BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he guys on the ml. we are getting quite a few mature fish coming trough sooke/victoria area allready :shock: :D . my guess is that they are the first good group of the frasers. we are getting them from 60ft all the way down to winter spring depths. keep pounding and its only a matter of time before one of you guys gets a 25ish. looks to be another stellar year of sooke for the lumpers, last season was april to october 8)

·
Registered
28 Posts
If they are short/stubby, thick and deep, the're likely the first show of Columbians, that are destined for the Fraser River... :D :wink:

I need to get focused ( work on boat - work on boat - work on boat - work on boat ) and say to h** w/ the ol'e lady's kitchen renovation! :?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Columbians

So why do they call them Columbians. I think they should call them British Columbians if they are heading for the Fraser.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the columbians are heading for the oregon coast (columbia river) these one are a little different, i lttle longer with a blunt head, you mlers dont get to see those ones ( i guess they could head down the inside?) they usually start passing here late april-may
i hear ya with get boat done! ive been going for about a month now ( hung the steelie gear early :? ) got a new to me boat for this season that has never been fished so had to throw on 2 sounders, c map plotter, 3 downriggers right down to the kickin stereo and dvd player :twisted: on top of getting the mechanical all tip top and finishing the interior. got a weekend two more to go then ill be back out poundin 8)
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a controversial term.
There has been a long Federal debate between Canada and the US over who's fish these belong to (commercial rights yadda, yadda, yadda). They do look VERY similar. I would't be able to tell them apart.

One thing for sure. If they're OURS, they should show in another week or so! ( work on boat - work on boat - work on boat - work on boat) :D :D :D

Dean.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get that boat done... if they arent there allready. theyve been goin by for a while now :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
RE: Columbians:- only thing running in the Columbia currently are what are know as spring chinook - mostly Snake and Willamette River fish. A very high quality fish with a rich meat that melts like butter in your mouth. Averaging 10-20lbs, they move into Columbia river and tribs March-May wait around for spawn in Aug-Sep. I am no expert by any strench of the imagination but I do believe any of those fish would be milling around Sooke area.

Next Columbia Run are a summer run of chinook know locally as June Hogs. Most run 20-40lbs with plenty over 30lbs. They run Jun-July and are the reminants of the upper Columbia run killed off by the Grand Coolee dam contruction in 1930-40's. That strain of salmon are reported to have been the source of the 100lb Colombia river fish - again, all forced into extinction by the Grand Coulee dam.

Columbia River dams are a very sore subject at present as they are estimated to kill 80% of the ocean bound smolts every summer....and nobody can figure out why we have a salmon run that is perhaps 5% of their historical numbers.

·
Registered
770 Posts
We should look to ourselves in BC too!

Well.there's a lot of things going on in BC waters too..the krill fishery. The herring spawn. Unchecked Native Poaching. An unhealthy Fraser River...then end of the ECVI Coho fishery...etc etc.etc..notice the theme? It's not just the Americans that are guilty...

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it doesnt seem that too many of the columbians travel too much past race rocks / vic waterfront areas then they shoot across to the american side back around cape flattery in wash and down the west coast of wash. but we do get a few of that systems fish around here for sure. i would bet its only a small percenatge that we see as lots of the fish would follow the out side of the bank right to the west coast wash. instead of coming into the straits?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
if you look at my avatar this fish was cought at the mouth of the fraser 2 years ago at a depth of 110ft and was cought in the first week of may on an anchovie with green teaserhead! they are comming this one was 37.5lbs!!!!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
and nice bar of chrome there rib.......

·
Registered
116 Posts
Columbian

So it sounds like some people seem to be calling some of the Fraser River big Springs Columbians. Is that common, or is that just a few guys. Nice fish Coho-killer. Did you get it off Sandheads, or North or South of there?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Columbian

dog said:
So it sounds like some people seem to be calling some of the Fraser River big Springs Columbians. Is that common, or is that just a few guys. Nice fish Coho-killer. Did you get it off Sandheads, or North or South of there?
My reference to them being Columbians was put out there purely in jest. ALL Chinook that run up the Frazer should be/are referred to as being Fraser River Chinook.......Unless you believe that they are destined for the Columbia. :? :lol:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
this fish was cought off the north arm of the fraser river right where the water drops off to around 300 ft as soon as u find that drop off lower the lines!

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Mr. Dean said:
ALL Chinook that run up the Frazer should be/are referred to as being Fraser River Chinook.......Unless you believe that they are destined for the Columbia. :? :lol:
they are taking the back way home :lol:
up the fraser, through a couple ditches under a culvert...............

·
Registered
28 Posts

Fishaholic said:
Mr. Dean said:
ALL Chinook that run up the Frazer should be/are referred to as being Fraser River Chinook.......Unless you believe that they are destined for the Columbia. :? :lol:
they are taking the back way home :lol:
up the fraser, through a couple ditches under a culvert...............

And down the passing lane of the I-5 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
foget over fishing. i wonder how many we loose a year on the i-5 :shock:
they need a salmon lane
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts