BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bon Chovy Fishing Charters Report, Sept 17

The West Vancouver shoreline and the Capilano mouth have continued to kick out good numbers of chinook salmon over the last week. This fishery is now coming into its prime as we get into late September and October. This truly unique urban fishery minutes from downtown will be the focus of the local Vancouver fleet for the next 4-6 weeks. Fishing the flood tide with herring and anchovies has been and will continue to be the ticket to success. Over the last week we have had good success with several multiple fish days. We have been hooking anywhere from 3-6 chinook salmon per charter over the last week. As we progress into late September we should see increasing numbers of chum an coho salmon as well.

The Fraser Mouth is also a really good bet for chinook during September. The Bell Buoy, T-10 marker, Sandheads, and the North Arm are typically good for Fraser bound chinook salmon this time of year. We will venture down off the Fraser on our longer charters when the tides are not condusive to fish the Cap mouth.

Call us to book a charter!

Jason/Jeff
www.bonchovy.com

Attachments

·
Banned
228 Posts
tiller Do you think there's still a good chance for good numbers of chum & chinook to pass through? There was talk of the 250 000 should show up... "chinook" Possibly fish are just late in arriving. I remember 4 or 5 yrs ago in the early part of Sept dad & I boat a small k&c 13ft 35hp & took it out for our first outing on the Fraser at Steveston... wAS KINDA NERVOUS as this was all new to me...backing a boat in the water etc... I remember 1000's & 1000's of salmon jumping everywhere even close to the boat!!! The next day we were back on the water only this time with rods & fishing lics. Didn't see one fish ha! Anyways we've got dif. boat now 16ft Arima 7ft 6" beam even a chuddy down rigger etc... as we needed the extra safety. But ya what do ya think? Still should be some good numbers still to arrive...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arima, I think the bulk of the Fraser chinooks are probably in the river by now. There was a pretty good bump of Fraser bound white chinook in late August and early September, but has been slow since. There is an outside chance that there might be another wave coming through but it is getting into October. The typical Vancouver hotspot for chinooks this time of year is off West Vancouver for the Capilano bound chinook. We have been fishing there quite frequently with reasonable results. Somedays we get a handful of chances of chances at fish and sometimes you have to grind it out for a shot at one. Yesterday morning was okay, we landed a 22 pound red spring (still bright), a jack, and lost a decent fish. This morning was quite a bit slower with the high water. I would imagine and hope that there will be a couple more waves of chinooks heading to the Cap this month.

·
Banned
228 Posts
tiller Thanks for info...there's a positive chance for fish still to be caught... But any day out on the water smelling the sea breeze & scenery is a satisfying & enjoyable. If the day depended on catching a fish then one sets themselves up for failure...Just to get out of the crowded city or subs & out on the water in itself is like a relaxing mini vacation!!! At least that's how I feel after a day of boating. Have a good one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.