BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I was thinking of taking my 12ft princecraft across Pitt Lake to get to the upper river. It's equipped with a 15hp 2 stroke engine.

My concern is safety; I have read there are strong winds on the lake and weather can change quickly. What are your guys experience or thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not that it can't be done, but I would say don't do it. Unless you don't mind pulling into shore and waiting out the waves, for hours. I know of a few guys that that have done it, but the waves on that lake will kick up out of no where, and can be over 6ft high.

Bergler and a couple others run that lake on a more regular basis, I'm sure no one would want to be the one to say, try it though. It only takes one wave to put you under, and there aint no roads back.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Have to agree with Eimaj, Pitt lake can be very nasty and it kicks up really fast, seven foot waves are not unheard of up there, even if you did make it to the river
it's pretty fast running and very dangerous in spots, not the place for a boat of that size or power. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
708 Posts
what are you going to do when you get to the end of the lake? You will not be able to run your prop boat very far if at all up the upper river and it will be a 10km plus walk to get to the start of decent fishing? footer is kind of small for carring motor bikes, etc.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'll third the caution to that lake, it gets pretty ugly pretty fast sometimes. If it does GET TO SHORE and wait out the storm. You would be OK on a trip up during a nice summer day, bring your mountain bike and cruise up the logging road a while. Only problem is there is no public dock at the other end, and the tides. Makes it hard to leave your boat at the head of the lake.

·
Registered
247 Posts
DO NOT TRY IT!!! i did this once in my 12ft with a9.9 and although the trip up was calm water and about 3/4 tank of fuel, good thing i had 2 25L tanks, the way home was freakish, easily 5-6 ft waves and a few good swampings of the boat had us bailing like crazy till we figured out that i needed to let her ride abit up the wave then power thru and coast down the other side. at the time a search for a missing plane was happening so search and rescue was close but not needed, we were more than 2/3 of the way back when we had to take to the shore on one of the islands and waited it out for about 4hrs and then made a run for it, still some good sized waves out there but we got in unscathed, but it was not a day i'd ever repeat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Im glad I read this post before I went out there. I’ve got a 12 footer and always wish to get to the other side of that lake but I think I’ll wait till I get a bigger boat. I’ve got a different question about Pitt Lake though.... In a 12' Lund with 25hp... where are some decent spots to fish? I’ve made it to the first large Island in the past but no luck. Im a pretty experienced fisherman and I have my boat rigged with a fish finder and downrigger.
Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
a 12 foot boat with a 9.9 needs two 25L tanks to make it to the back of pitt lake? Wow... I can make it to the back of Indian Arm and back to cates park and use less than a half tank. If someone was to go to the back of Pitt Lake with a 12 foot boat and 9.9hp kick and the water was smooth how long of a trip is it? 2.5 hours each way?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My boat cruises around 30Mph, takes me about 50 minutes to get from the mouth of the Allouette Launch to the head of the lake. Same for the return trip.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
No, the launch at Grant Norrows is known as Pitt Polder. The Allouette Launch is downstream in the Lower Pitt about 5km. Right around addington island and upstream of the PItt River Birdge (Lougheed Highway)

·
Registered
167 Posts
try to ignore the crusty 'know it all' old irritant that runs the launch by alouette, he always has something to say i've had a few sarcastic conversations with him. Although i haven't been there for about 5 years, maybe he's taken his crustiness elsewhere? :happy:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Pitt meadows Marina is now under neww management. It was sold to an older couple two yers ago and just this year a larger company has taken over ownership and management of the marina. Run by Peter and Chris(?) I think from Absolute welding (The guy with the large sasquatch aluminum boat, now painted over). They are good guys, I have chatted with them a few times. The launch now has interact and cash as there is an attendant on during working hours. There is also a parking machine that takes coin and credit.

By far the best launch around, holds 3 trailers at a time and there doesn't seem to be the amount of launch idiots as there is at Pitt Polder. Some of those people take forever to launch a boat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh quit your crying over boat launchers. Everyone has the right to launch a boat and if it takes one guy a little longer than the next so what. Have some patience! Some people are seasoned Vets who can launch a boat in seconds and others are new with limited experience that will make mistakes and take more time. And over time, with respect from others, they will get it right.
We are all on this Earth and get to enjoy the worlds lakes rivers & oceans equally. Please dont be one of those idiots who honk and swear and make it an unpleasant experiance at the launch.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
BCfisher said:
Oh quit your crying over boat launchers. Everyone has the right to launch a boat and if it takes one guy a little longer than the next so what. Have some patience! Some people are seasoned Vets who can launch a boat in seconds and others are new with limited experience that will make mistakes and take more time. And over time, with respect from others, they will get it right.
We are all on this Earth and get to enjoy the worlds lakes rivers & oceans equally. Please dont be one of those idiots who honk and swear and make it an unpleasant experiance at the launch.
Take it easy BCF, I definitely am not a yeller. I am a calm person by nature. However, people should be educated on boat launch etiquette. First, you should know how to back up a trailer before even attampting to launch your boat. Second, have your boat prepped to be launched before you back it down the ramp (leave the front winch connected of course), have your boat loaded with your gear/provisions for the day before backing down the ramp, strapping your boat down while still on the ramp instead of back in the parking lot etc. etc....

It is understandable that some are faster than others at the launch, I pride myself on being able to launch the boat in just a couple of minutes. It is the ones who sit there for 10 minutes trying to get all of the above mentioned done while sitting on the ramp making others wait who could have been in and out a couple times over.

My main complaint about Pitt Polder is not only the amount of boaters who launch there for such a small launch (unless you use the gravel which nobody ever does ;) ) but the blatant disregard for others while launching or loading thier boats. Have you used this launch much? If you do you'll know what I mean!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Right on steelie i'm with you 100% re launch etiquette.
Think i'll try that launch again now that old crusty the clown is gone

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ahhhhhh I get it now. Sorry for snapping at ya. Its just I have seen people act like jerks at launches before and I feel really bad for the guys who just cant get that boat straight. Its really frustrating. I totally agree with you about having your grear and boat prepped before you are in the launching area.
Happy Fishing All...... ::)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts