BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning a day trip up there on monday.never fished it before.can anyone shed any useful info on it? is it em only?does it get very windy ? pm me if you wish. really appreciate any info,cuz its a long drive just to get hosed.thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi there, I live on Vancouver Island and will be happy to share any info about fishing here. However, I must say, I do not understand your post at all. What are you asking for? Is this a name of a lake or what???????
Completely confused
Gman

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it was your abbreviation of Electric Motor Only that may have confused him...and others I am sure. Or perhaps he has not heard of this lake, yet saw the term island lake in your subject line and assumed it is on Vancouver Island, a fair assumption. When seeking something from others I make it a point to ensure I am clear as I can be to get my desired result. You are welcome to steal this tactic from me.

Gman if I am making my way to the island to fish I will certainly drop you a note now that we know you are willing to help others out. :)

Big OK is a great lake, one of my favorites put in 7 or 8 days last year on it. Beautiful area, beautiful fish, interesting drive in from the Logan Lake side (the first few times anyways). Tough fishing some days but once you learn a bit about where and what to use it can be a great time. There is one fly that is my go to under the indicator that I discovered by accident on a day where I would have thought the wave action would have made indicator fishing ineffective. It is worth putting in the time on this lake to not only learn but fish in near perfect wilderness and solitude.

Good luck on Monday...I am skipping off to the next topic....

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's plenty of good info there if you take the time to read it. Its a great lake, but with any lake like this you actually do have to pay some dues to find where and what to fish. If you have spent any amount of time on the fly, you'll be able to open your eyes once on the lake and figure it out pretty quick. If not, then asking for the keys to the mansion isn't going to help much anyway.

Look around and see what is hatching, its a good place to start.

There are depth maps online that will show you the shoals and you'll be able to figure out where to go, but its not a big lake so really that isn't a tough one here.

You should already know that it is a trophy lake so obviously it is not going to be easy or fast fishing, so asking for the key to success is kind of hard to do. Each day is different, and you will have to try different flies till you get on one that is of interest to our fishy friends.

He told you it was on an indicator so that narrows things down substantially. After that its just size and colour and you should be prepared with an assortment - change if one isn't working.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
actually an indicator doesnt narrow it down enough :wallbash: could be chronomids, dragons, leeches, blah blah blah. I have read in books that alot of flies can be fished very effectively under an indicator. i have only used chronies myself though (under an indicator that is)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.