BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

So I bought a sage fli 5 weight early this year and had my old cortland 444 wf 5 f, wf 5 type 1 sink and 444 type 6 sink. So far I have only used the intermed and the floating.

Now, I also have the fli 8 weight with rio v tip. This rod loads up rad and I can really bust casts out there. Not to mention it feels really good.

In comparison, I don't feel like I'm loading my fast action rod up enough with the cortland 5 weight lines. I've been working on my cast and as of last week I was probably getting approx 30+/-5 feet out. However, I was REALLY working hard.

So my question. Has anyone found a better combination? Or are my expectations unrealistic?

I'm looking to get a new sink tip. suggestions?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
There are many good lines out there that work very nicely for me and my casting style, but when you try them, they might not feel right to you. The personal feel is what is most often overlooked in line selection. Head out to your nearest tackle shop and see if they have any demos they can let you try. All that sid, I find the new Rio Outbound to be a very nice match for a faster action rod.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
I havent tried a major variety but i also really like the Scientific Anglers lines. pretty sure thats what all my lines are except my salmon lines of course. i do own a clear camo from Cortland but dont fish it often because i dont like it much, i will probably replace it with a different clear line eventually LOL

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey all, so maybe my expectations were kind of off. I measured and marked my line at 30, 40 50, 60 feet. I'm actually casting more like 50+/-5 feet. I guess with the metric/imperial system mish-mash that I was brought up with, I can't estimate either very well!

Still, It just doesnt feel right...gonna have to get out there any try some of your suggestions!

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
i read in a fly fishing book that you catch most of your fish within 50feet of you so dont worry about being able to toss all 90or so feet of the line :beerchug: most of us dont usually cast more then say 70feet unless we need to get to "those fish rising" and dont feel like pulling anchor to get to them :-\

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I was just given the Rio outbound to try and it has not dissapointed me at all. Loads the rod nicely and shots really well :thumbup: . I would look into this line for your rod.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If you buy any of the new lines that are meant to load a faster action, like the GPX mentioned above, you'll find that the same line weight floater will load your rod much better. If you buy a new line (or use an older model line) meant for a more moderate action, then you might want to overline your rod by one line weight if you want your rod tip to load quicker while supporting little line in the air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.