BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to a boat this weekend and can travel within Howe Sound, English Bay, and off the mouth of the North Arm of the Fraser.

I would like to catch a salmon or two, but I don't have access to downriggers. Looking for suggestions for location, gear and techniques to catch a few fish.

Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have only had linited experience with this technique, but you could mooch for them. You attach a banana weight to your line and then tie up a leader use a live herring and just drop it over your boat and let the herring swim wounded and hopefully a salmon comes along and hammers it. That would be my:2cents:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
You could also just go with a weight on your line....and then your flasher/spoon/bait combo behind it. If you're wanting to get down deeper...you'll have a fair bit of line out so be sure you stay away from the "pack". With a LONG amount of line behind your boat you WILL piss people off if you are in tight quarters and risk getting caught up in other guys gear/downrigger lines.

·
Registered
513 Posts
X2 on the Deep 6 or a Pink Lady planer. Caught a ton of fish when I was a kid using planers and spoons.
What about cut plug herring and a banana weight? Amazingly effective at depths up 60 feet or more.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just use a 3 0z lead and a cutplug and you should be fine. You don't need a lot of line out just make sure you are going with the current on your tack. When you finish your tack reel up, boot back and start over again. If you are fighting the current your gear will flutter at the surface and you will be wasting your time IMO.

·
Registered
125 Posts
you can catch lots of fish in top 30ft, you should have no problem with diver or weight.
just dont go near other boats as you are going to drag lots of line behind you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. Bought a diver, flasher, and a few different spoons and hootchies at A&N today.

Now...where to go???

·
Registered
384 Posts
if you just want to catch fish and have a little fun and not fussy, look for pinks jumping and porposing and just cast pretty much anything pink(buzzbombs spoons etc...)their way, crank em in, if you want springs try the above mentioned methods
Tim

should add start watching for pinks anywhere between the bell and south arm.
if you see them jumping or rolling your there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts