BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good marine insurance company and agent in the Vancouver area.
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm not having much luck with the search feature since the site update.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have always used TOS (used to be Defieux Saxelby) in North Van, and have always been pleased with the service. Fortunately, I have not had to deal with them on a claim, but a friend of mine did when he had a very serious accident (vessel holed and sunk) and he was very satisfied with how they handled the claim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use HUB Insurance. The rates are reasonable. Like the above I have not had to use them for a claim, but I've heard nothing but good things.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to work for them(HUB/TOS/Defieux Saxelby) at the Marine insurance office....i was there to establish an auto insurance dept....i would say that from the little experience i had when the marine dept needed my help that they have the most underwriters available to them and this mean more options and better insurance and prices for you....I would call them ....they are among the best.

They are in North Van in Capilano Mall.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
All of our customers are now using Coronation insurance in coquitlam, Kerry DIehl is the guy to talk to , he seems to have the best rates with good underwriters,

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey Big Guy

When I insured my boat in the fall I tried several of the insurers mentioned above and found that Dolphin Insurance in Vancouver had the best rates. They where also recomended by my bank.

Dolphin Insurance
604-261-9200
Dean Almond

Centerpin

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have policy underwritten by Beacon, bought at Hub Int. Seams OK, but never had to use it. I was told to make sure what ever I got included water ingestion among st other things. I have to say, I never really looked around . Any comments on Beacon. All insurance is to much, untill you need it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
All of our customers are now using Coronation insurance in coquitlam, Kerry DIehl is the guy to talk to , he seems to have the best rates with good underwriters,
We also use Kerry at Coronation and highly recommend him - he knows his boats and his rates are great! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I'm probably going to be getting the insurance the end of this week or next week. So any further recommendations would still be appreciated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes we use coronation as well and I have had to deal with a claim and thanks to kerry I have to say Iam very pleased so far this company dose not run and hide when they are up to batt good on them 100% in my book.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for all the recommendations.

I went with Coronation insurance, and dealt with Kerry Diehl. He seemed extremely knowledgeable, helpful and efficient. The price and coverage was better than the policy my cousin (who I just bought the boat from) had on this boat. Part of the reason that I chose Coronation was that they were open late, and seven days a week. They also have a toll free number, for when the unexpected happens far away from home on holidays. Not essential, but it is nice peace of mind to know that you can contact your insurance agent any day should something occur on the water.

Knock on wood, I've never had any major damage or theft happen on any of my boats. Hopefully I won't need the coverage, but I thought I'd go with someone that guys felt confident with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the kind words all, glad I was able to help TheBIgGuy, and others with their needs. I have been doing insurance for 23 years, and specializing in boats for about 5 years now. We have several companies, so we can pick the best coverage and price for your particular boat and use of the boat. Our toll free number is 1-800-663-0676 or GVRD 604-945-0043 and email [email protected] if anyone has any questions, or wants a competitive quote. The company website www.coronationinsurance.com has a quick quote form that you can download and fax back, or scan & email to me for a more detailed quote.

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
A word of caution. Although the agency selling you the policy may be top notch, having a claim resolved depends on the underwriter. I had a problem with my underwriter when my boat was stolen over a year ago. It took a lot of time and money to resolve what should have been a fairly straight forward process. Although I had the agency that sold me the policy backing me up 100%, I had to take the underwriter to court. The claim was settled in my favour, but it was a time consuming and expensive process. I found out that a number of others had the same issue with this underwriter, and they also had to take them to court (and they apparently were successful in having their claims resolved in their favour). So....if you have a policy where the underwriter is Oc**nic, I advise you to get another underwriter ASAP, because it will save you a massive headache.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, what a headache Longstone. Sorry to hear you had such problems. Luckily you got it resolved in your favour. thanks for the heads up. Forewarned is forearmed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just signed up with Kerry Diehl from Coronation. Beacon is the underwriter of the policy. Agreed upon, set value insurance and the premium was almost 1/2 as much as the policy offered by our house insurance agent. Kerry knows boats and got me a good deal. Now I won't have to worry when my buddy borrows my boat (yeah right).
Grant

1 - 16 of 16 Posts