BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all you guys. In your experience what makes for the best trolling motor and more importantly back up motor:

a) 9.9 hp, 4-stroke high thrust, or
b) 15 hp, 4 stroke

I have a 20 ft welded aluminum, with a 130 hp Honda, the boat wieghs approximately 5000 lbs loaded. I have a 8 hp Honda kicker that works OK as a trolling motor but doesn't have enough power to act as a back up motor (i.e. it is too slow).

What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The 9.9 High Thrust would be my choice ......... stays under the motor restriction and should have enough jam to get you where you wanna go.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 22' double eagle, it weighs 6000 lbs dry. I havea 9.9 high thrust as a kicker. The high thrust moves my boat full of gas and four people aboard, quite nicely. With the gas prices what they are, I try to use the 9.9 when ever I can. I troll in some pretty heavy seas and the 9.9 just purrs me along, pretty good.
Also heard that you can tweek the carb of a 9.9 yamaha and make it a 25 HP, because the body of a 9.9 and 25 hp are the same, just different carberation. Anybody heard of this?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I know that you could do that with the old 9.9's and make them at least 15's ....... but I think the new 4 strokes use totally diff. stuff and you can't do that anymore. Too bad ..... so sad. Was good while it lasted.

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have tweeked a few honda 8 hp motors...What year is your motor..Even some of the new 4 strokes can be fairly easily cranked up a wee bit...Changing out the prop can make a big difference as well to match it better for the weight of your boat...
But, I just have to tweek most of the vehicles I have .(97 Dodge Diesel and 2002 Volkswagen TDI , both much faster than they were stock).There's always ways to get more out of almost any motor,,you just have to dig a bit ... :eek: :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts