BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Got there 10 pm Fri night. Sat was excruciatingly slow until the evening sedge hatch between 8 and 10 pm which was insane.12 fish in 2 hours. Sunday, more of the same. Searching during the day with mayfly nymph patterns, chironomids, damsel and Tom Thumbs got the odd fish including a 4 lber on a green wooly bugger. The evening hatch was wild again but not so hot as Sat. Monday am a huge slick of caddis, chironomid and mayfly shucks on the water close to the campsite. Fishing hot till about 7am. Water temp around 67F. Left with over 30 fish landed for 2 full days fishing to 24" and 4-5lbs. Saw some real monsters in the shallows. My best caught by the light of the full moon on a huge sedge pattern I tied really crappily about 10 years ago. Spooled me twice and jumped all over the place. Sad to see all the clearcuts and beetle-killed pine everywhere. Haven't been here for 5 years or so. Camp site pretty much clear cut due to beetle. On the plus side...no campfire ban here. You can have a fire up to 18" in diameter and it had obviously rained copiously quite recently. Distinct lack of wildlife evident apart from some very fat loons and an eagle. Weather warm in the daytime, distinctly chilly at night. Bring a bigger sleeping bag than mine!

P7240002zoom.jpg P7240008.jpg P7250012.jpg P7250010.jpg P7240005.jpg P7250017.jpg P7260022.jpg P7250009.jpg P7240006.jpg P7240007.jpg

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Great Pics Arrgh...sad to hear of the clearcuts, surprised you didn't see any bear either, usually there are a few around on the way in...it's been a while since I've been up there, beautiful lake...it'd be nice to revisit one of these years. Great report!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice photos. Looks like you weren't alone out there. Did I understand correctly that you fished through the night until 7:00am?
LOL, no, although I can see how you might have misinterpreted the post. We fished till about 10.30pm until it was too dark to see then up at first light until things tailed off about 7.30 am. The only time I have ever fished all night was Sea Trout fishing in northern Scotland where it is legal and also where it is light all night.
We did have company but a lot less people than I anticipated. Just a couple of other people all weekend. When we left the lake was empty but for a lone angler who has fished there since they filled it up:cheers:

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heading up to Island again on Sunday to Wed. Just wondering if anyone has fished it recently? I imagine things are probably happening a little later this year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I heard there was a small winterkill this year, mostly larger fish. I know someone who was up about 3 weeks ago who landed 8 all between 15-19inches

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
You might want to choose another lake as Big ok and Logan both suffered some winterkill and it has not been fishing very well at all.......Ortho

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bugger, well that's nice to know. Thanks for the info, guys. Any other suggestions in the area? We are hammock camping, electric motor, fly only.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That really sucks about the winter kill. Sure had fun up there last year.... :( sage

·
Registered
138 Posts
love the sedge hatch on island.
our favourite was to fish it thru dark.
the main problem though is the bats.
they swoop down and grab at your fly.
one of my friends actually "caught" one.

it's amazing in the dark.
all you can hear are the fish leaping and splashing back into the water.

some of them sound like boulders being thrown out of a boat.
there are some very big fish in there.
a fouteen lber was caught a couple years ago.
i've had a big one on but wasn't successful in getting it in.

i heard last year that they might be killing the lake off with poison.
apparently perch have been found in the lake.
does anyone know if this has happened?

·
Registered
886 Posts
duallie, please tell me you are kidding about perch being found in the lake as this is the first time I have heard about this! :( Spent many a great days on this lake over the years during the fall boatmen movement, and yes the sedge hatch is well simply UNBELIEVABLE at times!

:cheers: sage

·
Registered
138 Posts
that's what i've heard.
i havent been up there in a while though.
surely if they are indeed in the lake, they wouldn't be hard to spot.
just watch on the retrieve.
if perch are present, they'd be following.

i hope it's just a rumour.
but even that could be devastating, as fisheries seems to act quickly on poisoning a lake once they hear about perch.
but then again, they seem to ignore them sometimes as well.
look at pinaus.
it's thick with perch and they haven't touched it.
in fact they do the opposite.
it's a friend's favourite lake.
he goes there just to slay the perch and fill his freezer with fillets.
he had a C.O. pull up to his aluminum one day and ask him how many perch he had.
he wasn't sure and told him so.
the C.O. went on to count them all.
he was six over the limit.
the C.O. reached in and grabbed one and swished it in the water until it was revived.
he did this until he found six that hadn't died yet.
now, it was wrong for him to be over the limit.
but, why would there be a limit on perch when they at the same time are adamant about how destructive they are to a watershed.
i've always been confused about that one.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Confused is an understatement for sure. I feel your pain! I will dig up some info of the rumor and share the findings when I get them.
If your out on a lake this long weekend may the fish gods shine down on you duallie! I will be staying home this weekend to finish up the remaining yard work for my better half! Brownie points for the trips planed this summer and fall! :thumbup: :cheers: sage

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was just talking with Mr.T about making a day trip up there soon as well. Let us know how it was if you make it up first!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just got back from 5 days up there. Too windy to fish most of wed-thur Temps were high of 15 and low of 6, and by Friday it was more like highs of 18 and lows of 10. Mostly sunny and calm Friday-Sunday made for amazing times on the water. The wife got snapped off few times. (She is out of practice with the lighter gear), but one or two of the ones that snapper her line didnt give her a chance. The best was about a 5 lb fish flying out of the air with a chironomid in its mouth. 5 head shakes in the air and by the time it landed on the water the line was broken. :(
The highlight of the trip was the sedge hatch. I've heard of it but never witnessed the big travellers scooting across the water. One afternoon while wife was stretching her legs back at camp landed 5 fish on the dry fly in about an hour. Then last night it was the same thing. An hour of heart pounding dry fly casting with 5 fish landed and at least as many hits. Biggest fish of the trip was low 20's. Maybe a couple in the mid twenties that broke off. Didnt hear of anything bigger.
I think the next time the wife and I go there I'll set her up with 12 pound mono.

decent chironomid hatch Friday
damsels hatching in half decent numbers

GOPR0333_zps6a4f8dd7.jpg

·
Registered
593 Posts
I was using 8.4 lb leader and a 6 lb tippet on a 6 weight rod with no break offs. The wife was using a 4 weight, and lighter gear and this was where the issue was.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts