BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just moved here this month. I was living and fishing in New York for the past 2 years. In new york, we used to catch 10X more fish a day from a boat. I wanted to know if its the same thing here? I want to know if its worth investing into a boat strictly for fishing?

I want a saltwater boat, 26 feet or more. Not really for the lakes, more for the bay or ocean.

Is the fishing better from a boat?
Will I catch more species?
Will my season last longer?

One of the reasons Im considering a boat as well is because one of the bait/tackle shop owners gave me really negative feedback about fishing from shore. He was saying that there are a lot of fish, but many people are not polite and just cast over you, or right next to you.

He also said during the salmon run, its practically impossible to find a spot to fish all by your lonesome.

Is he right?

Do i need a boat to catch and relax?

· Registered
3,378 Posts
If you want to catch salmon year round, ya gotta have a boat!........If you want to catch salmon ten months of the year then become a very good bank fisher and enjoy!..............Bank fishers spend more $$$ on fine whiskey...............Ortho 8)

· Registered
3,928 Posts
ashton...

Let's put it this way.....if you don't want to be on the river systems.......and want to fish the salt (way to many old drunks drinking whiskey on the shores of the rivers ;D ;) ;D ;)) then you will NEED a boat for fishing the salt. There is the odd place you may catch fish from the shore but basically that 26' you are talking about is just the ticket.

Here is good thread on what to expect in local waters and some things to think about.

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2356.0

Take some time and have a read through the salt forum and you may also find some good info in the boating forum. Other than that........ask away. Lots of good people on here willing to help out.

Oh....and welcome to the west coast and the forum!!

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Pippen,

This seems like a good site. Already some good info. Ill probably give the shore a shot once the time is right, but I think the boat is seeming like the right thing to do.

Maybe Ill give my older brother the whiskey and have him do the antics of the shore fishermen on my boat. ;)

Do you know what months will produce more from a boat than from shore?

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Ashton,

If you are giving the shore of "saltwater" a shot....you may do okay at a few of the mouths of rivers along the North Shore. There are coho's and springs to be had and pinks are coming this year. I have heard rumors of a few places along the North Shore that you "may" (maybe not anymore) be able to cast for pinks from shore. There are other places heading west from the Capilano river that you may be able to get into some coho's from shore but I am no expert on that, I have just heard tidbits of info. Others may be able to comment on other spots you may be able to cast from shore, for "salty" fish. Other than that you are headed to the rivers that head up the Fraser Valley which include the Fraser, Vedder, Chilliwack etc etc.

If you want to be fishing in the saltchuck (this keeps you away from Ortho and his whiskey drinkin' posse that inhabit the rivers of the Fraser Valley ;D :D) take the plunge and get a boat. The local fishing is pretty good once you get the hang of it. With a 26' you can also venture up to the Sunshine Coast....areas around Bowen Island (good area during the winter months)....or you can head across to the Gulf Islands where you can spend days fishing/cruising etc. Lots of great areas to explore aside from fishing as the inside passage and areas Northwards are some of the most scenic cruising in Canada and the US. I have spoken with Americans from the east coast who come over here to charter boats as they say there is nothing that compares to the areas up here.

A boat offers you the ability to go out for prawns and mmmm......crabs.

Take a look at the thread I posted up as there are lots of things to consider when boating here.....completely aside from fishing. Another good tip if you do get a boat and you have the $$$; go out with a local charter for the day and get some tips and pointers......and better yet.....some fish.

Again.....ask away if you have any questions.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
26' because I always fish with my 2 brothers, my girlfriend, plus guests. I would rather something smaller for the fishing but a bigger boat accomodates us all... especially when the women arent fishing ::)

Anyways, did you prefer fishing from your 17' or would you have had the same results from shore???

· Registered
3,928 Posts
ashtonspoutine said:
26' because I always fish with my 2 brothers, my girlfriend, plus guests. I would rather something smaller for the fishing but a bigger boat accomodates us all... especially when the women arent fishing ::)
Ashton.....you will find once you start exploring more and more of the waters out here that the 26' will be great as you are going to want to start doing excursions longer than just a day.

I understand about always having to keep the "ladies" comfortable and happy......it can turn a day of fishing for the non-fishing ladies into a short fishing day for the fisherMEN. :peace:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
ashtonspoutine said:
Anyways, did you prefer fishing from your 17' or would you have had the same results from shore???
Ashton - It seems to are asking the wrong question. The two experiences are very different. If all you are asking is which method is best for catching the most fish in the least amount of time, my guess is that you would reap a larger harvest from a boat that you could go anywhere with, rather than shore fishing. If all you are after is salmon, you can only reliably target them from shore (freshwater as well as salt) from late summer until late fall. From a boat, you can fish salmon all year round, if you are willing to go to them. For me fishing is always a blast. Catching them is a bonus. A friend of mine once told me he really didn't like to go out fishing unless he was sure he was going to catch lots of fish. I asked him if he liked sex. His reply was "of course."
"Well," I said "you still go to bed every night."

· Registered
71 Posts
professori, I agree, To add to what you said, SEX, GOLF and FISHING are the only things you don't have to be good at to enjoy. :thumbup:

ashtonspoutine, is this about keeping the woman happy?? if it is then the boat is the way to go, the bigger the better, you get to fish and she get to sun tan.

just my :2cents:

· Registered
38 Posts
ashtonspoutine said:

So, now that we understand the priorities…. ;)

Regardless of size, a boat suitable for the chuck opens so many opportunities (fishing and otherwise) and things to see in and around Vancouver that its is a shame to deny oneself of the pleasure of having one. Of course it comes at a price.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot to all you guys who have replied. I used to fish out in NY and was part of this very big online fishing forum out there. There is no way that I could have gotten this much info without someone trashing me for asking such a silly question. Hey, I ask because I dont know!!!
In any case, Im going out tomorrow. Gonna find a nice spot on the beach or by a river, meet some fellow fishermen, and learn how to fish here in BC.

tight lines

· Registered
5 Posts
djjames said:
professori, I agree, To add to what you said, SEX, GOLF and FISHING are the only things you don't have to be good at to enjoy. :thumbup:
True :cheers: , but being skilled keeps your partners wanting to participate :beerchug:

· Registered
303 Posts
professori said:
ashtonspoutine said:
Ashton - It seems to are asking the wrong question. The two experiences are very different. If all you are asking is which method is best for catching the most fish in the least amount of time, my guess is that you would reap a larger harvest from a boat that you could go anywhere with, rather than shore fishing. If all you are after is salmon, you can only reliably target them from shore (freshwater as well as salt) from late summer until late fall. From a boat, you can fish salmon all year round, if you are willing to go to them. For me fishing is always a blast. Catching them is a bonus. A friend of mine once told me he really didn't like to go out fishing unless he was sure he was going to catch lots of fish. I asked him if he liked sex. His reply was "of course."
"Well," I said "you still go to bed every night."

I like this one Proffesori…….. :thumbup:

Ashton,
even though I never been there I heard Desolation Sound is voted third place in the world for his beauty for sailing and cruising. Can’t remember names all I know is:
1-some place in New Zeeland
2- some place in Malaysia
3- Desolation Sound BC!!!!!!
From 22 ft I downsize to 19 ft due to limited parking space, but I have to go there probably this summer.
So if you planning to buy 26 footer Desolation Sound is mandatory!!
Last summer I ask one boater how much fuel is needed to get there, and he said:
“$350.00 for fuel and $500.00 for beverage, and they keep saying fuel is expensive :confused:

Cheers,

Barba

· Registered
303 Posts
From time to time me and my wife will cruise around English bay just for fun and enjoy in sunset it’s amazing……..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.