BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone been out on sunday to the capilano. any bluebacks pushing into the system. please don't reply about steelhead in the system. water levels should be prime.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was out there today for a couple hours. Nothing really in there yet :( , but there should be soon. One of the two guys I was fishing beside had a fish on briefly, but I think it was one of those unmentionables!

Hey fishey we gotta head out again soon, shoot me a pm, your inbox is full

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
For those of you who have been fishin the cap lately, whereabouts have you been fishin'...? Upper, mid, lower...?

I would imagine there should be some coho pushing in on the tides, and depending on water levels they might not be zipping up as quickly as they would if the water were high...

I am hoping to hit the lower on the high tide sometime this week, will post upon my return...

Good luck everyone, now's the time...looking back on my rather sparse notes, the earliest I have caught a coho on the cap was this week a few years back... ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Rib, I was fishing the upper. Dog leg around that area. Didnt see any coho, but they are in there. Can't wait till there's more! :happy: :thumbup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Fished the lower on Sunday and touched one briefly before it unbuttoned. Friend was into 3 today but not sure exactly where he was although I'd say lower too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was out on Sat for a couple of hours in the lower end, water was in good shape. Didn't touch anything other then a cold brew a (BUD). For me it was a good day to get out and try to cast with a left handed Milner :wallbash:

Rib, they are in there. They will be schooling up in the river, it is just trying to figure out as to where that might be :-\

I checked out the Hatchery yet and nothing has come in yet, but these first ones dont seem to go straight into the hatchery.

My earliest a few years back was Feb 15th out of :naughty: :naughty:

With the water the way it is best to hit the river as offen as one can as you just never know when the push of fish will come in.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
They're starting to move in a little more now! Heard of a few caight in the last couple of days in the lower end.Should get better every day from here on in. I'm hoping the water levels stay prime for when the bigger summer run coho's start. Man they are tasty! We should see them in a couple of weeks. I'll get out today and get a report rom the boys in the lower end and report back!

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The river came up a foot and a half today! The river should stay at a relatively good level for the next month or so. With the highsnow pack I don't anticipate drought levels til mid june at least. It will however fluxuate alot til then weather pending!

No coho for me today!

Hotrod

G

·
last night i started at cable stayed there for 20 mins or so 2 people already there so me and my friend hit up the dog leg for about on hour there was a big steelhead just hanging out off the rocks . we went back to the cable pool about 45 mins before it got dark thats when what little actoin did happen i caught to small trout the funny thing was when i caught the second trout it scared a coho and made it jump ha ha ha nice ???

·
Registered
34 Posts
was out on yesteday for a few hours. started at the dog leg, couldnt see any coho in the water, but there were 2 beauty steelhead just hangin out right next to where i was casting, it wads nice to see those beautiful fish. didnt get any action at dog leg so i moved down to the highway bridge area. no action there either so i just walked the river til the water slowed ,just up from marine drive, but still no action :-[ it was a slow day but a great day on the water. i decide to even give it a go near the train bridge, no action.. but theres got to be some fish around judging by the amount of seals swimmin around down there. i am new to cap fishery, i have been using the spinner blade set up, with pencil lead and from time to time a float. is this the best presentation without getting into bait? any feed back would be handy. thanks

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Spinners will work, I find roebags or gobs work best though...Swinging that spinner of yours across tailouts in the lower river where you were can work well too...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was out there Thursday afternoon. A bunch of wobbly pops later, One blueback landed approx. 2LB, and one lost. Both worked off a gold spinner. A fun afternoon. I guess anytime out in the sunshine with pops is a good time. :cheers:

-Jah

G

·
im on my way up there now i hope the rain holds off .im going to hit the river hard im starting low and working my way up i got a nice arsenal of gear and bait .between me and a friend we will get 1 or 2 ha ha ah :confused: i hope just remember when the fish dont bite use dynamite lol ha ha ah ha :peace:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I caught me my first ho of the year last night. 2 lb or so, 34cm measured. yay :p Caught in tail area of cable on this big rock at bottom of steps (nice spot in high water :D) also hooked a silver bright steelie for like three seconds, just enough to scare me :eek: , i thought i had a snag(river bottom)[not foul hook!] ??? fish unhooked it self, perfect release ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
what is a blueback? is it special? isn't a blueback just a word for coho just like spring is a word for chinook? I know the cap has its wild coho and the little hatchery ones. Isn't that where the segregation ends? ??? I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
lucky M. said:
what is a blueback? is it special? isn't a blueback just a word for coho just like spring is a word for chinook? I know the cap has its wild coho and the little hatchery ones. Isn't that where the segregation ends? ??? I'm confused.
Blueback is the name of these early run coho's that can be anywhere from 1lb to 4lb's.They are very tasty little guys.They run for around three weeks.They are called this because of the very blue backs on them.They are beautiful looking fish. Around early June the Cap has a run of summer run cohos that can get anywhere from 4lb to 8 lbs and hey run until september, then the bigger northern coho's start to come in for the fall run.

So I guess to answer your question blueback is just another word for coho like spring or chinook.Of course the real spring salmon only run in the spring and chinooks in the summer and fall but I have always called them springs no matter what time of year it is!

Hotrod

1 - 20 of 24 Posts