BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got more news about a fresh run of fish coming. My sis-in-law is a welder on the docks, in Vancouver, and she mentioned today that as far out as she could see, out in the chuck, there were fish surfacing, finning, jumping, and boiling everywhere. She said she saw several fish in the air at once. Some were poking their snouts above the surface, and many were clearing out of the water and landing on their bellies. She also said that the same fish would jump repeatedly. Some even boiled and just stirred the surface! From how she explained it, sounds like most were coho and chum...I'm assuming. She said that some fish reminded her of pinks, just the way they were jumping. But that's unlikely. She used to work on a commercial salmon vessel, so I know she's pretty accurate.

The location was near the Second Narrows Bridge, near Port Moody. I'm not familiar with that area, so I'm not sure where those fish were heading, but it's exciting! I do know that many times, salmon hang around a bay for awhile, before they carry on, so maybe they're Fraser fish, eh?

Anyways, as before, I just thought it would be info worth sharing.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That's hopeful news! They could be heading for the Cap or Seymour river. I hope so! The cap still should have a good push of fish coming. Or they moving to the Indian river!

Hotrod
>:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Uh, I sure hope you guys are joking.
If not maybe you should get to know your local waters a bit better. Fraser salmon in Burrard Inlet?
Do they hold up there and then go around Stanley Park and UBC to the mouth of the Fraser? (Possibly????)

Burrard Inlet has no connections to the Fraser dudes.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
234 Posts
mrmugs said:
Uh, I sure hope you guys are joking.
If not maybe you should get to know your local waters a bit better. Fraser salmon in Burrard Inlet?
Do they hold up there and then go around Stanley Park and UBC to the mouth of the Fraser? (Possibly????)

Burrard Inlet has no connections to the Fraser dudes.

:beerchug:
Thanks, I knew someone else would jump in...!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your feedback, guys. :cheers: As I said, I don't know that area too well, and I'm kind of new here in the lower mainland, so all this info really helps! I'm an Island boy, so I'm still getting to know the mainland a bit more. :beerchug:

As far as the "obvious" fish heading towards a certain system? I have seen and heard of stranger situations...of fish heading towards a system, then turning right around, and heading towards another area all-together. :hmmm: When I used to commercial fish, on the top-end of the Island, below the Sound, the Fraser Socks would sometimes go on the outside of the Island, as far south as Tofino, then turn all the way around, over top of the Island, swing around, and shoot down the inside. Of course, it all depends if some of those socks were headed towards the WA and OR rivers too. O0

The theory that was poplular was that the outside-off-shore salmon were the American salmon, and the inside slamon were the Canadian salmon. Haha, we used to laugh about that. I mean, you really never know for sure, as salmon can be so unpredictable. :hmmm:

We used to get tagged salmon, from a certain river, that would go up and spawn at a completely different river. Then you have the farmed Atlantics escapees, that would also swim up a river, with the native stocks, but of course, they couldn't spawn there. Bad situation all together.

I guess the only obvious sign of fish belonging to a certain sytem, is when you see a school of fish grouping around the mouth of a river and waiting for rain. ;D

That's my :2cents:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.