BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
Just after some advice on a good lure/plug etc.. for slow lake trolling. I currently use Lyman's and the occasional Apex spinner, all about 4" long for bigger rainbows with a nice long leader (20'+). I use 4-6 ounce weights and go real slow, I get a fair amount of bites and the occasional nice trout but I am looking to add a third option... I currently fish Okanagan, Wood and Kalamalka lake.

Thanks in advance for any advice given and tight lines to all.
:cheers:
Cheers

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I would try a black and silver sparkle Kwikfish or Flatfish in a couple different sizes. I have also tried Coyote (green and white) and Len Thompson spoons (black and white) with decent success on Okanagan, Mabel and Adams Lake. For Wood its always your standard Kokanee rigs. I never fish plugs, spoons or Apexs there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely buy a Kwikfish, thanks. Where do you suggest buying in Kelowna? I usually end up at Canadian Tyre as they have a larger choice than WalMart.... I have also been to HyMart on the Westside and the trout and fly fishing store in Kelowna - knowledgeable guys in there.
Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Apex...

Hello,

My favourittes right now are the Black pearl and skunk Apex Lures... Great for trolling trout and springs in the lake... I've heard the Apex Frog is good too, I have one but I've never tried it... You can never go worng with Crocs also!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yup +1 to the black and silver speckle kwikfish. Its one of my go to lures. I have also had good luck with the Perch and also a frog looking hotshot. I troll them beind Ford Fenders with a 2'-3' leader. Another go to setup is the Ford Fender with a wedding ring tipped with worm. Just enough worm to cover the hook otherwise I find you get alot of fish sucking on the worm instead of hitting the hook. Just some things that work for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I usually use just silver but sometimes half and half(coper/silver). I fish early may then again in fall for trout so Im not going deep and dont use any weights myself. Weights will be fine just before the fenders if you want to use them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bingo bugs, available in all above colour combinations at Berry's and other major tackle retailers. I am no expert angler and these things never fail to produce on any still water in BC!

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Bingo Bugs, Frisky Flies and if you check out the latest edition of BC Outdoors Fishing magazine, they have a similar lure features in the Tackle Talk section. I'm not sure what they call em but they are a combination flatfish lure with some fly fishing acoutrements and yes they work especially if you just want to troll otherwise I would just try fly gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bingo bugs look unreal! the website says A&C sports on Banks rd in Kelowna carries them, never heard of it. Looking forward to getting my hands on them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Panther-Martin-Rglr-Spinner-1.jpg

Panther martin and... Mepps Fury black spinner with orange or yellow dots.

i have pulled in countless Trout on these lures, especially mepps fury. (orange dots)

also i use a (Clip on) weight? that falls down the line when the fish bite. anyone now what these are called?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yah, I use Gibbs slip sinkers anything from 1-5oz. They are great as I can just slip them on and off unlike a banana weight...

BGM- Where would you suggest going in Kelowna for the best range of lures?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you guys dress you hooks by the way? I have Chartreuse maggots and pink trout balls... can never decide if or which lure to dress?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Greetings all,
all about 4" long for bigger rainbows with a nice long leader (20'+).

:cheers:
Cheers

How does one manage with such a long leader? I usually tie mine about the same length as the rod i am using, seems to be way easier to bring fish to the net this way, unless of course you are using a small enough swivel that will go thru your rod eyes. When trolling different gear be aware that lures of different styles will not always work together,an example would be an apex compared to a lyman, i have found that each requires a different speed to achieve the proper actions, i feel it is usually best to keep your lures the same with a different colour combo rather than using different lures on at the same time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only ever have one on at a time, I just rotate depending on the Lake and bite... The only one I use a long leader on is the large #4 and up Lyman's. Honestly the only reason I do so is that's what they told me at the Lyman store and it is also written on the back of the packaging. My guess is the bigger ones need the extra free line to swing as they have a lot of action. It is a pain in the ass though.... For an Apex I just keep the leader it comes with (around 2-3' I think)

·
Registered
18 Posts
liek big green said =] black & silver sparkle flatfish gave me pretty good results in okanagan. also had some good fish with the silver/black rapalas

·
Banned
151 Posts
Man,I can't seem to find them at any depth and wondering what I'm doing wrong. Maybe lures aren't the "go to" attractant. What about the good old worm? I'll take all help/advice. I'm also wondering if my weight is too close to the lure. I put it the length of my rod,8', so to make netting easier.
thanks guys. To keep with the thread topic,my favorite is the 2" rainbow rapala!! WHEN it works.lol

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Most of my leaders are tied to my plugs, spoons etc. and stored in my tackle box neatly using pieces of straw to secure the rolled up leader. This allows for quick changes. Just like salmon fishing I experiment with depths and lures and speed frequently. Leader length will depend on the type of lure-longer for plugs. I have also not used a leader at all like when fishing small spinners. Also, if you use a slip sinker you need to let out 20 feet of line before clipping it on. That's the benefit of using a slip sinker, you can keep it a long ways from the lure without it interfering with your rod tip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts