BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got very frustrated in lower mainland lake trout fishing. I tried bread, dough, shrimp either cooked or raw, roe and never got a bite. :wallbash: Personally I don't like worms. I saw one guy using Berkley power bait had a great success. He consistently pulled out trout and maximum out.

Any suggestions on which kind bait works great and the best timing for the rainbow trout fishing? Also I would like to try No. 2 Colorado blade in the lakes. Not sure the spinner works or not?

Thanks for any advice.

· Registered
25 Posts
Dont forget its about location and presentation as well. Matching your leader strength and your hook size to the targeted species is a must. I find light line and smaller hooks for trout cant go wrong. Give the worm another chance and try the berkely power baits. They can work really well at times. Good luck!

· Registered
1,989 Posts
If you seen a guy getting his limit using power bait, wouldn't that be your first choice? I've used cooked shrimp, worms,power bait, nibblits corn, roe, single eggs and have caught trout in lakes with these baits not all at once tho! lol

CK

· Registered
1,989 Posts
To fish power bait proper you have to use a sliding weight shaped kinda like an egg, slide your weight to your mainline and tie on a swivel! Then tye on a leader probably 1 maybe 2 feet and cover your entire hook with power bait and your set! You don't want the trout to feel the weight when the bite the hook! Hope this helps a little!

CK

· Registered
105 Posts
Nice! I'll have to give that a try. Power bait has never worked for me...

coho_killer said:
To fish power bait proper you have to use a sliding weight shaped kinda like an egg, slide your weight to your mainline and tie on a swivel! Then tye on a leader probably 1 maybe 2 feet and cover your entire hook with power bait and your set! You don't want the trout to feel the weight when the bite the hook! Hope this helps a little!

CK

· Registered
58 Posts
Not a big bait fisherman, but have had a hard time keeping them off using Dick Nites! Pink and white or the half gold, half silver ones.... DEADLY! Hundreds of fish caught this year on them already. Landed a 5 pound cutty last weekend!

· Registered
898 Posts
If you seen a guy getting his limit using power bait, wouldn't that be your first choice?
just what i thought

You should of asked what set up he was using too(hook size leader size etc

as northriver2 said maybe he was in the right location and you were not

was he using a float if so how deep was he fishing

lots to take into account here

dont be afraid to watch and learn from others(so long as it is legal)

I have hooked trout on all sorts of bait and set ups

now i just fly fish for lake trout

you can even use a fly under a bobber

just keep experimenting
take a few different baits out with you
change your set up too

when i fly fish i change my set up and my flies till i get a bite
this is the fun part of fishing tracking down the fish and getting them to bite

dont forget its called fishing not catching :thumbup:

good luck out there

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the great advices. I will try either bottom fishing with sliding weights or float fishing using some worms and power baits (close to Hatchery one). Also I will try spoons or spinners as I had great success using those stuff in salmon fishing on the river.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.