posts and pictures in this thread only If they are anywhere else they will not count. Please keep all comments in the Contest Comments Thread.

Prizes:

To Be Determined…………..

If you have a prize that you are willing to donate please PM or email me [email protected] We need some generous people to really make a good contest out of this. I am doing my part by offering up a number of prizes, let’s see what you guys have!

Winner Notification

Each winner will be notified shortly after the first of each month as the cutoff for entries is the 30th or 31st for each month.

THIS CONTEST STARTS TODAY!

All contest entries must post thier story and/or picture in this thread only. If it is posted elsewhere it will not be recognized

So dust off your rods, get on the water and start winning some prizes!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: BCFR Summer/Fall Fishing Contest....preliminary

If you like, I will beat, stomp and verbally harass our members and others in the business community to cough up a few items for the contest? JUst let me know and I will get on it...Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

fishortho said:
If you like, I will beat, stomp and verbally harass our members and others in the business community to cough up a few items for the contest? JUst let me know and I will get on it...Ortho 8)
Yes, Yes and Yes!! I was kind of hoping for some larger prizes for the final prizes (winners of all of the months combined). We'll see what people are willing to donate and go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts

Well I have three items to donate,one being a green simms hat DWM donated to the July bar fishout.
Collectivly one might consider these to be a fair prize....Still under fifty bucks thou... :D
:beerchug:....Marko

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sounds good, though PM me with the prize info. I need to start organizing the prizes for each month and the final prizes for the entire contest. I am still working through a few details regarding the final prizes and categories for those. As for the monthly winners it will still probably be just the picture and the story.

Maybe we could get a guide to donate a couple of hours on the water......I know that would be a nice prize!!

ANYONE WITH PRIZES PM ME WITH THE DETAILS! I NEED TO GET THINGS FIGURED OUT SO WE CAN GET THE CONTEST ROLLING

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts

Great Idea Trav...! Just so everyone knows, I will not be in the contest, I will be one of the many judges on the panel...

I hope everyone buys into this and look forward to seeing some great stuff on here!

Rib

:thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts

Hey If I can ever get my boat out of the shop and back on the water I'm IN. the writing part I'm not to good at (maybe I'll hire a ghost writer - hey rib wanna job) but I love to take Pic’s
FUN FUN FUN

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK Guys, sorry to do this to ya, but I am going to get these posts moved into a contest comments thread. This thread will be used strictly for entries!

Mods: please move all of these comments (even Mine (minus the contest part of course) into New thread labeled "Contest Comments" or something like that. Thanks

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I am going to give the members some ideas as to how you can scoop some prizes for ST and this year's fishing contest. These are things that ALL members can look into with a limited amt. of time and effort.
1) Go thru all your data bases...ie telephone lists, email lists and supplier lists(if you have a company) and call them all or send a blanket email to all.
2)As an employee of a firm, ask the boss if he/she would mind contributing some $$ or a nice prize for your hobby. Most are pretty good and can often donate, offer a gift certificate, or give you a lead.
3) Call all the people you know that have a business that supplies product tp the public
restaurant managers, bar tenders, manufactures etc. and have them donate a gift cert. or a dinner for two etc.
Those that manufacture anything of interest to the general public, ask if you can get one or two.
4) Call people you know within your families and request a donation to the cause
5) Your neighbours always have stuff to contribute....eneryone has been given stuff they never need....
6) Get in touch with the people at the Church, Lions club or rotary and have them make a contribution.

There's just a few ideas for ya.....now git out there and git some stuff for ST... ;D..........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Ok so I'll bite and start this one off. Great idea by the way. The skinny of this day was supplied by Ortho, who then gave it to me for a little editing. Which I then added a little of this and a little of that, to spruce it up a bit for your guys enjoyment. Not that it needed it Robert. Well this one was a team effort. :thumbup:

Pretty "in" Pinks

The alarm shook Ortho of his comfortable bed at 4:15am and after rustling Finder out of his sleep, two weary bodies were quickly deposited into the cab of Fish Finder’s truck without the benefit of a decent cup of coffee for either. A cup of Van Houtte's finest at the local Cheveron later on would have to do, as there was no Timmy's in the area. A true crime. A city of over a million people and there's no Tim Horton's in FFM's area. Hey when it comes down to it you'll sacrifice and take what you can get. Finder arrived the evening before, to cut on travel time for the day. He still couldn't believe that he had made it. Seeing his day to day life had been turned up side down home and family wise, trying to sell his hacienda in favor of a new pad. :p After a late night Crown Royal and wine sponsored filled gab session the boys were on their way in the creeping day light to meet Fly Fishing’ Magician at his house and head out to Squamish for a day of feather chucking, story telling, and hopefully fish catching. Doing this on three hours of sleep wasn't as easy as it used to be for either of them. :beerchug:

It was nice for a change to be a passenger, as Ortho usually prefers to drive himself to his fishing spots, however as he was "car-less" this weekend and FFM offered to do the navigation for the three of them of the Sea to Sky, so that was an offer Ortho, and Finder couldn't refuse. When the three of them usually hook up, it's to the interior, which Finder usually drives. The ride up was nice scenary wise. However the construction on the road for the Olympics had really chewed the road up along the way. :p The usual salt water haunts that were passed by on the way were packed full of vehicles of all sorts, and on certain locals from the highway anglers could be seen lined up along the beaches in search of some salt water action of their own. Anchored just off casting distance were those in boats working for the same fish as those on the shore. Finder likened it as being very reminiscent of some gravel bars along the Fraser during the sockeye openings. Fishing has been mentioned as good out there as of late, and when word gets out,...well you guys know the rest. ::) None the less the intended destination was further north, and to a little quieter surroundings. Or so they hoped.

Upon their arrival, they had a short walk through the trees and underbrush that is so common on the west coast, and arrived at the river in time to watch several seals, trying to make more seals, which has to be difficult in a fast flowing river. Of course a few jokes and one liners were tossed around about the activity going on in the water. :happy: Several fishers ahead in the shallows had already arrived early and staked out some prime turf and were into fish before any of the three made a first cast.

Ortho dug his old trusty old St. Croix 6 wt. for this expedition and FF sporting his trusty Loop and FFM the Sage guy also brought their lighter fly gear for the day. You don't need a "meat stick" for these little scrappers, but all of their rods were to get a good workout by some of the most brilliantly silver, river run pinks Ortho and Magician have seen locally in some years! 8) Finder,.. well he's was not a local from the city. Being an Eastern Valley country boy, it was his first trip to the area, since he was knee high. Rods were fastened together, lines were threaded, and fly's were tied to leaders. Ankle to shin deep in the shallows, they quickly got into a rhythm and the first hookup of the day in mere casts for FFM produced a beautiful doe, which made several long runs into the main river, before coming slowly to hand. A quick photo op was intended however FFM elected to let the first of the morning have his freedom before a shot could be taken. These fish are only a short swim, from the salt and are other wise ocean fresh sea lice and all. As stated above being this spunky they'll put most fly gear to the test. Six weight rods are a lot of fun on this system, but if you're a beginner to the fly fishing for salmon game, an 8 weight would be ideal.

At this point, you should be advised that all fish were kept in, or very close to the water and were very carefully released.

There is presently NO RETENTION of pinks in the Squamish or Mamquam rivers. Finder had mentioned he was kind of hoping the no retention clause would work to their advantage people wise. However being a weekend the angler traffic in the area to their surprise busier than usual. Nothing going for a little walk would remedy though. Ortho's camera was not available, as usual, but he was very fortunate to have the expert lens guys with him namely ‘Finder and FFM, who did a fine job of recording the day’s events. :thumbup:

It wasn't long after the first fish was released that all of them took turns catching and releasing about a dozen beautiful fish during the course of the early am fishery.

This one, was particularly scrappy and gave FFM several aerials to compliment some nice attempts at freedom.

All three agreed that the fish on this day were very light takers missing more than a few strikes each. As the hours wore on, the river traffic had eased to a minimum, now with various guides and their clients working the waters below.
As mentioned earlier, the seals in the area were numerous, but they seemed not to affect the fishing nor did any of the guys see any of them having breakfast or lunch. The only other interesting feature of the morning, aside from the good fishing was a very large suped up jet boat making trips up and down the river. Taxiing people on some sort of eco tour. "I hope this isn’t a regular occurrence for other and the local fishers, as it does spoil a rather peaceful spot with the noise" stated Ortho. These boats weren't your typical Fraser river sleds.
As usual with any trip the three tried for that one last hook up before calling it a day. FFM and Ortho was able to manage a hand full more hook ups between them, but failing to bring one last one to hand. All the while Finder managed to fooled a few more close close out the deal on those occasions. A perfect way to end a great day.

Here are a couple more pictures of some other of these little bullets that we did battle with before hitting the highway home. Pink is for pinks could not be demonstrated more clearly as 90% of the fish caught were on "pink woolly flashy buggers" and a few derivatives. Fished off with success type 3 slow sink tips.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/ffinder/P8110536.jpg?t=1186979673
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/ffinder/P8110534.jpg?t=1186979721
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/ffinder/P8110535.jpg?t=1186979800
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/ffinder/P8110538.jpg?t=1186980408
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/ffinder/P8110539.jpg?t=1186980584
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h202/ffinder/P8110543.jpg?t=1186982349

It was a great day to be out under the cooler over cast sky. The weather co-operated and the boys even got home 2 hrs. earlier than expected!

Thanks for driving Aaron, and Kevin, thanks for taking all those $$$ shots of our pretty "in" pinks

‘Til the next time..............Tight lines. Ortho and Finder

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fish Finder said:
Tell you what, if the judges want they can give full credit under Ortho's name. I don't care about winning a contest. It's more for you guys. I just wanted to give this thread a kick start. ::)

Finder ;)
Thats going to be a tough one Finder....Ortho is a member of the judging panel ;D. Way to get the ball rolling though.....I figure people would be more interested in trying to win some new gear! There will be some good prizes to be had!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Thanks for throwing the post on the board, Kevin. along with the very nice pics.... It should give the members an idea of how to compose a report, etc. along with some pics.........For those of you that have cameras and no clue how to post them or do not have the time, you could download them onto your computer then email them to Ortho, Rib, or Fish Finder......Yes, Kevin, I did volunteer for the judging panel this year, so I will not be eligible for any prizes...............I have everything I need anyway!.........Great wife, kids and home and a few more years to enjoy!...........Ortho

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.