BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, out fishing for the big one for the last couple for weekends, haven't had much luck getting any sturgeon over four feet to the boat until today, one fish on all day measured at nine feet, ten inches fork to nose :happy: :happy:, what a monster, three of us on board traded off for one hour and fifteen minutes to get this beast to shore. breached completely clear of the water three times, holy crap!!!!
made my year. Unfortunately only had the camera phone with us so the pictures suck, but what a day on the river for us. Two questions, can any one out there give me a rough idea of the weight and age of this size sturgeon, didn't get a measure of the girth so just looking for a rough estimate on weight.

· Registered
71 Posts
This should give you some sort of an idea, Sorry I can't find my age chart, Hope it helps

INCHES LONG= WEIGHT IN POUNDS

20" = 2 LBS. 78" = 145 LBS. 132" = 724 LBS.

36" = 14 LBS. 84" = 185 LBS. 144" = 943LBS.

48" = 33 LBS. 96" = 276 LBS. 156" = 1202 LBS.

60" = 65 LBS. 108" = 394 LBS. 168" = 1525 LBS.

72" = 115 LBS. 120" = 542 LBS. 180" = 1750 LBS.

AFTER THEY REACH 5 FOOT IN LENGTH EACH FOOT ADDS MAJOR WEIGHT

· Registered
648 Posts
not sure how accurate the chart is, as Friday we caught one 79" in length,that 3 guys could barely lift into the boat. it's girth was measured at nearly three feet!

· Registered
909 Posts
Nice job Woody, Ive heard of quite a few big fish being caught int the past couple weeks out there, how busy was it out there.
Crazy D

· Registered
413 Posts
Shouldn't be lifting them into the boat anyways. How'd you like it if someone held you under water for 3 or so minutes after a struggle of your lifetime. ???

· Registered
30 Posts
fishin30 said:
Shouldn't be lifting them into the boat anyways. How'd you like it if someone held you under water for 3 or so minutes after a struggle of your lifetime. ???

Lol thats true... but sturgeon are tuff fish~ as long as u handle them properly adults can stay out of the water for

almost 24 hours, as long as they're not in direct sunlight.

Very nice Catch Woody

· Registered
648 Posts
fish are documented, measured and tagged, with date, location, size etc. Water poured over the gills while in the sling.think a little more next time, before coming off so righteous.The only way that government knows anything about these fish, is through the voluntary tagging program carried out by those guiding on the river.

· Registered
29 Posts
Heard a story from many years ago. Grandparent caught a sturgeon approx. 6' long. Kept it in the front of a long freighter canoe and fished for another three hours. When done fishing the sturgeon was unloaded unto the rocks in shallow water while unloading boat and the darn thing swam away...crazy

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crazy Drifter said:
Nice job Woody, Ive heard of quite a few big fish being caught int the past couple weeks out there, how busy was it out there.
Crazy D
Not that busy yesterday, only about 5 or 6 boats around the mouth of the Vedder, I thought it was pretty light considering the beautiful day, I've seen as many as fifteen boats anchored there in the past few weeks. I guess everyone is up on the Vedder fishin' coho..

· Registered
648 Posts
strangely enough, the four that we caught were "virgin sturgeon" as far as radio tags, but our guide pointed out the scars in their mouths from past hook-ups, especially the two that were between 6 and 7 feet.

· Registered
735 Posts
Saw you on Saturday with that fish....what a hog!!!

Way to go, we were anchored above you and got into a few "fun" fish, we had a newbie with us so we sat back...watched and laughed....sure was nice weather!!!

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.