BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, this year was very knowledgeable for me.. I saw so many guys using the 1(over 62)+3jags rule for salmon. Example: this weekend I saw a guy getting more than 25 hits of the spring for sure and he landed no more than 5. He injured so many fish like nobody else even some groups together. In my opinion there is a very little chance to catch a coho with the same method as a spring , may be I am wrong. And the other thing is I've never seen a ranger checking licences for noted catch. I want to know your opinion:
Is not it better to give rule/law 2(or I do not know may be 3or 4) fish per day (no matter what kind of salmon) and that is it and reward for who reports a poacher with an evidence?

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Drakfero,

making the regs 3-4 salmon per day regardless of species leaves it open to people taking more coho than the current allowable daily limit. There are not as many coho, thus this might result in less coho for other anglers if someone is flossing 25 fish a day and keeping coho over springs. The methods of flossing that many springs will also get coho to answer your question...also, the regs set up that way make it necessary for angler to be able to identify their catch. If it were a limit such as you suggest, anglers would not have to id their fish, just kill their 4 and go. Thus some wild coho might get killed as well, or sockeye or what have you...not a good situation for those fish that need to be protected...

As for rewards for reporting violations, not very practical I'm afraid. Many violations don't even get investigated or are over with by the time officers get there...we should all report violations anyways, but it is more out of honor and respect for the rules and the resource...not to get a prize...

my :2cents:

rib

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking about protecting the fish.. everybody sees how the fish are injured from the hooks.. i do not think that fish hit 3 times has many chances to survive. When I see a guy trying to land spring with a size 2 hook it makes me laugh.

· Registered
61 Posts
drakfero said:
I was talking about protecting the fish.. everybody sees how the fish are injured from the hooks.. i do not think that fish hit 3 times has many chances to survive. When I see a guy trying to land spring with a size 2 hook it makes me laugh.
I use size 2 hooks for springs....what size do you use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.