BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a new pair of chest-waders that Ill be using on the bow this summer and for general purpose fishing.
I've never used breathable waders but I like the idea. I've been looking at the Cabelas web site and Im wondering if anyone has an opinion of wether I should go for the $140 Cabelas brand or the $300 Simms?
I would like to get something that will last, I hate buying gear that doesn't work properly or will break down just when I need it. I also don't like spending more than I need to. I have just started my shopping and would rather buy locally from a small store than from a big box US chain so any ideas are welcome.
Also, are breathable waders damaged by exposure to salt water?
Grant Brown
White Rock

·
Registered
96 Posts
sink tip - my 2 cents worth is:

I have been lucky and found some incredible bargains on waders and boots over the last few years - I love my Simms - I have a summer weight pair for those hot summer days and long walks or drifts and an older regular weight pair.

- But I found a great deal on a cheaper pair of breathables a few years back and they are a heavy weight BUT I use these along with an inexpensive pair of boots I picked up for all my saltwater fishing or if serious bush wacking is involved .

My gear is all in great shape because no one set carries the whole load and I always hang them up when not in use.

My three pairs cost me just over 500.00 - spread over the last 5 or so years - took some time but worth the looking ( one pair online the others were from local shops)

The bargain opportunities came to me so I took advantage and not sure if I will ever need to buy another pair.

Back to your question - Love my Simms

Oakey

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
And your others (not simms) are?...........................
A bargain`s a bargain but what else is workin`for ya

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
Lots of previous threads on the wader debate. I would say make sure you avoid any wader with a seam between the legs and in the crotch area as these are stress points and vulnerable to leaks in the seam. If you do a lot of bushwacking and are really hard on them, I would go the economy route. IMHO there is no such thing as a wader that will eventually not leak. I spent $200 last year on a pair of Snowbee breathables and there is already a pinhole leak in the stockingfoot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got a wife that is a director of product for a major outdoor brand and they did a line of flyfishing products about 9 years ago and I hooked up with waders - not breathable (also a ton of vests and jackets lucky me). I also used a pair of the old style neoprene with wading boots. I used to do work for a guy who was good friends with a fly fishing rep so I've never really had to pay full retail for much.
So in terms of what works for me, anything cheap has worked fairly well so far.
Grant

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
I just bought a Weber BBQ for the first time. Top of the line. Some say it will last for 15-20 years if taken care of. I spent 1000 bucks. We'll see if it holds up. My previous BBQ was $199 from Superstore. It lasted 7 years. But, I didn't want to have to baby it. I wanted to use it and put it away wet and dirty. That's what I did. It worked well even in it's later years. So, it comes down to buying a cheaper product and pushing it hard and seeing what you can get out of it. Or, paying big bucks and waiting to see if your investment pays off? Life might be too short to wait for that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Heh Scissorbill

2 pairs Simms and I pair of older Wardell - the Wardell are the saltwater and bushwakers I use - still no holes - maybe just lucky though

Oakey

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hey just thought I'd put my two cents in
I have some dan bailey breathables...and I love them except for the velcro ankle fastener. Just doesnt stay that secure, and doesn't really look that great.
Other than that, they are comfy, durable and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a pair of North by Northwest brand breathabels that I bought a Joe's in Bellingham for about $100. Although the first pair went back under warranty, I've had the second pair for several years now. Very happy with it. The only leakage is a hole that was self induced.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've tried a pair of Cabelas Dryplus waders in the past. I decided to give them a try because I don't really like the fit of my Simms waders on the lower leg (too tight), and many Americans seem to swear by the Cabelas waders. I took them on a trip to Montana, and they delaminated at the thighs on the first day. I was wet the rest of my trip, and it kind of ruined my trip. Cabelas does have a no nonsense return policy, but I would have rather had a pair of waders that kept me dry.

I had Simms classic guides back then...ended up just buying a set of G3's (first generation) and they've been good for years. Best bang for the buck are probably Simms' cheapest Gore-Tex waders.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have used Simms, Bare breathables in the past and managed a year out of both those brands. Mind you I put in about 1500 hrs min. and alot of bushwacking every year. The last pair I bought were Reddington about 4 Years ago. Still going strong. My brother has a pair of Wright&McGills and loves them says they are very comfortable. Don't know about how they would last with myself mind you. If you only fish a few days a month any wader will be good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Willy J's cost me under 200 and keep me warm and dry....cant complain so far...2nd season.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I do a lot of saltwater fishing and my simms have been good to me for 2 years and have just recently started to leak around the sock. Just be sure to rinse after saltwater use and you will be fine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
no matter which brand you purchase the fit of the waders is very important. Make sure the strees points are kept to a minimum and the waders are not too lose so they rub when walking.
I remember seeing a pair of brand new waders returned to a shop that did not fit the angler. He had walked from the Vedder crossing to Lickman and back the first day and wore a hole in the material at the knees. The guy of course said they were poor waders and wanted his money back but the waders should never have been sold to him in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.