BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, A few of us are heading up there this week to camp and fish. Anyone have any insight on this lake. None of us has ever been there and we will all be fly fishing from float tubes. I have been told that there are many lakes in that area that are productive. Any help and advise is much appreciated. maybe some help on fly selection or where to start???

cheers
and tight lines
:twisted:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
awesome lake

wagonmaster and myself have fished there twice and both times had a blast we found when we were there the best fishing was on the end where the boat launching area is (gravel slope) LOL

we actually fished from shore half of the time and caught lots or we only had to kick out 100 feet in the tubes to fish it was great

there are some big boys in there but the average was around 2-4 lbs i would say

let me know how you do and what location on the lake you find most of your fish are being hooked

thank you

HOOK

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't know if you've left yet, buzzcatcher, but, I would be prepared to change location ( i.e.- elevation) as I believe alot of the lakes in that area as well as nearby, which are approximately the same in elevation are already turning over. I was up fishing the Kane valley lakes as well as others starting with Harmon on April 28/06. We fished Friday afternoon for a couple of hours and were into fish to 7lbs, but the bite was pretty short. We fished the next day, barely got a touch, and then got blown off the lake with 60km winds. We fished it the next day, caught fish 3-6lbs but again the bite was of short duration. The other lakes opened the next day(May 1st) so we set up at Englishman on Sunday nite, to get ready for the next morning. Monday we got 3" of snow and a really depressed barometer. Fished Englishman Tues. morn before deciding that it had already started to flip. It was that horrendous wind that started it. The ice came completely off these lakes on about April 26th. Englishman starts turning rapidly in these conditions as it is small and mostly shallow( Deepest hole is 31ft)We wen't up in elevation to another lake that sits at just over 4000ft. The ice came off at 4:00 in the afternoon when we arrived and I thought "Wow" !!! But the fishing never really produced, and the fish were stationary in a 50ft hole suspended at 35ft. They were reachable but would'nt bite. Caught a few but, pretty slow for a lake that the ice "just" came off. The weather was warmer and a fair amount of midge activity was going on but the fishing was not on. A friend that was to join us that morning but got stuck in really deep mud( the road up near the lake was in really poor condition with lots of snow)managed to get a couple of Fish B.C. guys to pull him out, and he opted to head down to Kane lake, as one of our guys had caught a 10lber there that morning. We went there the next morning and it was over. It was the only fish and only bite anyone had in two days. Anyway, look for the tell tale signs of turnover, ( floating debris including snails and suspended glassworms) and don't kick a dead horse!!!!!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was hoping for some better news. We expected afew to be turning, but that sounds like more than a few. Just might have to drink more beer then :lol: Hope I bring back better news!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW... we just got back from Boss. We hooked into many fish. All averaging about 2 to 3lbs. There were a few 5lbers caught though. Nice during the day with an afternoon wind. But cold at night.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
glad to hear you had a blast at BOSS

good to see you didnt listen to the negative feedback people gave you

and i was right on the ball about what i told you about that little lake

and yes it gets pretty f-ing cold at night up there

whereabouts was the best fishing (what end of the lake) what were you getting them on as well?

thanks

HOOK

·
Registered
55 Posts
[Things change sometimes sooner sometimes later. If you call my post negative feedback I suppose you should re-read my post as all I was implying was that you should be prepared for a worst case scenario. To think that any one person can predict what the seasons will do from year to year, lake to lake in this age of changing climate is preposterous. Did you fish at all last year? If you did then maybe you would understand that there are no givens anymore. Everything without exception last year was at least a month early. I would love to see some pics to verify your " Right on the ball " That would be great as I know people that were there who also know what's going on.quote="HOOK"]glad to hear you had a blast at BOSS

good to see you didnt listen to the negative feedback people gave you

and i was right on the ball about what i told you about that little lake

and yes it gets pretty f-ing cold at night up there

whereabouts was the best fishing (what end of the lake) what were you getting them on as well?

thanks

HOOK[/quote]

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well i actually fish up there a few times a year in various interior lakes

so NO i did not "take a stab in the dark"

i watch the weather changes very closeely and was actually up fishing a couple lakes in around merritt two weeks prior to Buzzcatcher going, and the lakes that we had tried that day were just finishing their turnovers which yes made for some tough fishing

so thank you for attemting to make me sound "uninformed"

i would have not said anything if i hadnt been up there myself

thank you

HOOK

P.S. and saying negative feedback OK maybe was wrong word to use

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
HA HA HA HA Rosco thats hilarious

I mean we all know whats coming soon

"the bottom bouncing epedemic" in the smaller systems

HA HA HA HA

I love it

HOOK

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fish only for fun and to escape for a few days. So settle down boys. We caught most of our fish infront of the gravel boat launch, we just worked our way around to the right. lots of fish jumping those days!!!! We were using dymanite :roll: .....just kiddin fellas. Mostly leaches with red and black with a red and brass bead head. And a few homemade patterns. All had black in them with some sparkly green or red.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well if you read what he put and where he was getting into his fish

then it wasnt such a "stab in the dark" now was it nor was it a lucky shot

the reason that my dad and i havent gone back there was the fact we like fishing tunkwa/leighton better because the town of logan lake is so close if we need anything

it is just horrible that the awesome people dont have their fly shop there anymore :( :( its really sad to see

and i never once said i was a "god" or "that i lived there" i gave the advice i had and it was GOOD

and to be honest with you i have been fishing almost 30yrs. so ya...........

and what you said about salmon/steelhead i have even more advice on that then trout :wink: :wink:

so keep your pants on and we can stop this little TIFF cause it is only fishing advice everyone has some even the guys that have no clue IE bottom bouncers in the vedder/chehalis systems using braided line :(

thanks

HOOK

·
Registered
517 Posts
all right children, lets all drop the issue, hold hands and sing a few verses of the Barney Song to help us forget our diferences. If Barney ain't your cup of tea, how about a lively folk dance and a rousing Irish drinking song??? Seriously, let's quit getting up in arms about little differneces. geez, i mean i thought you guys were all grown men??? :lol: everyone has their opinions. leave it at that boys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
[You say that 2 weeks before buzzcatcher went on his trip you fished a couple of lakes one day, around Merritt. They must have been the lowest elevation lakes for the region, probably Stump, possibly Nicola. Any of the higher elevation lakes starting with Courtney, Marquart, would not have been turning yet. The lakes at the 34-3600ft mark in the Kane valley and pike mountain area were barely off by a day or so. If these are the lakes that you speak of then there is no possible way that they had " Finished turning over " let alone started. Did you do surface to bottom temperature readings? Better yet, did you do a dissolved O2 test. How did you come to the conclusion that the lakes were done flipping? Please let all of us know, instead of trying to impress the neophytes with diatribe. We're all eyes. barelyquote="HOOK"]well i actually fish up there a few times a year in various interior lakes

so NO i did not "take a stab in the dark"

i watch the weather changes very closeely and was actually up fishing a couple lakes in around merritt two weeks prior to Buzzcatcher going, and the lakes that we had tried that day were just finishing their turnovers which yes made for some tough fishing

so thank you for attemting to make me sound "uninformed"

i would have not said anything if i hadnt been up there myself

thank you

HOOK

P.S. and saying negative feedback OK maybe was wrong word to use[/quote]

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
it is funny you would ask what lakes we fished cause yes Stump was one and nothing there so we moved to Courtney and it had already turned for the most part and soem fish were being taken

and the Damsels for some reason were hatching like mad that day as well in Courtney

so thanks

HOOK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts