BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been on the Stave since the dam (bought meanings) construction has started.

I realise that the parking is a disaster so I thought that maybe I could launch my tin boat on the south side of the Fraser across from the river area and boat across and up the Stave.

I have never looked at or crossed over the Stave at Lougheed HYWY so I have a question to pose to all you experts of the area..........

Can I motor my boat under the rail and hywy bridges during high tide to get up into or out of the river???

I have seen lots of jetboats up the river but do not know if they cruised into the river or launched in the river.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
x 2 on Hendy's post. I was in there yesterday in an 18' fish/ski prop. Idled all the way with no trouble down to 3' in one spot at low tide. Water is clear so a spotter can easily see stumps ect.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The water is generally pretty clear so it is easy to spot any obstacles. The depth is determined from the amount of water being spilled from the dam as well as the tides. There are times when there is very little flow coming out of the lake via the dam and this can drop the levels a bit. Take along a friend to keep their eyes open. There is approx. 3 hrs. difference from Pt. Atkinson low to the Stave low.....Acess under the rail bridge is really only limited during the Fraser freshet where the clearance can be very limited to larger boats........Ortho

·
Registered
151 Posts
One of the things I worry about on the Stave is the amount of logging hardware littering the bottom. Having waded most of the river at low tide/low water I have seen all sorts of cable and chain and bits of equipment poking up through the mud waiting to catch a leg or propeller - quite often it's easy to mistake the hardware for a shadow or a small stick. It has kept me from taking my family boat (18 foot bowrider) in there even though I desperately want to fly fish from a boat in there. Even if you could map all of the hazards, I worry that the continuing movement of log booms through the lower river can either change the existing hazards or add new ones. Everyone has their own comfort zone on these issues and mine keeps my boat out of there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks! Is the lower fraser sketchy as far as gravel and other hazards are? Or can I motor up in the dark without falling out of the boat? I've heard horror stories from friends about hitting gravel bars, but I think they were above Mission.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
A friend of mine put his boat on shore and did about 15 grands worth of damage to it below Mission on the south bank when he hit a deadhead. Also knocked out his two front teeth. I wouldn't go in the dark unless you have a pretty good set of lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.