BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just trying to get some information today! I have tried the odd casts with a friends fly rid and it never works out in my favor. However whenever I see or hear about him landing a fish on the fly it seems like an unbelievable experience. I was wondering if anyone had any information on where I should go to purchase a fly rod (specifically for salmon as it seems like that would be the biggest rush)and also if anyone could give me hints tips techniques or possibly know of an instructor who could teach me the fundamentals and set me up for what will hopefully become a lifelong hobby!
thank you for reading this far haha and I will greatly appreciate any information anyone can give!
thanks
jackson

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
PM Jeff Weltz (Newsman on this site). He does a lot of casting instruction. A couple hours instruction will get you started in the right direction. Then it becomes a matter of learning more for the rest of your life.

Reactions: Jackson

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I agree with professori but I would start off with trout if I were you. Easier learning curve and once you can cast salmon will be easier. Cutties at Easter:2cents:

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's OK FatherJuan. When I was a kid my older brother was standing behind me while I was casting and I hooked the back of his head! We couldn't get the fly out so we cut the line and carefully brushed his hair over the fly to hide it. He went around for a day with the fly in his head until he freed it himself the next night. We were so afraid of my Mom finding out and possibly ban us from going fishing anymore!

Daveroo

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Although I have hooked my clothing plenty of times, I have only managed to hook my flesh twice. Once burying a Knouff Lake Special (actually on Knouff Lake at the time)in my nose. That one required a trip to the doctor for removal. The other was an Intruder in my left ear. On that trip there were 3 of us fishing and one of the other guys was a doctor. Stream-side surgery without anesthetic (unless you count single malt).

Reactions: arrgh!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Stuck a Size 8 green and black woolly bugger right through the cartilage of my ear fishing near Stonehenge. Had the damn thing dangling out of my ear all day as I had left my pliers in my truck on the other side of the lake. Pre-barbless days. Got back to the truck at the end of the day and cut the barb off to get it out of my ear

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is a easy way to remove any hook that is caught in your skin barbless or not. My father in law told me a story of when he was younger. Him and his brother were out fishing some lake and his brother, who is extremely accident prone, managed to bury a rather large barbed hook into his hand. They left the hook in his hand and on the way to the hospital stopped at a pub for a drink, he says to calm his brother down. Some old timer at the bar took one look at it and said I can get that out! Took a string, tied some special knot around the shank of the hook and have one quick yank on the hook and POP, out it came. He has yet to show me the knot, but claims to have used it successfully on a few occasions.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I read about that trick in a fly fishing book I picked up this summer, and judging by the illustrations the inner sceptic in me thought that trick could be potentially painful but that video proves me wrong!

·
Registered
327 Posts
True. I guess it would depend on where you got the hook stuck. It would definitely be nerve racking, like the guy said if your going to yank, don't do it half assed, give it a good hard pull.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
8)And, For as COOL as it may sound!
DON"T fly fish naked.
Especially in the wind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts