BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks.

I first would like to thank everyone for supporting our product by purchasing our jigs and spinners, thank you very much people.

I just wanted to mention that I had received a email about a fellow who had problems with hooks bending on Chums. These were 1/0 sickles in pin and bead sets he tied himself.

A couple of things to remember to avoid bending hooks, SET the hook, if you do not you will only have the fish hooked with the point of the hook and it can open on an angry dog.
If you set the hook it will sink to the sickle bend and you will land that fish almost guarateed. The sickles have tremendous landing ratio when you set the hook to the tight sickle bend.

Next is do not try and skate in a crazy Chum without letting it tire, these are very hard pulling salmon that require some time to turn there head to shore, fishing is supposed to be fun and part of that fun is fighting the fish. If you wish to blast that Chum straight to the shore than probably jigs are not gonna be your deal.

Also if you are fishing from a boat, DO NOT use pin and bead jigs, the bead gets caught in the netting and the thrashing Chum will tear the jig apart everytime. This is the exact reason I make lead head Chum Jigs for stores and my own use. You should have no problem with nets and lead heads, they work great for our daily guiding use and we put the jigs through hell with Chummies.

One last note, every jig has a life span, of course a dragon toothed devil Chum is gonna wreak havoc on a feathery creation, to be expected. Great time to learn to tie jigs and re-use those beaten down jigs from the dogs of hell.

Good luck out there and say HI if you see me around.

p.s. Coho have been hammering twitched jigs for us this season, look for my youtube video on "twitching for Coho" after the guiding season ends.

I also wanted to mention that our prices for online ordering are not meant to conflict with tackle store pricing.
When you add the shipping costs to our online prices they are on par with the prices at tackle stores.
I strongly urge clients who live near a tackle retailer who carries our products to support the local retailer.

For those clients who have no access to our products we do have the mail order set up available, or for larger bulk orders such as guide purchases.

Thanks for supporting our company and products.

Bent Rods

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Oh sure keep us in suspense - lol.... can you at least give us the color that you recommend for coho? We'd like to try a few tomorrow...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought the Bent Rods DIY pack. They definitely were fun to tie. I did have one hook break rather than bend, but that must have been a one off!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lynn, I am just using pink curly tails on the pink 1/4 oz lead head, nothing more.

As far as those Stave Cohos go, my buddies have been having a tough time with them(getting some but not alot) as they have been around a bit, hopefully we see another massive push of Coho like the one 2 weeks ago, when they were hot they were biting very well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
fished the Puntledge for chums last week(Thursday), using only jigs, and hooked into 7 chums(released all) with the largest being around 12-14lbs?, used Rods hooks, tied up by Younggun, had no problems with the hooks,no bending, and yes, those chums fight!!..
the best one was an "Eliminator" tied with ,purple/pink with sparkle body...
here is my post, (from another site)

Thread - Puntledge 2010
Post #85
never have I caught a salmon or steelhead with a jig, until today..

went down to the Puntledge for only the second time(with rod in hand) this year, and short floatfished only with jigs, I hit and gently landed and released 7 chums,(no coho
) all hooked in the mouth
, I tried 3 different jigs&colors, with all 3 catching fish..

other than not foul hooking any in the back or tail,nice thing was not hanging up on bottom with your hook or weight,

next time out guys/gals give it a try..

P.S. pic posted to my ''gallery'' is not of good quality,taken from my cell phone..

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also just got back from fishing the puntledge (we left on wednesday the 20th and got back sunday 24th)and all I can say is WOW! I was short floating jigs that I tied up with Bentrods DIY packs and could not keep the chum off. Chartreuse/pink and a purple sparkle creation worked unbelievable and we were into 50 or more fish each day. The second day the first 3 casts ended up being 3 fish landed and released.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you guys getting pretty fresh Chums in the Punt ?, figure you would being straight outta the salt.

Sad that river isn't the Steelhead factory of yesteryear.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Rod , almost all I caught had sea lice on them , some coming in dirty but there are some real chromers in there, Here's a pic of one that's going to the smoker. PA2201791.jpg First time fishing the island, and I can't wait to go back!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noice Chumlie Salmonhunter, we only see a few like that in these parts, but we do get pretty good runs of still quite Chrome fish that can get pretty huge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts