BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i,m looking for a used manual d.r. has anyone used all the different brands out their with a favorite thanks joe

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The "best one" is one that is permanently attached to your fishing partner's hand. :p

Seriously though....I have used a few different generation of Scotty manual riggers back to the ones that used to have the royal blue plastic on them. I wasn't crazy about them but didn't have much to compare them to. If you weren't fishing too deep I guess they may not be all that bad. I should add that these older ones were mounted on the stainless railing of a Whaler and part of the pain was the mount as well. The ones I mention below were mounted on "proper" mounts and are much easier to use as you can get leverage on them without having to worry about the mount slipping etc.

A friend has a couple of the newer manuals on his boat in the Gulf Islands and they're not bad to use......but after using electrics they just don't seem "right". ;)

I have seen the Penn ones that TG mentioned but have never used them.

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
My neighbor has been using the cheap Cannons from Cabelas in freshwater. Not sure how they would hold up in the chuck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have the afformentioned Penn vertical crank downriggers and I like them alot, a little easeir on the shoulder when cranking, but they are still no electrics.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Penn Manual DR

Just got the bought and it came with Penn Manual Downriggers... I checked them both prior to using and they were on solid...

Later though we lost one for some reason, but we kept using the one we had two days again and it was great... up ,and down manually chasing the fish balls ny Sucia Island (WAshington)...

The downriggge got us on Ling Cod, which we set free, but am now looking for the othe downrigger via craigslist...

tight lines to ya...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've tried both Scotty & Cannon. I prefer the canon as it has a vertical crank style & bicycle peddle type handles to bring it up. Super simple and a lot easier then Scotty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.