BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm thinking of buying a Zodiac (40hp engine) but was stumped when I realized that I had to get an official boating licence before anything became legal.

So far I have studied the online course (boaterexam.ca) but was concerned with the material at hand. Personally this seems like really easy stuff; however, what should I expect from the final exam?

I am aware that there are practice exams for free online, but I am looking for a personal suggestion as to the difficulty of the final, and if it is anything like the quizzes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's not tough if you pay attention to course material. It seems basic or even common sense sometimes but that's the stuff that gets most people in a pickle.

Read the material, study the material, understand the material and the write the test.

Its really that simple.

You our can always take a more advanced course if you feel you want it. More money, more time, more info for the user. The marine emergency duties course comes to mind. Not an online course and not very many locations to take the course. Keep in mind the MED is not require for small personal craft.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can tell you that the Federal Pleasure Craft Operators Certificate is the absolute bare minimum that you will want to take. The PCOC is really like a very basic operators licence and really doesn't cover much that a BC boater needs to know to keep themselves safe in our treacherous waters. I would suggest that you look at taking Canadian Power and Sail Squadron Boating 2 & Boating 3 courses to expand your knowledge as well as a VHF course if you are ever going to be out on the salt chuck. Being surrounded by veteran volunteer instructors with decades of experience in a classroom environment is very worthwhile. Advanced Piloting, Seamanship and Fundamentals of Weather are excellent courses if you are going to be doing any extended back-country or coastal cruises.
Check out http://boatingcourses.ca/provinces/british-columbia

·
Registered
6 Posts
i paid the 49$ and ate pizza, smoked a bong, and watched 3 hours of crappy cartoons while getting my licence . its a joke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts