BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This "canyon" section is between Ashcroft and Spences Bridge. I want to know who has drifted thru this section at low water conditions(like they are at present) or jet-boated the area?

I have plenty of whitewater experience in canoes/rafts/ and now pontoons and I want to know if this section can be done with appropriate safety gear, a pickup boat, and how long would it take between the two centers with a few fishin' stops along the way?......Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rin, where are you?.......Hey Hook, you know my age. I have whitewatered class 3 & 4 water in rafts, kyacks and canoes......The classification system is based on the average flow of the water and the danger it presents....In other words, you can have big water, and flip your boat/raft/pontoon/ but you have water below that offers a safe pick up by a support boat etc.....Conversely, the same big water may be in a walled canyon with no means of escape or pickup and it will be classified higher because of the danger it presents...
There may very well be some big or heavy water in the area, but can it be skirted,or is it a true hells gate, where there is no bailing out?
This is a very important feature when whitewatering...I need some concrete info on this topic from those in the know........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
151 Posts
My ex did it ONCE, and he was lucky he didn't flip... He was in a whitewater raft.

6 foot standing waves with no way around them was what I heard...

Without google earth to research, would you take a chance?

I wouldn't, they're just fish.

Cheers,
Nicole

·
Registered
151 Posts
LOL!

;D
Nicole

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have no personal experience in Black Canyon. Told some guy sraft through but very few. Maybe take a trip through once from some one like Kumsheen Adventures abd see what the real deal is or spend a day walking or mountain biking the train tracks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Heh Ortho

It has been a long long time - But in the days when I was bullet proof and without fear - it was not low water and I was in a 4m Canova boat ( like a Zodiak) and alone. It was one wild ride and a rush to equal most I have ever had - but I would never do it again in a small craft

I love life more now and live to fish as much as my business allows - taking the Black Canyon on the Thompson head on is not on my list anymore.

I hope this helps

Oakey

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's not a lot of drop for 20 miles of river, unless all the elevation happens to be over a couple of miles....How come you know everything, Proff.??I will be checking with the railroad as well as the rafting companies this weekend to see if this September is possible, even if I have to pack along the tracks a bit. ;D............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ive done ....will never do it in a raft again, Jet boat is the only way to go, run the edges. Rafting down will likely finish you, I have paddled lots of rafts but that one scared me.....you are better off packing around that section....

·
Registered
14 Posts
My bro and family do the Thompson every year in rafts and are in fact heading up today to spend three days rafting. They are very experienced rafters and just came back a couple weeks ago from doing the Grand Canyon (not a guided trip). They always have a blast on the Thompson but always go prepared in case of trouble. Its a big fun river but has some nasty whirl pools. I wouldn't recommend it without someone who knows what they're doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.