BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Not sure if I'm posting in the right area...I tried to find one for gear discussion...maybe I'm blind/idiot?
Anyways,

I have a new 8 weight rod that I want to use for salmon/steelies. What reel would you suggest for a 100-200$ price point?
I'm going to be hard to sway from pfluegers president, ( as I have the #5/6 and it's gorgeous) but Looking to try something new.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I bought a sage reel last year brand new that is in your price range. Nice reel and has a good drag system. Also life time warranty :thumbup: . I think Hook bought the same one.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
yup im sure its the same reel. the reel is a SAGE 1680 large arbour and retails around 110 (what i paid) :thumbup: great reel and can stop a chum dead in its tracks (if need be)

I suggest getting a large arbour for salmon/steelies fishing because its great to have the ability to pick up the line faster.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I dunno dude I have the Sage 1880 (7-9wt) and I am really not impressed with it. I know it's a cheap reel and you get what you pay for but to be honest I really hate this reel. A friend of mine got a Reddington SVIII the same time I got my Sage and I think I'd much rather have that reel. It's a bit lower in price too.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean, all I can say about the sage is that I don't like it's styling ha ha...I know that means nothing but everyone likes a little sex appeal. (no offense to those that have them...)

I'll probably end up going with another pflueger...you really get some bang for your buck. On ebay it's 120 bucks (130 w/ shipping) and the model below it retails for 150 at army/navy. so im guessing it's a good deal.

I know I've only had a BFR cartridge style reel since i was 15 but this seems like a beaut reel for what you pay for

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought a Redington Titanium CDL last year, so far I have been very impressed. It is very smooth and has incredible stopping power in the drag. Redington also has the lifetime warranty like Sage the parent company. This reel gets two :thumbup: from me for the price arround a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I thought I'd also throw in the Lamson Konic 3.5 for consideration. I haven't personally tried the Konic, but the internals (spindle, sealed roller bearing drag system, etc.) are exactly the same as the Velocity (which I've tried) and Litespeed. The Konic saves money by using an injection molded and machined process for the aluminum, instead of barstock...BUT, the grade of aluminum they use rivals the best barstock in the market (supposedly). I've seen these reels regularly go for just over a hundred bucks US in ebay, and often with free shipping to Canada.

The best feature that I like about Lamson reels has to be their drag system. There's no backlash, has very low startup intertia, and very powerful. Don't know if the aesthetics will appeal to you, but considering it's on the lower end of your price range, and the features and quality that you get from a large US reel company...it's worth at least a look.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just bought the Konic for my new 6wt. and it has an incredible drag.. I also have the reddington Titanium CDL on my 8wt and the drag is also real nice with lot's of fine tuning capability. I've battled big chums with it and it held up nice!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Stick with the Pflueger, good value for the money. I personally fish a Ross BG4 but that's definately a little over budget. I am switch most my reels to click/pawl as I find it's a ton more fun to watch them screem :happy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.