BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just tied up a whack load of steely flies for the spring, do u pro's norm like to have bead head flys? I just did some basic non-beaders up.... will it do the job?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am no pro, but I have opinions and experience. I like bead head flies. It is the most attractive way to add weight. But I really do not think the fish care. I used to catch fish without beads, so I'm sure they still work.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
the only real difference between having the bead and not having it is that with the bead the fly can stay down longer where as the non beaded fly will rise quicker. personally i like both types of flies but i also like tying mine with lead around the hook under everything :thumbup: when you need that extra to get down. beadheads are great for glo bug patterns to keep them down and not swaying everywhere :peace:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Once spring rolls around and the water temps rise, getting and keeping your offering near the bottom doesn't seem to be as important. More times than not a nicely presented fly can coax a fish right into the shoreline before the intitial strike on the fly takes place. Personally I tend to favor the unweighted flys this time of year over the ones with weight. I feel if they can see it, and they're frisky enough, then there's a chance. :thumbup: On the other hand, as Stone previously mentioned Painted Lead eyes would be a good choice. I find this especially true in the colder conditions of winter.

Finder ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like adding a bead to most of my flies if fishing deeper pools. I have sink tip but if I am just wanting to drift a fly through a pool I ensure it is a BH (wooley or nymph usually)or the like and drift it through. WAY better than putting on shot, man I hate shot. Also for extra weight as mentioned lead under the body is a great idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.